Mo Trivia

I'm really going out on a limb here but I'm going to say a North American P-51D Mustang. Although it could be a Cavalier...or maybe a J3 Cub. Dunno.

Yep, a -D model Mustang. The canopy has been modified to allow a jump seat behind the pilot.

A Cavalier would have tip tanks.

Can't be a Cub because everyone knows a Cub is always painted Cub Yellow, unless you're a news reporter.

Fast n' Furious said:
I'm really going out on a limb here but I'm going to say a North American P-51D Mustang. Although it could be a Cavalier...or maybe a J3 Cub. Dunno.

Ahh Steve,
Beware the absolute! Many Cav Mustangs were build and delivered without those hideous tip tanks. Check out this website http://www.swissmustangs.ch/32128.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*
for some really nice pictures and a history of the breed. Still the ultimate airplane as far as I'm concerned. Turns my head everytime I hear one and hope it does the same for you.

My bad. I've only seen Ed Shipley's with the tip tanks.

I like 'em enough to volunteer all week at OSH parking them.

:)

Fast n' Furious said:

Ahh Steve,
Beware the absolute! Many Cav Mustangs were build and delivered without those hideous tip tanks. Check out this website http://www.swissmustangs.ch/32128.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*
for some really nice pictures and a history of the breed. Still the ultimate airplane as far as I'm concerned. Turns my head everytime I hear one and hope it does the same for you.

Hey, not a problem at all good Sir. I'm kinda amazed that someone would make an informed comment about a Cav Mustang to begin with. You are obviously a Mustang-o-file and that is worth big points. :D

I'm going with just about everyone here. It's a North American P-51D with the jump seat. I'll take one. Let me know when it'll be delivered! :goofy:

It's an aeroplane that's not going to go far.
Looks like the tail is tied down, the pitot tube cover is on and what's the other one?...aileron gust lock?

It's too bad.

Apperantly at one point my grandpa bought a P-51.

He then decided that it had no use to him for cropdusting and burned too much fuel....and sold it.

Oh how I wish he wouldn't have.

Fast n' Furious said:

Nope......

TDKendall said:
I'm going with just about everyone here. It's a North American P-51D with the jump seat. I'll take one. Let me know when it'll be delivered! :goofy:

Nope......

Last edited:
Okay, this just got boring. It's a Winnebago. I saw one that looked just like this one....today. Really lousy gas milage and tough in the wind. Or it's still a J3 Cub despite the apparent fact that it's not yellow. :D

Then it must be a replica. The pic has been d-rez'd so much the details are fuzzy.

I vote for a Titan T-51.

Henning said:
Nope......

Nope......

Mooney prototype, fer sur

Steve said:
Then it must be a replica. The pic has been d-rez'd so much the details are fuzzy.

I vote for a Titan T-51.

Not a replica, front line WW II aircraft that saw action.

Pilawt said:
Ah, HAH, there is a roundel under that wing. I'll bid it's a Mustang Mk. 20, assembled by Commonwealth Aircraft Corp. for RAAF.

-- Pilawt

Close...oh so close one thing wrong with the above and something omitted.

I believe those are New Zealand markings. But NZ did not get any Mustangs until 1945 and those were built in the US.

If that is not a North American P-51 then it is an aircraft built under license from North American. And if that is the case it is no less a P-51 than the engines built by Packard are no less Merlins.

I think this might be the plane:

http://www.adf-serials.com/gallery/Mustang-A68-170

Last edited:
Pilawt said:
OK, is that the CA-18 Mk. 23 in the RAAF Museum? I thought the Mk. 21-23's didn't get into service until after V-J Day.

-- Pilawt

Yep, although I was told this one saw combat, though it may have been in Korea.

A paint job does not a pedigree make. I want a serial number, a picture of the ID plate, and a note from your Mom. Whatever.....

Fast n' Furious said:
A paint job does not a pedigree make. I want a serial number, a picture of the ID plate, and a note from your Mom. Whatever.....

I'm gonna head on down to Tyabb and I'll get a note from my buddies mom, she owns one of the other CA 17/CA 18s flying down here, I see if I can get a pic of her data tag. BTW, rides are $850 for 20 minutes...:hairraise:

Last edited:
I can only imagine what an hour in Crazy Horse is going for these days. Is the museaum that this airplane belongs to, like Chino, a flying operation? Pretty cool find there Henning! Sure it isn't a J3 Cub? Have a great day and thanks for the pic. :D

Fast n' Furious said:
I can only imagine what an hour in Crazy Horse is going for these days. Is the museaum that this airplane belongs to, like Chino, a flying operation? Pretty cool find there Henning! Sure it isn't a J3 Cub? Have a great day and thanks for the pic. :D

This particular plane along with one of its sister ships belongs to the RAAF Museum with both of them flying. Some othe aircaft they have are static, while others fly as well. My buddies moms flies as well as do her 2 Harvards (T-6s) and Vampire jet while some of her planes are still in restoration.

Back