Military limiting F22 flights

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
F22 Raptors have reported problems with life support in which pilots become hypoxic in flight. Now some mechanics had enjoined in. The Air Force has cleared them to fly, but only under fairly limited conditions. Story on CNN.

How many F-15 can you buy for the price of a single F-22 ?

What a waste of money....

How many F-15 can you buy for the price of a single F-22 ?

What a waste of money....

As good as the F-15 is, in the hands of a good pilot the F-22 will beat the F-15.

Sometimes we pay the monetary price so we can protect the people who go into harms way.

Part of the mystery. I suspect something in the airframe has created a volatile compound that binds to hemoglobin, much like carbon monoxide.

I'm certainly no expert, but given that the F-22 is the only aircraft using that engine, I'd bet there is something unique happening in the engine. Maybe they are getting backflow from the combustion process or there is a "new, improved" coating or metalurgical treatment that is off-gassing somehow and the oxygen concentrator doesn't remove it from the breathing air.

The mechanics? No idea unless they are breathing "ship" air...

Last I heard in mock combat the F22 was (large number)-0-0 agains all opponents including Eagles.

Incorrect. Nothing is unbeatable. I've killed plenty of 22's. But they are the best thing going when their systems are working.

Incorrect. Nothing is unbeatable. I've killed plenty of 22's. But they are the best thing going when their systems are working.

So far the F-15 has a pretty good record in actual combat.

What do you fly?

I've talked to a couple viper pilots that said the F-22 was waxing them pretty bad..

Bear in mind that it isn't just the ability to dog fight, it's the whole system, from stealth to avionics, to high mach speeds with no after burners, that makes it tough. It's obviously quite capable from a tactics/dog fighting standpoint. But the logistics side is what makes it so impressive.

What were the rules? The 22 should be able to F-pole just about anyone shouldn't it?

It would be interesting to know what the ROE's and setups were on EvilEagle's successful sorties. If the cards weren't stacked, achieving multiple F-22 kills in a -15 is pretty impressive.

It would be interesting to know what the ROE's and setups were on EvilEagle's successful sorties. If the cards weren't stacked, achieving multiple F-22 kills in a -15 is pretty impressive.

Maybe the hint is the "But they are the best thing going when their systems are working" part of his post

Maybe the hint is the "But they are the best thing going when their systems are working" part of his post

I suspect you're right.

My guess is that the F-22's sweet spot is to use its stealth and frequency agile radar to plink opponents before they are aware the F-22 has engaged them. With the -22's supercruise and high operating altitude, I suspect it can loft an AMRAAM or AIM-9 a bit farther than other platforms.

Sorry, I'm not fluent in all jargon... ;-)

Neither am I but as I understand it that F-pole is a measure of how far out a missile shot can be taken.

Neither am I but as I understand it that F-pole is a measure of how far out a missile shot can be taken.

I've seen the term a bunch of times, but never took the time to find out what it meant. Thanks...

F-Pole is the range between the shooter and target when the missile hits the target.
A-Pole is the range from shooter to target when the missile's radar goes active.

I suspect you're right.

My guess is that the F-22's sweet spot is to use its stealth and frequency agile radar to plink opponents before they are aware the F-22 has engaged them. With the -22's supercruise and high operating altitude, I suspect it can loft an AMRAAM or AIM-9 a bit farther than other platforms.

Just like Eagles, Raptors train to outnumbered scenarios. When you run out of 120's because you've already shot them all you have to get closer. That is when things get tricky and people start to get rolled up.

We never train F15 vs F16, or F16 vs F22, everyday someone is the "blue air" and someone is "red air". Red fighters simulate a threat fighter like Su30mki or MiG29 or F14 (Iran), etc. So everyday is different. Specifics about anything with the 22 are classified. So back to my original post, it's an awesome airplane but nothing is unbeatable. However when the Raptor is working right, it's pretty darn close.

We never train F15 vs F16, or F16 vs F22, everyday someone is the "blue air" and someone is "red air". Red fighters simulate a threat fighter like Su30mki or MiG29 or F14 (Iran), etc. So everyday is different. Specifics about anything with the 22 are classified. So back to my original post, it's an awesome airplane but nothing is unbeatable. However when the Raptor is working right, it's pretty darn close.

This is probably an unfair question, but, assuming fully functional aircraft, which would you rather be flying in actual air-to-air combat, the F-15 or the F-22?

F-Pole is the range between the shooter and target when the missile hits the target.
A-Pole is the range from shooter to target when the missile's radar goes active.

Thanks!

This is probably an unfair question, but, assuming fully functional aircraft, which would you rather be flying in actual air-to-air combat, the F-15 or the F-22?

I'll always love the Eagle and I know our tactics work. I'd stick where I am.

Are any of their -As still operational?

And how many of those still fly the second time? <evil grin>

Yeah, I remember in the 90s when we had that little spat over the oil platforms in the gulf a Navy pilot was being interviewed and was asked about the Iranian F-14s, he said: "Well we taught them everything they know, but we didn't teach them everything we know."

And how many of those still fly the second time? <evil grin>

Good question. If those things are anything like most US built fighters, they are a breeze to land. I hope they have a few flying; we need the target practice!

How can the Iranian F-14's be still flying if we don't sell them parts? They are pretty old.

Back