Misfueling

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
A webinar offering by FAAST and EAA arrived by email today, and reminded me of something I recently started doing (in addition to 3 other things) when I arrive, and have fuel pumped by a lineperson.

I have found that it is common for the lineperson to take my fuel order and then 10 minutes later they ask me what fuel I want. And, it is not a verification of what I said when I was climbing out - they truly had no clue what I said.
So I now carry a small post-it note pad and nearing destination I jot down my N#, type of fuel, additive, amount for each tank - and hand it to the person greeting me planeside. I'm going to be interested to see if this helps; I have hopes it will. So many situations at work and elsewhere, if someone says something it is forgotten but if there is a written note it changes the game.
I also hope to see the webinar and see what else can be added to our arsenal.

My rule at work, if you do what's written down you can't be wrong. If I don't write it down and it's done differently than I said, it's on me. People misunderstand or just hear what they want and I should know better by now.

I try and be present when they are fueling. So hopefully when I’m post flighting the plane. Otherwise I ask them to fuel it when I get back and preflighting it

Landed in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg last summer. Told the lineman, fill the mains, there's one filler on the right wing, fill slowly (if you just jam the nozzle and open it up full blast, the tank will appear full at 10 gallons short because it hasn't had time to drain over to the other side). Go inside and tell the dispatcher the exact same thing.

Pay for fuel. Go out and start to tax. Note the mains are where they were when we arrived. Where did they put that 35 gallons? Check the tip tanks. Yep, they fueled the tips only. THis is a MAJOR PROBLEM. First you can't use the tips for take off. Further, it's not a good idea to land with fuel in the tips (and we only had about 45 minutes of flying to get home). Grumble. This is why I always fuel myself (or at least stand there and watch the guy). Normally I offer to do it, the rear aux tank takes some skill to realize it is getting full lest you take a 100LL shower when you overfill something with the filler neck at face level.

A webinar offering by FAAST and EAA arrived by email today, and reminded me of something I recently started doing (in addition to 3 other things) when I arrive, and have fuel pumped by a lineperson.

I have found that it is common for the lineperson to take my fuel order and then 10 minutes later they ask me what fuel I want. And, it is not a verification of what I said when I was climbing out - they truly had no clue what I said.
So I now carry a small post-it note pad and nearing destination I jot down my N#, type of fuel, additive, amount for each tank - and hand it to the person greeting me planeside. I'm going to be interested to see if this helps; I have hopes it will. So many situations at work and elsewhere, if someone says something it is forgotten but if there is a written note it changes the game.
I also hope to see the webinar and see what else can be added to our arsenal.
Looks interesting. I had one unbreakable rule about fueling the plane. I did it or was there watching if by truck. No exceptions ever

I saw that email and may watch that webinar too. But reading your comments persuades me to watch the fueling with my own eyes each time.

I check the truck/tank placard, the receipt, and try to actually see the liquid.

Was renting a 172 some years ago, called the FBO and they were going to fuel it and have it waiting for me. Waiting for me w/both fuel caps off....

My plane is quite simple to fuel and I'm always present when it is fueled. I usually ask the attendant to hand me the nozzle to fuel the plane and have never had anyone refuse. I understand that this apporach isn't possible for everyone ...

Last edited:
Can’t remember the last time I was not present and helping/doing the refueling. As all these examples show, why would I not be present. Seen too many mishaps, confusion, jamming the nozzle too far down into the tank, resting the nozzle on the side of the opening while refueling, cleaning window with rings/wristwatch on, fuel caps being forced on.

Landed in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg last summer. Told the lineman, fill the mains, there's one filler on the right wing, fill slowly (if you just jam the nozzle and open it up full blast, the tank will appear full at 10 gallons short because it hasn't had time to drain over to the other side). Go inside and tell the dispatcher the exact same thing.

Pay for fuel. Go out and start to tax. Note the mains are where they were when we arrived. Where did they put that 35 gallons? Check the tip tanks. Yep, they fueled the tips only. THis is a MAJOR PROBLEM. First you can't use the tips for take off. Further, it's not a good idea to land with fuel in the tips (and we only had about 45 minutes of flying to get home). Grumble. This is why I always fuel myself (or at least stand there and watch the guy). Normally I offer to do it, the rear aux tank takes some skill to realize it is getting full lest you take a 100LL shower when you overfill something with the filler neck at face level.
Not an unreasonable error to make, since on many planes (twin Cessnas especially), the tips ARE the mains. Because of this, I try not to say mains/auxes, but rather use onboard/outboard, wings/tips, or other words as appropriate. Or, of course, just be present if possible.

Not an unreasonable error to make, since on many planes (twin Cessnas especially), the tips ARE the mains. Because of this, I try not to say mains/auxes, but rather use onboard/outboard, wings/tips, or other words as appropriate. Or, of course, just be present if possible.
It's unreasonable because I told them where the filler is and that there was ONLY ONE filler. It's not like I said "top off the mains" and left.

ONE thing I learned from flying 60 years, never bending any metal or drawing any blood!!................ALWAYS....ALWAYS.....ALWAYS...be there when being fueled.

Back