Mishap caught on Google Maps

Just make sure to enable satellite view. Here's the germane part (gear up?):
upload_2020-1-7_17-51-31.png
Edit: When I had a software client in Wooster, I used this airport frequently. The good old days.

Talk about bad luck

Looks like a moo knee

Good one @PeterNSteinmetz ! I've goofed around with google satellite view. Around Hawaii, there are several places that you can see whales in the ocean. Around many of the big airports, you can catch airliners on approach/departure that makes them look like they are on a street or in a backyard.

A different kind of mishap: a man was missing for several years. Someone saw something on Google Earth, and alerted authorities. It was the man, in his car, under water. Very near where he lives. So sad.
upload_2020-1-8_8-44-10.png

I know that Mooney. I think I've an inkling of what was going on, and someone's going to have a bad day.

I know that Mooney. I think I've an inkling of what was going on, and someone's going to have a bad day.
You don’t know how google maps works I guess.

Hint: it’s not a live satellite feed.
Given the facts of orbital mechanics that isn't exactly a big surprise. I suppose I should have said "someone likely had a bad day". Sad thing is I suspect that Mooney will be a write-off, and there'll be one less in the fleet.

Note that I don't find anything in the NTSB database on it, but a lot of gear-up landings don't make it there.

Note that I don't find anything in the NTSB database on it, but a lot of gear-up landings don't make it there.
Yeah, the real question is did it gear up from operator error or mechanical mishap. I suspect the former. Then again, for all I know what happened in that photograph is why I saw it in that shop in the first place.

Given the facts of orbital mechanics that isn't exactly a big surprise. I suppose I should have said "someone likely had a bad day". Sad thing is I suspect that Mooney will be a write-off, and there'll be one less in the fleet.
Orbital mechanics isn't the half of it. The images come down and then have to be orthorectified and further messaged into google's database.
Even the guys using these satellites (the same Google uses and some ones that the government keeps to themselves) aren't getting things in "real time" but they are getting them faster than GoogleMaps get them. Spent 21 years writing software to support the intelligence imagery guys.

i thought most or all of those map images weren't satellite data at all, but aerial photo work originally sourced by the local authorities for mapping and planning purposes (city, county, etc..) and then stitched together by google. Maybe the lower resolution rural stuff is orbital(?)

@Salty I think @WeekendWarrior may have meant that you can find images in the photos of where airliners were on approach or departure. I can't actually take credit for finding the one in my original post, it was pointed out on another feed but I thought it was fun.

Here is another one I did find when I first started gliding which shows a Grob on the ground off field near the Estrella sailport E68. Not quite sure how to embed a link to a historical spot in google (any suggestions on how to do that?). Here's the contents of the kml file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:gx="http://www.google.com/kml/ext/2.2" xmlns:kml="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
<Document>
    <name>~GEiHS3OH.kmz</name>
    <Style id="s_ylw-pushpin_hl">
        <IconStyle>
            <scale>1.3</scale>
            <Icon>
                <href>http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/pushpin/ylw-pushpin.png</href>
            </Icon>
            <hotSpot x="20" y="2" xunits="pixels" yunits="pixels"/>
        </IconStyle>
    </Style>
    <Style id="s_ylw-pushpin">
        <IconStyle>
            <scale>1.1</scale>
            <Icon>
                <href>http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/pushpin/ylw-pushpin.png</href>
            </Icon>
            <hotSpot x="20" y="2" xunits="pixels" yunits="pixels"/>
        </IconStyle>
    </Style>
    <StyleMap id="m_ylw-pushpin">
        <Pair>
            <key>normal</key>
            <styleUrl>#s_ylw-pushpin</styleUrl>
        </Pair>
        <Pair>
            <key>highlight</key>
            <styleUrl>#s_ylw-pushpin_hl</styleUrl>
        </Pair>
    </StyleMap>
    <Placemark>
        <name>Grob 103 April 20 2017</name>
        <LookAt>
            <gx:TimeStamp><when>2017-04-21</when>
</gx:TimeStamp>
            <gx:ViewerOptions>
                <gx:option name="historicalimagery"></gx:option>
                <gx:option enabled="0" name="sunlight"></gx:option>
                <gx:option enabled="0" name="streetview"></gx:option>
            </gx:ViewerOptions>
            <longitude>-112.1539694762611</longitude>
            <latitude>33.08852992646245</latitude>
            <altitude>0</altitude>
            <heading>0.3301969078399211</heading>
            <tilt>29.55915199793984</tilt>
            <range>265.6172470863569</range>
            <gx:altitudeMode>relativeToSeaFloor</gx:altitudeMode>
        </LookAt>
        <styleUrl>#m_ylw-pushpin</styleUrl>
        <Point>
            <gx:drawOrder>1</gx:drawOrder>
            <coordinates>-112.153862182327,33.08861766122565,0</coordinates>
        </Point>
    </Placemark>
</Document>
</kml>

i thought most or all of those map images weren't satellite data at all, but aerial photo work originally sourced by the local authorities for mapping and planning purposes (city, county, etc..) and then stitched together by google. Maybe the lower resolution rural stuff is orbital(?)
Depends where you are and when the picture is taken but most of it these days is the old EarthWatch (the company name has changed over the years: DigitalGlobe, Radiant, Maxar), with some backfill from Landsat,.
There's some other stuff inserted in some of the more metro areas. However, looking at the image in question, I'm pretty sure this is one of the EarthWatch birds.

I was there when that happened...it was one of our local denizens (It was Charlie, Steingar). Gear wouldn't come down, perfect landing on the center of the runway. After cleared by the FAA, we all helped jack it up and hauled it away. Don't think it's back in the air yet.

Jim

Oh.....FAA said it was an incident...

Motion artifacts I think.

Actually, I've been told its the result of "stitching" different still photographs together. The photos were shot at different times, then assembled by computer processing software. The resulting image is a "composite" of 2 or more images.

Still, it looks like the 2 aircraft in the lower, right part of the warm up area are impossibly close to each other. A good reason to follow Dr. Tarr's advice and "only believe 1/2 that which you see."

Our airport you can see my buddies plane and my IA’s truck...

This is what I see when I click on the link.

49354847786_82350307d2_z.jpg

Actually, I've been told its the result of "stitching" different still photographs together. The photos were shot at different times, then assembled by computer processing software. The resulting image is a "composite" of 2 or more images.

Still, it looks like the 2 aircraft in the lower, right part of the warm up area are impossibly close to each other. A good reason to follow Dr. Tarr's advice and "only believe 1/2 that which you see."

WHich is one type of motion artifact. The aircraft moved between the two images in the mosaic.

I was there when that happened...it was one of our local denizens (It was Charlie, Steingar). Gear wouldn't come down, perfect landing on the center of the runway. After cleared by the FAA, we all helped jack it up and hauled it away. Don't think it's back in the air yet.

Jim

Oh.....FAA said it was an incident...
So Jim, did this happen before or after my little avionics adventure? i.e. was it sitting in the hangar from the pictured incident, or was this after? I seem to recall something about a gear up. Don't recall if the aircraft had a J-bar or electric gear.

And if you see Doug, you can tell him that all the stuff he put in my aircraft is actually working flawlessly. Took a long solo flight the UP to figure out how to work it all, though.

It was post-your-internment :) Electric gear... Doug is back working out of his truck, but doing work on the airport. I still have the extra KLN94 from the R182, if you want a back-up. Screen's not perfect, but working great when pulled out.

So Jim, did this happen before or after my little avionics adventure? i.e. was it sitting in the hangar from the pictured incident, or was this after? I seem to recall something about a gear up. Don't recall if the aircraft had a J-bar or electric gear.

And if you see Doug, you can tell him that all the stuff he put in my aircraft is actually working flawlessly. Took a long solo flight the UP to figure out how to work it all, though.

It was post-your-internment :) Electric gear... Doug is back working out of his truck, but doing work on the airport. I still have the extra KLN94 from the R182, if you want a back-up. Screen's not perfect, but working great when pulled out.
Doug is working out of his truck!? What happened? Last I saw he was up to antlers in busted airplanes!

That poor Mooney has been in the shop more than out. It was there the whole time my Mooney was, and my Mooney was there for a LONG time. I'd love a backup KLN94, but your's is worth way more money than I'd pay for a backup, sorry. Had some real adventures programming mine, finally got it updated last night.

That's weird, mine looks like this (and I've circled myself, flying VFR, while all those other guys are IFR and are either getting their clearance or waiting for release):

Clipboard02.png

That's weird, mine looks like this (and I've circled myself, flying VFR, while all those other guys are IFR and are either getting their clearance or waiting for release):

View attachment 81746

High wing quintuplets vs low wing quintuplets :D:D:D! Aside from the strange coincidence, it really does look like that sometimes.

Back