"Minnesota man put a bullet hole in passing plane"

ElPaso Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ElPaso Pilot
chad-lynndell-olson.jpg

Chad Lynndell Olson

an area pilot told a Polk County Sheriff’s deputy that he heard an odd “twang” sound while flying his 1974 Cessna Skywagon the previous day in the area of Minnesota highways 32 and 102 near the Fertile airfield...

...an investigator spoke with a man who said he was at Olson’s property on Oct. 2 when he saw Olson shooting a .30-06 rifle as a plane flew overhead, according to the complaint. The witness later told investigators he had seen Olson shoot at planes on four occasions earlier this year and that Olson had told him about three other times he had shot at airplanes.

Olson said he was using lethal force to defend himself because the airplanes were “engaged in terrorism.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/14/minnesota-man-put-a-bullet-hole-in-passing-plane-charges-say/

And the witness didn't think to talk to anyone about the SEVEN times he either physically witnessed or heard this guy claim to shoot at airplanes "engaged in terrorism" passing overhead???

Oddly enough, it turns our there are at least three ways to reach Climax in under an hour if you start out in Fertile territory...

15cm348.jpg
And that's just one climax. Given more time it is possible to reach several climaxes starting in fertile territory.

Above what altitude are we safe from most civilian rifles? Would 5000AGL do it?

We had a T38 get shot at (hit too I think) on outside downwind during the late 70s at Columbus AFB. Story I heard was a farmer was tired of 38s buzzing his moo cows. He was in a heap of trouble, heard FBI got involved.

Who says you need to be in fertile territory to reach climax? Come on, let's see a show of hands.

Well, I guess if you start with the Flaming - Ball Club route first, you can then head down for a little well deserved Sleepy Eye after Climax. Of course, that one will take more than 9 hours.

Who ever knew the fun one can have in rural Minnesota??

2c0ldz.jpg

Define “safe”

Hatcher reportedly sez a 30-06 will reach 10,000 feet if fired straight up. As always YMWV, objects in the mirror get small quickly when driving a Camaro, do not feed the bears, close the cover before striking.

Well, I guess if you start with the Flaming - Ball Club route first, you can then head down for a little well deserved Sleepy Eye after Climax. Of course, that one will take more than 9 hours.

Who ever knew the fun one can have in rural Minnesota??

2c0ldz.jpg
From Nirvana, it takes only 2 1/4 hours to reach Climax.

Edit: So, a Fertile man could find Nirvana in 2 hours and then reach Climax after 4 1/4 hours.

Nirvana.JPG

Define “safe”

Hatcher reportedly sez a 30-06 will reach 10,000 feet if fired straight up. As always YMWV, objects in the mirror get small quickly when driving a Camaro, do not feed the bears, close the cover before striking.

10k feet sounds like the "dead stop, start falling altitude". I'm curious at what point it loses enough energy to not go through my airplane. Or me.

That's interesting though. It might be that it goes somewhat less fired more horizontally. straight up takes it into thinner air as fast (heh) as possible. Wonder how much of a difference that makes.

We had a T38 get shot at (hit too I think) on outside downwind during the late 70s at Columbus AFB. Story I heard was a farmer was tired of 38s buzzing his moo cows. He was in a heap of trouble, heard FBI got involved.
That area has no shortage of rednecks

Just the good o'le boys.
Never meaning no harm.
Beats all you ever saw,
been in trouble with the law,
since the day they were born.

I don't think it was them Duke boys this time, sheriff. It was a rifle and you know since they was on parole they've been usin' dyn-o-mite duct taped to arrows...

They don't a "Welcome to Climax" sign anymore since college kids kept stealing it. Climax is like 30min from UND.

Fired horizontally it’s not going to go far comparatively speaking. How long does it take for a bullet to fall 5 feet? Using round ballpark numbers 3,000 FPS and 0.33 seconds the bullet travels 1,000 feet (ignoring the Hungarian or Chech or whatever he was).

Apparently the high school mascot is Bearcat.

// got nothin'

Fired horizontally it’s not going to go far comparatively speaking. How long does it take for a bullet to fall 5 feet? Using round ballpark numbers 3,000 FPS and 0.33 seconds the bullet travels 1,000 feet (ignoring the Hungarian or Chech or whatever he was).

Not sayin' your calculations are, but you can decompose the path of the bullet into horizontal and vertical components. Ignoring any lifting effects or air resistance and treating it like it was in a vacuum, it can only go sideways until it falls to the ground.

I mean, The air is thicker down here, and the density falls off with altitude. I'm wondering what the envelope of the possible bullet trajectories looks like. Lower might be less than you'd think because more time is spent in denser air with (I'm assuming) higher drag.

About 10k feet AGL is the max height for a bullet from the .30-06 rifle shot straight up.

That’s from a calculation I found at wired.com, which used a good model but may or may not be error-free.

I’d guess that a bigger limitation is the ability to aim well enough to hit a distant moving target.

chad-lynndell-olson.jpg

Chad Lynndell Olson

an area pilot told a Polk County Sheriff’s deputy that he heard an odd “twang” sound while flying his 1974 Cessna Skywagon the previous day in the area of Minnesota highways 32 and 102 near the Fertile airfield...

...an investigator spoke with a man who said he was at Olson’s property on Oct. 2 when he saw Olson shooting a .30-06 rifle as a plane flew overhead, according to the complaint. The witness later told investigators he had seen Olson shoot at planes on four occasions earlier this year and that Olson had told him about three other times he had shot at airplanes.

Olson said he was using lethal force to defend himself because the airplanes were “engaged in terrorism.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/14/minnesota-man-put-a-bullet-hole-in-passing-plane-charges-say/

And the witness didn't think to talk to anyone about the SEVEN times he either physically witnessed or heard this guy claim to shoot at airplanes "engaged in terrorism" passing overhead???

He looks exactly like I thought he would.

Probably was in the middle of yelling at a cloud when the airplane passed over.

Overdrive! You bad boy. Where's Divorce though?

Back