Military Blimp Breaks Mooring in Maryland

How does that happen,it's taking out power as it goes. Can't wait till the f16 s shoot it down.

What is more entertaining. This, or the people that strap balloons to lawn chairs and use BB guns for altitude control? I'm thinking this is in the lead.

"The blimp was spotted over Bloomsburg, Pa. dragging its 6,700-foot cable. The cable reportedly damaged area infrastructure and caused sporadic power outages."

and here I am worrying about flying animals in a plane:rofl:

Ours (the one near me) has gone on a fly-about a few times since I've lived here, (or, self-destructed in situ).
They have an explosive charge on the envelope so they can bring it down remotely at will - maybe they will wait til it's over a farm or forest to do that.

I was envisioning hollywood style, ridiculous plans to bring it down, like dropping MacGyver on top of it or something. I ruled out the F-16's shooting it down when I saw the $160 million price tag.

Why the hell are we spending millions on blimps!

How does that happen,it's taking out power as it goes. Can't wait till the f16 s shoot it down.

You can't shoot down a compartmentalized blimp. At least not without a LOT of hits.

The Army is interested in these precisely because they are so robust to fire.

So... I guess running after the tether and grabbing it was out of the question?

Somewhat better article and pictures here:

http://www.timesunion.com/news/poli...rack-military-blimp-drifting-over-6596053.php

Rich

About 27,000 customers in two counties were left without power, according to electric utility PPL, and Bloomsburg University canceled classes because of the outage. Electricity was restored to most people within a few hours.
The craft even knocked out power to the State Police barracks at Bloomsburg barracks before settling among the trees, where it was swiftly cordoned off while military personnel began arriving to retrieve it, State Police Capt. David Young said. He said trees will probably have to be cut down to get it out.

I guess we should get used to this sort of thing:

"My understanding is, from having seen these break loose in Afghanistan on a number of occasions, we could get it to descend and then we'll recover it and put it back up," Defense Secretary Ash Carter said at the Pentagon as the journey unfolded. "This happens in bad weather."

I imagine that would be a site to see on the morning commute. :)

Anyone else get annoyed with the overly sensational way the news is presented today? While I realize the tether cable can cause problems including damage to property and injury. How about something useful...something along the lines of don't try to stop it or grab the tether. Report it's location to your local authorities.

Did this report really need the "Chicken Little" approach? Listening to those two the blimp was a self-aware man-killer rampaging through Wilkes-Barre like Godzilla! :yikes:

Last edited:
The DHS manages to disrupt the airspace and the power grid around DC, two of the high value targets they are tasked with protecting.

Ironic...

The DHS manages to disrupt the airspace and the power grid around DC, two of the high value targets they are tasked with protecting.

Ironic...

Our society has no sampling shortage of irony.

I remember we lost several of these over Baghdad years ago. Apache pilots would sometimes fly through and cut the cable at night. On a side note, the company I work for makes one of the materials that goes into the fiber optic cable. Maybe we can expect an order some time soon!

Why the hell are we spending millions on blimps!

WASHINGTON, Oct 28 (Reuters) - A high-tech U.S. military blimp designed to detect a missile attack came loose on Wednesday and wreaked havoc as it floated from Maryland into Pennsylvania, dragging its 10,000-foot-long cable behind it and knocking out power to thousands.

Now if anyone seriously believes that.... :rolleyes2:

It's not a blimp, its an aerostat. A blimp is a powered, manned aircraft. An aerostat is a tethered, unmanned balloon.

Made the new organizations feel good today, some excitement in their newsrooms

Ironic...

now that's funny. OMG where is chicken little?

It's not a blimp, its an aerostat. A blimp is a powered, manned aircraft. An aerostat is a tethered, unmanned balloon.

Aerostat includes any lighter than air craft including tethered and free balloons and dirigible airships.

It definitely isn't a blimp however. Blimps are dirigible and this one (even after breaking free) is not.

I wonder how many bullet holes it has in it right now. I know that if it had broke loose in my area right now it would become one giant skeet shooting target. Big game opened up last weekend so there would be no shortage of large caliber rifle rounds heading its way.

I wonder how many bullet holes it has in it right now. I know that if it had broke loose in my area right now it would become one giant skeet shooting target. Big game opened up last weekend so there would be no shortage of large caliber rifle rounds heading its way.

You couldn't do enough damage to bring it down right away.

Interesting.

Do you use center fire rifles for "skeet" there?

Which "large caliber" round will make it to 2000' AGL or higher, and what velocity will it arrive at the target at, when fired straight up?

And is this round commonly used for "big game" hunting?

Personally I prefer a shotgun with bird shot for skeet, and I doubt even a .454 Casul fired nearly straight up against gravity or close to it is going to do much to a balloon of this size and construction, unless it got lucky and hit something vital.

And most folks don't shoot stuff that large for typical North American "big game".

So are you just making this stuff up or what?

Interesting.

Which "large caliber" round will make it to 2000' AGL or higher, and what velocity will it arrive at the target at, when fired straight up?

I'd think almost any centerfire rifle round would go that high, with plenty of velocity to penetrate a gasbag.

Interesting.

And is this round commonly used for "big game" hunting?

Personally I prefer a shotgun with bird shot for skeet, and I doubt even a .454 Casul fired nearly straight up against gravity or close to it is going to do much to a balloon of this size and construction, unless it got lucky and hit something vital.

And most folks don't shoot stuff that large for typical North American "big game".

So are you just making this stuff up or what?

I guess the police agree with you that shotguns are the way to go.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/29/official-could-take-days-or-weeks-to-remove-wayward-blimp/

Pennsylvania State Police deflated the wayward surveillance blimp on Thursday with roughly 100 shotgun blasts, according to a military official at the scene.
U.S. Army Capt. Matthew Villa said it could take days, maybe weeks, to remove the blimp, which broke loose in Maryland before coming down into trees in the Pennsylvania countryside Wednesday.
The Army is sending a two-person accident-investigation team to Pennsylvania to look into why the blimp floated away. Michael Negard, spokesman for the Army Combat Readiness Center, says the investigators are from Fort Rucker, Alabama.
He says the investigation is considered "Class A," a label applied to an event that might have caused at least $2 million in property damage; involved a destroyed, missing or abandoned Army aircraft or missile; or caused injury.
The blimp is in two "mostly intact" pieces, according to Villa. The main body and the tail section are a few hundred meters apart in trees along a ravine in a hard-to-access area. He said the "hows and whys" of what happened are under investigation.
The blimp, fitted with sensitive defense technology, escaped from Aberdeen Proving Ground. Its dangling tether caused power outages in Pennsylvania before it hit the ground. Nobody was hurt.

I'm sorry...A $200 MILLION blimp????????????

Guess we now know how one makes money in aviation!...Government contracts!

Let's steal a $200,000,000 government aero stat. Hold it for ransom , for........

one hundred, gazillion ,billion dollars.

.......but Dr. Evil it's only worth $200,000,000

It's the US government , they will pay.

Attachments

• Evil.jpg
    Evil.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 9
I'd think almost any centerfire rifle round would go that high, with plenty of velocity to penetrate a gasbag.

Depends on what the gas bag is made out of. When you say "that high", how high are you claiming?

What altitude did it wander over these fictional hunters who would be stupid enough to shoot at it?

Wonder if they loaded up slugs? Not exactly a far away target stuck in the ravine. Slugs would make nice big holes. Rifle rounds would make small holes and maybe pass out the other side, making a problem for them of "what's down range?"

Plus probably more a "what do we have on hand" than any sort of brainy analysis of what would deflate it best. Certainly a minigun and a humvee full of belts for it would have made quick work of it. Haha.

Back