Military plane down off NC coast

I've never heard them use the term "mishap". Does that mean that it wasn't an accident but more self-inflicted?

If so, that's a costly mishap, about $120 million worth for 2 F-18's.

Think "Rhino Driver" is the only one on POA flying them.

So the Coast Guard took them to the Coast Guard base instead of the Naval base. That's a long drive for anyone that wants to visit them in the hospital.

I'm spending a week in Virginia Beach next month with my Marine son and his family. My wife always gets a kick out of watching us when a plane flies over. We just continue to talk while our heads tilt back to see the planes go over.

So the Coast Guard took them to the Coast Guard base instead of the Naval base. That's a long drive for anyone that wants to visit them in the hospital.

I'm spending a week in Virginia Beach next month with my Marine son and his family. My wife always gets a kick out of watching us when a plane flies over. We just continue to talk while our heads tilt back to see the planes go over.
They took all 4 to Norfolk Sentera Hospital. About 30min from Oceana where they are based, about 10min for NOB.

Thanks for the correction, I saw the byline as being Oregon Inlet where the CG is and thought that's where they took them.

I've never heard them use the term "mishap". Does that mean that it wasn't an accident but more self-inflicted?
In terms of Naval aviation it means is was an unintended event resulting in damage to a Navy airplane. Been that way for years. There are different classes of mishaps based on cost of damage and extent of injuries. This one is a class A mishap, since it was a total loss of one or more airplanes. The final report is an MIR, or mishap incident report.

Nauga,
a contributor

Glad the pilots are going to be OK. Overnighted at air station Elizabeth city,plenty of resources available.another good job by the coast guard.

Mishap is just standard Navy terminology for an accident. There are different classes of mishap depending on monetary amount of damage and or injury/loss of life.

In terms of Naval aviation it means is was an unintended event resulting in damage to a Navy airplane. Been that way for years. There are different classes of mishaps based on cost of damage and extent of injuries. This one is a class A mishap, since it was a total loss of one or more airplanes. The final report is an MIR, or mishap incident report.
Not just limited to airplanes. The term is universal throughout the Navy.

Forensic engineering and SME on several, and the main reason I so vehemently oppose speculation in ignorance. Some of both the best and worst times of my career. At the same time.

Nauga,
And some recreationism

If you are referring to this particular mishap, I'd imagine it will be several months before the findings in the form of the SIR (terminology has changed since Nauga's time) are released. Those findings and the report are released only to the Navy safety center and the Naval Aviation community, and are not releasable to the public via any means, to include FOIA. What can be released is the JAG report (the legal investigation), though that happens normally only for events where there is a particular public interest involved, i.e. a jet crashes into a house in San Diego as an example. Normal FOIA request, often from the media in that case. For the most part, both reports are pretty similar, and the important findings are typically in both.

If you are referring to this particular mishap, I'd imagine it will be several months before the findings in the form of the SIR (terminology has changed since Nauga's time) are released. Those findings and the report are released only to the Navy safety center and the Naval Aviation community, and are not releasable to the public via any means, to include FOIA. What can be released is the JAG report (the legal investigation), though that happens normally only for events where there is a particular public interest involved, i.e. a jet crashes into a house in San Diego as an example. Normal FOIA request, often from the media in that case. For the most part, both reports are pretty similar, and the important findings are typically in both.

Actually, Nauga's "contributor" trailer made me wonder if he'd been in the backseat when some paint was traded (or similar), making him a "contributor"...

Actually, Nauga's "contributor" trailer made me wonder if he'd been in the backseat when some paint was traded (or similar), making him a "contributor"...

Something to do with T-45s I believe. Still waiting to hear that story. Of course like 35 said, unless the safety center releases the results publicly, it might not be something he's even allowed to talk about.

Velocity,
also a contributer :(

Something to do with T-45s I believe.
All of my mishap work was on A-6's and F/A-18A-D's. I was off the T-45 before the first Class A at EDW. Funny, I don't feel old, but the T-45 program sure aged me hard.

Still waiting to hear that story.
Might as well take a seat, it's probably gonna be a while.

Nauga,
from where it is

Last edited:
Funny, I don't feel old, but the T-45 program sure aged me hard.

Would be interested to hear this story as well…….I know there were some problems with the program, but I don't know much more than that, and it was a generally solid jet when I flew it (much later)…..at least aside from the low pressure turbine occasionally shedding from the aircraft, which Rolls assured us would not cause loss of aircraft :)

Back