Mixing Fuel....?

Sticky1

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sticky1
Since the price of fuel is increasing, has anyone tried mixing 100ll avgas with 98 car gas...?

Put me down for a No.

There's some silly thing about operating within compliance to the TCDS and an STC (properly recorded in the aircraft logs).

Operating outside of what's authorized (STC) could void insurance even if an accident is not due to an engine issue. It only needs to be discovered during the investigation.

Since the price of fuel is increasing, has anyone tried mixing 100ll avgas with 98 car gas...?

My low compression O-470-L absolutely LOVED a 50/50 mix of 100LL and regular unleaded MoGas. It reduced both the octane and lead to levels much closer to those it was intended to run on (80 octane avgas).

However, a Missouri law mandating Ethanol went into effect the first of the year so now it's fouled plugs and/or MMO.

Ethanol sucks...for many, many reasons.

My low compression O-470-L absolutely LOVED a 50/50 mix of 100LL and regular unleaded MoGas. It reduced both the octane and lead to levels much closer to those it was intended to run on (80 octane avgas).

However, a Missouri law mandating Ethanol went into effect the first of the year so now it's fouled plugs and/or MMO.

Ethanol sucks...for many, many reasons.
It needs to be addressed. I'd start with the agency that overseas fuel regulation issues. Along with it, contact the governor's office with the concerns. Legislatures put this BS out there to look good to voters and never consider all the consequences.

I'm sure there has to be a pilot or two in the MO legislature. But, either they are ignorant or don't care.

It needs to be addressed. I'd start with the agency that overseas fuel regulation issues. Along with it, contact the governor's office with the concerns. Legislatures put this BS out there to look good to voters and never consider all the consequences.

I'm sure there has to be a pilot or two in the MO legislature. But, either they are ignorant or don't care.
I doubt it will work. I think the Ethanol lobby hired all their people form Sicily. :D;)

A reprieve...for now

Well, I found out last week that the MO law requiring a 10% ethanol MoGas blend applies only to regular. There is no requirement for premium. I called a few locally owned chains and two of them stated that their premium didn't have ethanol. I performed field tests and confirmed this.

So...we're back in business burning a 50/50 mix thus reducing the lead content and eliminating the fouled plug issue that old O-470's experience when burning 100% 100LL.

I'm a happy camper again...

But more importantly, my engine is a happy camper again.

:cheerswine:

By the way, the first gallon or so of fuel dispensed at the pump is what's left over from the selection of the person who bought fuel immediately before you. So, if you're getting premium, the first gallon will probably be regular since that's what most people buy.

Today, I put the first gallon in my truck and then started filling the gas cans for the plane. I do the same when buying fuel for my small engines that require premium (lawn mower, etc.).

Last edited:
Re: A reprieve...for now

Today, I put the first gallon in my truck and then started filling the gas cans for the plane. I do the same when buying fuel for my small engines that require premium (lawn mower, etc.).
Here in IL (at least in the Chicagoland area), ALL grades have Ethanol mixed in. But your point about the first gallon being what the previous person used is good. Both my cars call for premium, so they haven't been getting quite what they're supposed to be.:mad:

Re: A reprieve...for now

Here in IL (at least in the Chicagoland area), ALL grades have Ethanol mixed in. But your point about the first gallon being what the previous person used is good. Both my cars call for premium, so they haven't been getting quite what they're supposed to be.:mad:

Or what you've been paying for, either. :no::mad:

Tennessee has mandated Ethanol beginning Jun 1 this year. Fuel suppliers say it will, unfortunately be in all grades. A steady diet of 100LL is hard on engines designed for 80 octane with very low lead.....about 1/4 of that in 100LL. We typically run straight unleaded in the Cub. I had considered an Autogas STC for my Swift, but decided against since the whole ethanol issue has come up........ethanol is in violation of the STC, even if it didn't cause problems with o-rings, gaskets, seals, etc.

Regards,

JimR

A steady diet of 100LL is hard on engines designed for 80 octane with very low lead.....about 1/4 of that in 100LL.
After 1200 trouble-free 100LL hours on my O-300, I'm not entirely convinced of that. But i seem to be the only one who has that kind of luck.

Fly safe!

David

After 1200 trouble-free 100LL hours on my O-300, I'm not entirely convinced of that. But i seem to be the only one who has that kind of luck.

Fly safe!

David

What cylinders do you have on your O-300? I have ECI cyliders on my O-300 in a Swift. They have valve rotators which goes a long way to eliminating stuck valves. The A-65, C-85 and O-200 on our Cubs have had problems with stuck valves fairly routinely as have others around here. Are you running any type of fuel additive such as STP or MMO?

Regards,

JimR

What cylinders do you have on your O-300? I have ECI cyliders on my O-300 in a Swift. They have valve rotators which goes a long way to eliminating stuck valves. The A-65, C-85 and O-200 on our Cubs have had problems with stuck valves fairly routinely as have others around here. Are you running any type of fuel additive such as STP or MMO?

Regards,

JimR

Couldn't find the parts list that's supposed to be in the back of my engine log...have to hunt around some more. I suspect that they're Continental cylinders, though. I bought it from the guy who overhauled it, and don't remember him saying anything special about the cylinders.

No additives, either. Just straight 100LL.

Maybe I just got lucky. Rather be lucky than good, anyway...it's a lot more consistent.:rolleyes:

Fly safe!

David

I had considered an Autogas STC for my Swift

Oooooo, you have a Swift? *droooooooooool*

Can I have a ride? :goofy: I would REALLY like to own a Swift, and I've sat in a couple, but I haven't had a chance to fly in one yet. :(

BTW, welcome to the "blue board!" :yes: I see you're new here, but haven't seen anyone else welcome you to the front porch of the hangar. :)

EDIT: I just had to Google to see if there were pics out there, and sho'nuff... You've got a purdy bird!

Can I have a ride? :goofy: I would REALLY like to own a Swift, and I've sat in a couple, but I haven't had a chance to fly in one yet. :(

BTW, welcome to the "blue board!" :yes: I see you're new here, but haven't seen anyone else welcome you to the front porch of the hangar. :)

EDIT: I just had to Google to see if there were pics out there, and sho'nuff... You've got a purdy bird!
And Jim comes from an aviation family! I note his brother has a Cub!

Welcome aboard, Jim!

And Jim comes from an aviation family! I note his brother has a Cub!

Welcome aboard, Jim!

I do come from an aviation family. Due to mounting pressure from flying friends and message board folks, I recently put together a website to show some of my aviation heritage. I'm no web designer, so it is pretty basic and needs some tweaking, but it gives you the idea I was trying to convey......I LOVE AIRPLANES, especially old airplanes.

http://home.comcast.net/~jimrice85/planepage.htm

Regards,

JimR

Thanks for the welcome. If you get down Memphis way, I'll be happy to give you a ride. Swifts are great airplanes. Mine is no show winner, but it is solid. I have a long association with my Swift dating back to 1987-88 when I had no contact until last December when I bought it....almost 20 years after last flying it.

Regards,

JimR

Back