[Mini-RANT]NVME SSD screws[Mini-Rant]

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I bought a new Samsung NVME M.2 SSD yesterday, They can't be bothered to put one little screw in the box for your motherboard in case you don't have one already. This PC is refurbished and it doesn't' have one!!

Any one know how to get one without it costing an arm and a leg?

Doesn't the M.2 screw have an m2 thread?

I was expecting to have to go to a hardware store. I just feel like the manufacturers could include a tiny little screw.

Or the M2 connector makers could just design a latch that holds them in without need for a stupid screw — like most every other mass storage device in commercial PCs for two decades now. Click.

But most of the time we see the screw provided by the motherboard maker, never the drive maker.

In laptops if nothing was installed in the slot it is about 50/50 whether the laptop maker would stick the needed spare in there.

We’re a couple years past the conversion process now and everything comes with them installed so it’s become a non-issue in the business PC world. And of course there’s the annoying designs where they’re simply soldered on too, like Apple, which we do our best to completely avoid. We hate anti-repair anti-upgrade tactics.

I’ll take the screw headache over that. A piece of foam double sided sticky tape strategically located will work in a pinch.

I'd bet that someplace like Microcenter (if there's one near you) would be able to come up with one. Heck, Geek Squad folks might just give you one gratis (same way a car dealer used to just give me oil plug crush washers because it was too much of a pain to ring it up.

The mainboard or system should have them already installed or provided, no? I'm grateful to not add to my tech junk drawer every time I buy a new doodad.

Gives you an excuse to order from McMaster Carr and stock up! But yes, annoying that you don't get extra screws when buying NVME SSD, but like other bare drives, they don't come with hardware either.

The mainboard or system should have them already installed or provided, no? I'm grateful to not add to my tech junk drawer every time I buy a new doodad.
Presumably the person who had it before it became refurbished has said screw in their coffee can of misc screws and was wondering what that tiny screw was for.

Back