Millennium vs. Lycoming Cylinders

Skymac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
Looking for opinions.

Which cylinders do you prefer and why? I currently have a factory Lycoming engine that’s well beyond TBO on original cylinders and still running well, but I’m about to pull the trigger on a overhauled or reman engine to refresh it with. I have Millennium cylinders on another fleet airplane with close to 600 hours on it and they seem to be performing well, wish the oil burn was slightly better, around 1qt every 8 hours. My factory Lycoming has 4200 hours on it and is using a quart about every 12 hours.

Lycoming is 18 weeks out right now and they are 27,000 for a O-360 overhauled or around 32,000 for a reman.

My other option is about 22,500 for a O360 with the Millenniums or an extra $2000 for Lycoming cylinders, but they say they prefer Millenniums, and see the same life out of them. They also claim Lycoming is struggling in the quality and production aspect, and I haven’t heard that anywhere else.

Back when I investigated, word on the street was that factory cylinders are the best for a Lycoming.

The engine shop that overhauled all of the engines at the flight school, put Millennium cylinders on and there were never any noteworthy issues with them, but they were also flown regularly and rarely had much down time.

I do think cylinders are really a crap shoot, since all of the manufacturers have had problems and it always cycles between each of them, but if it was my airplane, I’d probably go with factory Lycoming, since nothing in my eyes beats OEM.

That said, I’ve flown behind both of them and I wouldn't bet a dime on which would need to be re-done first or receive a new AD.

I prefer Lycoming cylinders over Millennium ones. The fit and finish of the OE Lycomings have been better from what I’ve seen.

In the current market however, I would take whatever you can get. Lycoming has a habit of telling you a timeframe on parts and not delivering, then stringing you along until they decide to make the parts. Depending on what it is that could take months or years.

Lycoming seems to have a better track record for delivery of complete engines, but with the shortages seen lately all bets are off.

I’d lean toward Millenniums. I’m a big fan of SAP and their business ethics. I have Millenniums on my Cessna and my original Cub motor was an IO-400 by Superior. Have you checked on a Superior approved replacement engine? They make 360 clones that are fully approved for certificated airplanes.

Last edited:
I like both a lot, but put me down for Lycoming if I had to choose. When I was a shop mechanic we always had good luck with them. Continental, on the other hand, kept us a little busy.
So, I went with new lycoming kits on my 172. No issues. The Aztec that I fly also has lycoming, no issues. My A36 has continentals. It’s had to have a top at half life and one cylinder since that.
I’m told that Continental has made improvements but wouldn’t want to bet on it.
If it’s a lycoming, I’m going with new lycoming kits. If it’s a Continental, I’m going with new Millennium.

Have any of you bought Lycoming cylinders lately? My motor took a year to get because they couldn’t build cylinders. That was a year ago. No idea how they’re doing now.

You cant go wrong with OEM. Ive always had good luck with the lycomings

The Lycoming cylinders in my first O-320-D3G went 2925 hours with no cylinder issues.

Back