Mock Oral Checkride Help by Phone?

shawjames

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
S. James
I am very close to my Private checkride. I've done an in-person mock oral with another instructor at my school, and there were some things for me to work on. I learned so much from the mock oral with a different instructor... at times, my normal instructor will finish my answers for me if I stumble, and I think I have become reliant. Definitely need to break that habit before my checkride! There are frequent schedule conflicts at my school, so I thought I would reach out here to see if any instructor would like to give me a mock oral by phone?

Anyone interested? I'd be willing to pay, whatever is fair... can do Paypal.

Fly on!
S. James

I am very close to my Private checkride. I've done an in-person mock oral with another instructor at my school, and there were some things for me to work on. I learned so much from the mock oral with a different instructor... at times, my normal instructor will finish my answers for me if I stumble, and I think I have become reliant. Definitely need to break that habit before my checkride! There are frequent schedule conflicts at my school, so I thought I would reach out here to see if any instructor would like to give me a mock oral by phone?

Anyone interested? I'd be willing to pay, whatever is fair... can do Paypal.

Fly on!
S. James

Have you watched the 3 videos floating around on youtube?
Also, how did you do on your written?

Have you watched the 3 videos floating around on youtube?
Also, how did you do on your written?

I'll look for some videos on you tube, thank you for that idea!

On my mock written I got 90, but only 83 on my actual.

I'll look for some videos on you tube, thank you for that idea!

On my mock written I got 90, but only 83 on my actual.

That's about normal I think... the actual will usually be 5-10 less than the practice tests.

@stjames pm me if you'd like a chat.

If only we got 3 lifelines during our actual oral portion.... I think I'd like to phone a friend on that one...

If only we got 3 lifelines during our actual oral portion.... I think I'd like to phone a friend on that one...

You get a whole bunch of lifelines. Bring your FAR/AIM along, with key sections tabbed. Your instructor will almost certainly let you look up things you would ordinarily use during preflight. You won't get away with looking up spin recovery, but you will for looking up airworthiness items (e.g.).

The only problem with one of those videos is it's dang close to perfect. A real oral doesn't have to be THAT good to pass. Mainly, don't BS.

That's about normal I think... the actual will usually be 5-10 less than the practice tests.

I was mad at myself for getting less then my mock, but I guess it was my nerves that got to me. It was the first actual test I've taken in about 20 years!

Thanks..I've seen one of the three. Watching the McAir Aviation one now (in the background while I work)...really good so far.

Yes, great videos - I watched the first, and am on the second (McAir) - I'll watch these a few more times before my test.

Any good videos for weather to recommend? I think I am a little weak on my weather flight prep.

It would help if you did that with an instructor familiar with the examiner you are using. All DPEs follow the same PTS, but each have their own style of approaching the oral portion of the test.

It would help if you did that with an instructor familiar with the examiner you are using. All DPEs follow the same PTS, but each have their own style of approaching the oral portion of the test.

:yes:

To the OP: Watching videos is all fine and dandy, but this is really something your CFI (or another instructor that he recommends) should be doing with you one-on-one. And it can't be done over the phone to be effective. With the scenario based exam style that most all DPE's use now, most of the videos and exam books are pretty much useless.

As Brad said above, checkride prep is A LOT about knowing the individual DPE's style. While they all follow their FAA guide books and the PTS, there are differences with each DPE. Some put more emphasis on the cross-country planning. Some on chart knowledge. Others spend more time on aircraft systems. You get the idea.

An instructor or mentor well versed in the DPE's style can best prepare you for the test with a face-to face prep session.

And please remember: The "Oral" portion of the checkride does not end when you get out to the airplane!!

Good Luck!

I'll give you a good run down if you want to do a mock oral over the phone sometime. I've signed applicants off for various certificate and ratings from Sport all the way up to CFI, so I'm familiar with what most examiners are looking for when they ask about topics covered by the PTS.

CFI/CFII/MEI

Maybe I've just taken a bunch of tests in my life so I'm jaded, but you know where you need help, if any...and if you don't then your CFI has failed you.

I had a great CFI and appreciated flying with him because of his experience. He was a 30k hour ATP and A&P who flew anything with or without wings (he got his hot air balloon ticket while he was instructing me). I wanted a CFI to teach me how to fly and how to save my ass if/when the time comes. He's a busy guy who didn't take many students and I assured him that I would be the easiest student he ever had. I labored over subjects that I initially had trouble with and read everything I could, watched youtube videos explaining topics and used this board to expand my knowledge in areas that were initially hard for me truly understand (ie; TAS vs IAS, etc...).

I didn't do a mock oral...at all. But, as I studied material that I KNEW would be asked (because it's on the PTS) I acted as if I were teaching it to someone else. If you really want to know if you know something - try teaching it. My CFI knew I was ready just based on the conversations we would have pre/post flight. He'd throw questions out during lessons and along the way that was his barometer to determine if I was ready or not.

The oral exam is one of the easiest you'll ever take - you have a copy of exactly what the examiner is going to ask you. Verbatim.

I'd say spend your valuable time making sure you really understand topics that you know you are fuzzy with instead of someone asking you the same questions over and over that you already know.

You are going to do a lot better once you're in there and you get the first few questions under your belt. I'm sure your examiner, like most, will be very conversational and will prod you from time to time as well. They know when you're on the right track and will push you along from time to time vs someone who they can tell has no clue.

My examiner told me that he can tell within the first 10 minutes if someone is going to make it through the oral.

Just grab the PTS and go through it with a fine tooth comb. (your examiner will have a copy of it in front of him/her during the oral as they are checking topics off the list...it's like cheating!! :)) If there's anything on there that you can't talk about conversationally or better yet explain it or teach the concept to someone else then that's where you need to be spending your time.

Good luck - you'll do fine.

Last edited:
I labored over subjects that I initially had trouble with and read everything I could, watched youtube videos explaining topics and used this board to expand my knowledge in areas that were initially hard for me truly understand (ie; TAS vs IAS, etc...).

But, as I studied material that I KNEW would be asked (because it's on the PTS) I acted as if I were teaching it to someone else.

...it's like cheating!!

Amen! :) So many here want to ace the written by remembering the answers to the random questions the FAA asks to test how broadly the applicant knows the material. That method leaves a lot of gaps even with a 100%.

That said, I'm in favor of mock orals. :) More than just one, too. Many examiners (CFIs also) have a slightly different way of asking the usual questions, which can throw an applicant off their game. Practice at catching the question, identifying which task in the PTS it pertains to and then giving your answer helps a whole lot.

dtuuri

Back