Mitchells, Superfortresses, Lancers and Stratofortresses, OH MY!

Steve Costello

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SteveCostello
Since I'm still under 5 posts (this might be my fifth?), I can't post the link, but the EAA site posted some news the other day that is pretty exciting. Not only will FIFI be there, but Doc will, as well, making it the first time in several decades that to B-29s have shared the same airspace.

On top of that, it is the 75th anniversary of Doolittle's Raid, so there will be over 12 B-25 Mitchells in attendance, meaning some pretty epic flyovers are bound to happen.

The NEW news is that there will also be a B-52 and a B-1B in attendance, as well! I'm wondering if they intend to have both of those bad boys in Boeing Plaza at the same time or what. It would be AMAZING to see all types in the air at the same time... a formation flight of the B-25s, B-29s, B-52, and B-1. Once in a lifetime event, right there.

True story, I was at the airport looking up some weather information and checking out the flight school where I used to rent from and saw this rather tired looking older fella sitting in the briefing room. No one around and since we have lots of older fella's here in FL I thought he was waiting on someone so I went about my business.

All of sudden all these guys start coming in and talking to him and I'm like...uh...what's happening?

Turns out he was Col. Richard E. Cole. I never got a chance to say "hi" before they scooted him out for photos and interviews. Was pretty interesting though. Now it makes more sense why he was in uniform... :) There was also a B25 on the tarmac which I definitely got pictures of.

Article here:

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/article34806690.html

Man, I would LOVE the sight and sound of 12 B-25s flying by...

Back