Minor loss of power in flight

Alright so... mags were R&R'd for 500 hour inspection. That was a little less than 2 years ago and 110 hours ago. "Repaired, inspected, and tested in accordance with Slick service manual as per 500 hr insp."

Someone else flew my plane yesterday to Santa Barbara and experienced no problems. So who freaking knows. Maybe it was my imagination... 20 times in 20 minutes.
You and I bought similar aircraft at about the same time (I think yours is just a couple years newer than mine). Not rubbing salt in your wounds, but mine has been a gem...so far. I don't expect the repair-free period to last forever though. These old planes will always need fixing: you're just going through it now, while I'll go through it at some point later (and you'll have everything fixed up at that point). I know with past planes I've owned, when I go through a bad streak with repairs, I start imagining problems. Maybe that's all it was.

Last edited:
Alright so... mags were R&R'd for 500 hour inspection. That was a little less than 2 years ago and 110 hours ago. "Repaired, inspected, and tested in accordance with Slick service manual as per 500 hr insp."

Someone else flew my plane yesterday to Santa Barbara and experienced no problems. So who freaking knows. Maybe it was my imagination... 20 times in 20 minutes.

Not your imagination, again, probably carb ice, program your brain, get that carb heat in if it starts stumbling, and leave it in, especially if it starts running worse when you do it.

Why not. That is in the icing range — green zone on the following chart:

4720697_image0048fb0.gif

Did you even try the carb heat?

Can you attach that graph in a way we could copy it, or give a link where we could get it?

Can you attach that graph in a way we could copy it, or give a link where we could get it?

Just Google "carb ice chart."

15/6 isn't a significant icing range for a Lycoming, especially at full throttle. I'd suspect ignition first. Too many folks blame fuel problems, when electrical problems make 90% of the trouble.

Anyone else keep seeing this thread in their feed thinking, "There's no such thing as a *minor* loss of power in flight."? ;)

Back