Mock x country planning question

Tony R

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Atrosa
During this downtime I'm just researching some destinations i would like to go to and noticed that bar harbor Maine has rw17/35 but in the airport notes it says magnetic is 33. When do they repaint and re-label the rw? I could just imagine myself looking at my compass and the rw markings when about to depart thinking... Oh am I in the right place?
Btw I'm a low time student... If that wasn't obvious enough.
content://media/external/file/86301

Don’t know when they’ll repaint it, but every five years, the FAA reevaluates the shifts in the pole (magnetic variation) and makes changes to runways and flight procedures as necessary. In the meantime, I would just note the difference (runway number vs. magnetic heading) and plan accordingly. It’s not really a big deal.

I don't know what the "official" schedule is, but at our home field, we had 3/21 for a couple of decades or more, but the last few years it was way closer to 4/22. With a complete runway re-do pending they just let it go for a few more years, then when the new surface was done, changed over. Also the change took awhile to ripple through Chart Supplement, and then on to other private guides, NOTAMs are the most current info. And, as said, it's not that big a deal.

Thank you. I must burn into my brain: If is written it is True. If you hear it is Magnetic. My airport has 3/21 as well. I'm learning at 4B9. I think ours was pretty lined up. again.... low time student., now low time, nonflying (stupid COVID) student. Trying to not lose what I learned.

Where did you find the 330 figure? I found it on the SkyVector.com airport info page and it says, "330° True", which makes it clear.

Your rule of thumb, "If is written it is True. If you hear it is Magnetic", isn't universal. It's just a way to help you remember how to interpret wind direction on weather reports and broadcasts.

upload_2020-6-1_13-38-2.png

Back