Minor alteration rules

Was there a specific reason for posting that? Or is it just a big ol' FYI?

I suppose the main purpose of the referenced policy statement is:

"Until recently, the FAA has not differentiated between non-required equipment and the special class of non-required equipment that can enhance safety. To support its mission, the FAA is implementing an approval process to allow installation of NORSEE in the general aviation (GA) and rotorcraft fleets."

Was there a specific reason for posting that? Or is it just a big ol' FYI?
yeah pretty much, there are those who like to know.

want to add an EFIS, now you can with just a log entry.

It's the basis I used to install shoulder harnesses in the Navion. There are no STCs (and they didn't come from the factory).

It's the basis I used to install shoulder harnesses in the Navion. There are no STCs (and they didn't come from the factory).
Has anyone stopped to think how much paper is no longer arriving in the ASI's in basket?

yeah pretty much, there are those who like to know.

want to add an EFIS, now you can with just a log entry.
the problem that comes with that is that most manufactures and the FAA consider the panel structural and cutting that big hole for the EFIS is then a major modification that brings in the need for approved data to get it approved. that is why aspen has an STC for their installations.

bob

the problem that comes with that is that most manufactures and the FAA consider the panel structural and cutting that big hole for the EFIS is then a major modification that brings in the need for approved data to get it approved. that is why aspen has an STC for their installations.

bob
"Structure" is essential equipment, can't be done by this method, but the radio rack is not structure

plus any panel that is mounted on rubber vibration isolation mounts can't be structure.

"Structure" is essential equipment, can't be done by this method, but the radio rack is not structure

plus any panel that is mounted on rubber vibration isolation mounts can't be structure.
I've never heard of structure being referred to as equipment.

Structure - primary / secondary

I believe one advantage of EFIS is an overall weight reduction, so the modification could/should put less stress on the instrument panel.

I think its mostly a negligible difference, by the time all the extra wiring is added. I've got around 40 shielded cables two and three conductor, behind my panel and still don't have an EFIS.

Having worked my way through the approval process for a non-certified doodad lately, I can tell you from experience that NORSEE is a process for manufacturers of widgets. It's not intended to be used by your average bubba to gain approval of cool tech that you want to install. Fast forward to the moral of the story: It looks like I might gain a 337 approval to install a widget that was originally intended for the experimental market. However, it isn't necessarily a swift process... I've spoken to lots of friendly people on the phone though :)

Back