Military discharge for bipolar d/o 20 years ago - any chance of ever getting a PPL?

• Thread starter Anonymous Engineer
  • Start date
A

Anonymous Engineer

I had a difficult period of mental health in my teenage years. I survived family poverty and childhood hunger. My father (who was emotionally and verbally abusive) forced me into joining the military at 17. I was not well-suited, but unlike other branches the Marine Corps does not discharge for failure to adapt. Things deteriorated and I ended up in the military mental health treatment "pipeline." Long story short I came out the other side with an honorable discharge for bipolar disorder and a 0% disability rating.

Now here's the thing: once I got away from both those life situations - a home life of deprivation and abuse, and military service I chose only because I felt I had no choice - once I gained control of my own life - everything changed. I was no longer depressed. I neither needed nor took any medication. I put myself through college (4 years, plus some grad school), got accepted into programs, wrote code for NASA as an intern, became an engineer (as a contractor for, ironically, the FAA). & etc.

My point is, in my opinion all of that... crap... for lack of a better word that is in my military medical record is not something inherent in myself but rather a sane person's reaction to a confluence of bad experiences and lack of agency. But - there is a lot of crap in that record. It's a book. Some of it's true; some is inaccurate. Reports of a suicide attempt are (to quote Mark Twain), "greatly exaggerated."

When you're in the military's mental health discharge pipeline you are (or were back in 2002) subject to a rotating carousel of psychiatrists who have their pet theories and every week start you on a new, different drug. Later incidents and diagnoses (all conflicting) could be blamed on a bad reaction to the previous doctor's overzealous pharmacology! (Lest you think I'm exaggerating, the doctor's diagnosis for the very thing I was discharged for notes it was brought on by an SSRI.)

To me this is all ancient history - painful history, but no bearing on my life today. Except recently I started thinking, gosh I'd really love to build an airplane in the Experimental category and go fly it, participate in my local EAA chapter, all that. My life mentor who is also a pilot, encouraged me don't just go LSA, go ahead and do flight school and become a "real" pilot and get my PPL. I had everything planned out down to calculating how much $ I'll need to save every week to pay for flight school outright in 2 years. But then I re-read the list of medical disqualifications and started reading forums like this one...

(I have also for a short time been on ADHD medication but likewise discovered I didn't really "need" it. I know that could also be a sticking point, but I anticipate the military medical record is the bigger problem. If anything I think my "issue" is Asperger's, but as an adult I can't get a diagnosis of that if I tried, so... don't ask / don't tell, right?)

I don't know whether to give up on the idea of flying, or try to fight this. I like how someone else put it in their forum post about an OCD diagnosis: how do you, "unring this bell"? And then as I understand it there's a risk/reward trade-off because if I do nothing I could build and fly a Light Sport aircraft and no one'd be the wiser, but if I try and fail to get my PPL I might also lock myself out of LSA.

The thing is I really want to build a two-seater and do the $100 hamburger thing. My dear wife (who'd never in the past expressed an interest in aviation) told me if I can't get my PPL but still build an airplane, she'll get her PPL so we can fly together. I'm touched but also fighting back tears. Building plane(s) I can't fly'd be like Red Skull in Infinity War: "I guide others to a treasure I cannot possess."

You are at huge risk of denial - near 100% certainty - if you apply for the medical, and then Sport Pilot would be out. Thank God you came here first. You have it from Dr. Chien himself in post #2. Go for Light Sport and don’t look back.

My mistake, I didn't mean to imply that my mentor had implied an LSA pilot isn't a "real", rather he was advising me to learn all of the things in PPL flight school (weather, navigation, talking to ATC, decision making) beyond just controling the aircraft. He himself apparently found many ways to fly for actually years before getting his PPL (he said he had more fun before he had a license he could worry about losing!) so it was very much advice from a "do as I say, not as I did" hindsight. But when he got his PPL the FAA medical was easier to qualify.

Like 10% (no joke, it's a real statistic) of the residents of our state, my wife holds a medical marijuana card. So it's looking like LSA for both of us might be the easier option anyway.

There are many light sport designs that are sexier than the boring certified aircraft.

There are many light sport designs that are sexier than the boring certified aircraft.

Indeed. I'd somehow got the categories mixed up in my mind and went into this posting thinking LSA would limit me to Ultralights and powered hang gliders. Now that I understand ultralight and LSA are two different categories I'm realizing LSA is close to what I want to build and to fly anyway.

...learn all of the things in PPL flight school (weather, navigation, talking to ATC, decision making)...

You have to learn all those things to become a Sport Pilot. About the only thing you don't have to learn is night flying. Your advisor is too ignorant to be giving out advice. Ignore him.

Thoughts:
-Go Light Sport, keep and follow your dreams.
-Wife can still get PPL
-Build or buy Light Sport or bigger, or both, and fly together anytime anywhere.
-Nothing says you can’t train to higher levels, you just can’t get certificated (I believe this is still true, may have changed though).

Sorry to hear about the distant past, but happy to hear about your successes. May they continue.

Thoughts:
-Go Light Sport, keep and follow your dreams.
-Wife can still get PPL
-Build or buy Light Sport or bigger, or both, and fly together anytime anywhere.
-Nothing says you can’t train to higher levels, you just can’t get certificated (I believe this is still true, may have changed though).

Sorry to hear about the distant past, but happy to hear about your successes. May they continue.

Wife is on medical marijuana, but otherwise agree! Especially about wishing continued success and happiness.

My mistake, I didn't mean to imply that my mentor had implied an LSA pilot isn't a "real", rather he was advising me to learn all of the things in PPL flight school (weather, navigation, talking to ATC, decision making) beyond just controling the aircraft. He himself apparently found many ways to fly for actually years before getting his PPL (he said he had more fun before he had a license he could worry about losing!) so it was very much advice from a "do as I say, not as I did" hindsight. But when he got his PPL the FAA medical was easier to qualify.

Like 10% (no joke, it's a real statistic) of the residents of our state, my wife holds a medical marijuana card. So it's looking like LSA for both of us might be the easier option anyway.

Light sport and I agree you should go ahead and learn the private curriculum.

As others have said, SPL definitely sounds like the right thing to do, although you may find it harder to find LSAs to train with near you.

There is Sport Pilot and there is Light Sport Aircraft. There is no Light Sport Pilot. It is a distinction worth noting.

That pedantic misssive aside, I agree with those recommending that route. If you start, you most likely can get the sport pilot certificate and maybe even build a plane before getting through the hassles to get a medical.

Once you’ve flown for awhile, if you think that you want to fly other aircraft besides LSA, then you can find an AME who knows the ropes and get a consultation. But for now, get flying.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back