MiroCopter

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
I am seriously considering one of these. I plan to go look at one, may take someone with me. I am a helicopter pilot, not a maintenance person though. What should I be looking for in the construction, configuration, etc. that a history of pre-flighting other helicopters (mostly turbine, but some piston) would not provide a clue about?

RotoTrek LLC – Official Reseller of the Mirocopter SCH-2A

All generic helicopter jokes can be considered as previously heard. :p

Don't know anything about them but a friend has the MZ-202 on his plane. It seems to be a good engine but be aware that the ignitions require 12 volt power to them to run. His is an older engine and the newer versions might be different.

Fun looking toy though ...

What should I be looking for in the construction, configuration, etc. that a history of pre-flighting other helicopters (mostly turbine, but some piston) would not provide a clue about?
The coaxial side of the equation. It adds a level of complexity not even addressed on conventional setups. And being an ultralight would compel me to know everything about the flight control and drive mechanisms even before I'd get in it. While it might seem simple from afar there's a lot going on above your head more than what you are used to. Never heard of this model. Have you ever looked at the US based Composite Mosquito series?

Yes, and it is a consideration as well. I have looked at the systems and you pinpoint why I want to look at it in detail. Like the CompositFX helicopters it uses belts and I am wondering if the system is solid enough to keep then in sync, and what happens if that changes a little. They gain a lot by eliminating the tail rotor, but keeping the blades apart as you approach Vne (real, not regulatory for UL) in turbulence is another question.

Thanks for the response.

EDIT: Another question is flight characteristics. The old USAF H-43 encountered control reversal around 90KIAS. Some died as a result before the problem was identified if I recall correctly. Vne for it was around 80 I think.

Last edited:
but keeping the blades apart
Keeping them apart wouldnt be the issue in my mind. Keeping each blade set in phase to each other would be. And with both sets belt driven what is used to maintain that phase position. I can't tell how articulated the blades sets are but for discussion say they're both rigid and should be phased 90 degrees to each other. Imagine if one set moved 30 degrees out of phase. Can you say out of balance?
The old USAF H-43 encountered control reversal around 90KIAS.
No comparison. The Huskie used an intermeshing blade system and servo flaps for flight control. Same as the KMAX. Apples and oranges. I've never worked on a coaxial but did a review of a Kamov Ka-32 in Canada once. A beast. Two swashplates, two everything. A lot going on. I have worked on a KMAX and from a mx point of view would take that over a coaxial any day of the week and Sunday.

If you're considering a Mosquito, I'd start there first then go look at the Micro. But thats just me. I once looked down the path to a turbine Mosquito and felt it was one of the better ones in that class. How many of the Micros are flying? How many have they sold?

MiroCopter was released at AirVenture 2022 so not a lot around yet. The original mosquito was totally open. The newer CompositeFX machines are not. Their current 290 seems like a decent craft. Interestingly, the MiroCopter uses the same engine as the original mosquito and subsequent variations.

When the leading blade is the low one, convergence as speed increases is a possibility and influences Vne.

EDIT: The blades are fully articulated.

Don't know anything about them but a friend has the MZ-202 on his plane. It seems to be a good engine but be aware that the ignitions require 12 volt power to them to run. His is an older engine and the newer versions might be different.

Fun looking toy though ...

Missed this earlier. I don't think that has changed. Big deal really; need redundant batteries, lots of attention to wiring security.

Missed this earlier. I don't think that has changed. Big deal really; need redundant batteries, lots of attention to wiring security.

True. If handled correctly there is little concern. Lots of planes need power to fly for pumps, ignitions, etc.

Sonex builder & pilot, Dave Storey, sold his plane and now has a Mosquito XET Helicopter. A fun video he made of flying it a at Airventure in 2021. I'm not a copter guy but this makes it very intriguing ...

Did someone misspell MicroCopter as MiroCopter and decided to just stick with it?
or maybe Miro means small in Slovenian.

Anyone else notice the empty weight (249 lbs) plus the maximum pilot weight (273 lbs) is 1 pound greater than the maximum takeoff weight (551 lbs)?

I went to look at one, took lots of pictures of the controls, swash plates, etc. Talked to the owner at length. The two rotors are designed to rotate at slightly different speeds to avoid harmonics. Losing a belt on either rotor would require an autorotation. Fortunately, it has a lot of rotor inertia. Lots of thinking and question asking but I decided to do it. Ordered one yesterday, should be here in about four months. Working on a test plan and conversion to EE so I can make some changes that will make it weigh too much for UL.

Strictly a toy, fortunately I live on a farm with a private strip, don't have to go anywhere. Coop delivers no alcohol fuel; hopefully they will deliver a smaller amount of premium than the diesel and regular they deliver now.

Working on a test plan and conversion to EE so I can make some changes that will make it weigh too much for UL.
Good on you.
FYI: Are there any Miros flying EE in the US now? If not, you may want to first find a DAR to discuss your EE plans before you spend a lot of time on the test plan and mods. You might find the coaxial rotor may be an outlier and require a different thought process in converting from ultralight to EE. I only know of one AC that guides the conversion and its dated plus don't know too many DARs with coaxial experience. Still sounds like an interesting project. Good luck.

Actually, got some help from an FAA inspector, including the site to start with. There are no EE versions flying today as far as I know. After I get to know the helicopter, my nutty idea is to put together a small-time exhibition to tell people how wonderful helicopters are. ;)

The fact that it is CR blade machine won't mean much to most people. It will just be another helicopter. It is so slow that it wouldn't take much space to show it off.

Edit: I will plan to use the test plan even if I don't change a thing. Best I can tell, there has been minimal testing done so far. Enough to put together a HV diagram, and some operating numbers, but I wonder about the depth of data behind those.

Do you know if this one was operating Experimental Exhibition or still classed as an Ultralight?

No idea. I found the vid from a link on their website ...

Actually, got some help from an FAA inspector, including the site to start with.
Good. But if EE is still in your sights, you'll need a DAR to make it happen. You'll also need to find an A&P willing to be involved as well. Keep in mind going EE requires obtaining an airworthiness certificate with operating limitations which includes a yearly condition inspection. You'll also need to develop a yearly program letter as well which will be "approved" by your local FSDO. Technically moving from an ultralight to an aircraft is not difficult, obtaining all the required documentation to operate such a unique aircraft can be. Not trying to discourage you, just simply to plan ahead to meet your goals. Perhaps play with it as an ultralight for an extended time and develop a plan to include enlisting those who can make this happen.
my nutty idea is to put together a small-time exhibition to tell people how wonderful helicopters are.
Great, but don't go too overboard on the idea. Definitely push how wonderful helicopters are but always remind folks how dangerous they are and that mostly crazy people operate them. We don't want too many of those plank-wing riff-raff jumping the fence and f'n up our little secret.;)

Working on a test plan and conversion to EE so I can make some changes that will make it weigh too much for UL.
There are a lot of "ultralights" flying around that weigh "too much for UL" and nobody cares. Just sayin'...

There are a lot of "ultralights" flying around that weigh "too much for UL" and nobody cares. Just sayin'...
If I only fly off the farm I could do that. If I went public and did a demonstration, the risk would not be worth it.

Back