Mileage Tax to Replace Gas Tax ?

For those of us that live out in the boondocks, a mileage tax is reason to go to war. It's 7 miles to the nearest store, 45 miles to the doctor's office, 29 miles to the dentist. We're already being taxed to pay for the New York City transit system. I think big cities should be taxed to subsidize my life style.

Hahaha! I love this. Some people have never so much as looked down at rural living as they were flying over, let alone acknowledge it. This is yet another example why I think the pro-tax argument here lacks much thought.

For those of us that live out in the boondocks, a mileage tax is reason to go to war. It's 7 miles to the nearest store, 45 miles to the doctor's office, 29 miles to the dentist. We're already being taxed to pay for the New York City transit system. I think big cities should be taxed to subsidize my life style.

"They" don't want people to live in the boondocks, they want everyone to live in an urban, high density environment. Rural people are too independent and self reliant. Scares those in government.

"They" don't want people to live in the boondocks, they want everyone to live in an urban, high density environment. Rural people are too independent and self reliant. Scares those in government.

latest

I don't think they're scared. I think demographics have shifted and they don't care what we think anymore. Plus they're trying to make everything more 'efficient' for the urban centers everyone lives in now.

I mean.... it's not without some logic but if an urban lifestyle is your idea of misery then it's all kind of horrifying to think about.

As the owner of an electric car, I vote no. And you aren't changing my mind with reason

Big trucks are all ready taxed beyond belief. I pay more in road tax in a quarter than you will in several years. All USDOT registered have to pay IFTA tax (http://www.iftach.org/taxmatrix3/choose_tableq2.php)
I have to keep track of every mile I drive In every state, and if the amount of fuel I buy In that state doesn't cover the per mile charge for that state I have to pay the difference at the end of the quarter. Just as an example of how much it is, it costs about $80 in tax to drive through new mexico on I25. I drive 35-40 thousand miles a quarter. So it adds up. Also I have to pay the heavy use tax (https://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-2290) and my yearly registration is $2400. So I think we pay more than our "fair share"

Raise the tax on gasoline. Its the most painless and equitable way. Oil lobby blocks it. Maybe there is a way.

are taxes intended to generate revenue?

or are taxes intended to pay for services provided?

or are taxes intended to discourage an activity?
In my observation, all of the above.

I don't think they're scared. I think demographics have shifted and they don't care what we think anymore. Plus they're trying to make everything more 'efficient' for the urban centers everyone lives in now.

I mean.... it's not without some logic but if an urban lifestyle is your idea of misery then it's all kind of horrifying to think about.

I don't see it as an us or them thing. I have a residence in the city and one in a semi-rural area (but not that far from a bigger city). They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Silly proposal - administrative nightmare; might be using it to make another tax scheme more palatable. When I was in local gov't, and we were faced with budget cuts or attempts to cut taxes, we would play the schools-police-public safety card. . .we saved the notes, revised the script, but the point was to scare 'em off each time.

IRT big trucks, I'm not up on the taxes now; back in the day, they pretty much did a lot more damage than their taxes covered. They really mangle roads. On the other hand, commerce did benefit from their endeavors.

Not sure why taxes for schools are O.K., because they benefit us all (even if your kids went to private school), but I have to pay road tolls because I "should pay for the services I use" - like the roads don't benefits us all, directly or indirectly?

And why a tax break for dependent kids (though I did use it)? Pregnancy - they know what causes it now - it's a life choice. You want kids, go for it. Not sure why everyone else is expected to subsidize new parent's self-actualization?

I guess we all benefit when the population is age-stable? Personally, I think the new parents should pay a little more, for "the services they use". . . ???

Well, everyone who buys stuff... doesn't matter if by mail, at a store, what kind of store, etc you're getting it delivered via truck. If they pay more we probably pay more... you pay for it either way.

Also, note that the diesel tax is higher and big rigs don't exactly get great fuel economy. I'd say things probably come out pretty fair in the end.

Why does that matter? If the store is farther away you're already paying more tax by using more gas to get there. The only people affected by this would be those driving electric cars and not currently paying any gas taxes to support the highways they're using.

You've just described 81 miles of roads that costs around $1.21m per year to maintain ($15k per mile on average). And that is only enough to cover about 1 pothole per year and 1 resurface every 50 years.

How many people are using those roads? The average person pays around $200 in gas taxes each year. So I hope there are at least 6000 people using those roads (and ONLY those roads) on a daily basis to make it worth it, but if you say "boondocks", I kind of doubt it.

On the other hand, I share my 20-mile commute with 70'000 other cars each day. Each one of us pay around $6 per day to use it.

So you got one thing right. Big cities ARE taxed to subsidize your life style.

You've just described 81 miles of roads that costs around $1.21m per year to maintain ($15k per mile on average). And that is only enough to cover about 1 pothole per year and 1 resurface every 50 years.

How many people are using those roads? The average person pays around $200 in gas taxes each year. So I hope there are at least 6000 people using those roads (and ONLY those roads) on a daily basis to make it worth it, but if you say "boondocks", I kind of doubt it.

On the other hand, I share my 20-mile commute with 70'000 other cars each day. Each one of us pay around $6 per day to use it.

careful with average costs stuff. The average road in the boonies isn't as wide as the average road in the city (hint: where are the 2 lane highways and where are the 4, 5, 6 lane highways)

are taxes intended to generate revenue?

or are taxes intended to pay for services provided?

or are taxes intended to discourage an activity?

All of the above. Social engineering through taxes.

They're also intended to keep certain politicians in office.

Your post is excusable because you obviously don't know the history of mass transit in New York City or the present workings of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The short story is that the New York City transit system used to be operated for profit by two private companies, the Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit company (BMT) and the Interborough Rapid Transit company (IRT). They managed to make a profit while keeping the fare at $0.05 from 1904 through the 1930's, when they requested and were denied a far increase to $0.07.

In 1932, the City of New York established a third "company," the Independent Subway System (IND), to raise revenue by competing with the BMT and IRT. This "company," combined with the city's refusal to allow the fare increase to $0.07, drove the BMT and IRT into insolvency, and they were purchased at bargain-basement rates by the city in 1940.

Predictably, by the late 1960's, the city had made such a mess of mass transit that the system was essentially bankrupt, despite having already raised the fares by 400 percent. So Governor Nelson Rockefeller and Mayor John Lindsay conspired to illegally seize control of the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority (TBTA), which was the only fiscally sound agency in New York City government at that time, from Robert Moses, and to divert the toll revenues to subsidize mass transit.

One of the reasons why the seizure was illegal was because the bonds that had been issued to fund the bridges, tunnels, and so forth that were under TBTA's control clearly defined the purposes for which the toll revenue was to be used -- and funding mass transit was not among them. Another was that some (not all) of the tolls were supposed to expire when the bonds were paid off. The reason Rockefeller and Lindsay got away with it anyway was because Chase Manhattan Bank, which was run by the governor's brother John, held most of the bonds.

A new state agency, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, was created to run the subways, regional commuter railroads, and bus systems, as well as the bridges and tunnels formerly run by the TBTA. The lion's share of the toll revenue was then diverted to public transit.

The MTA is quite probably the least accountable and most wasteful public agency ever established. Since the MTA was established, the tolls on the formerly TBTA bridges and tunnels have increased in varying amounts ranging from 800 percent to 1,600 percent; and since the city took over the subways (which were folded into the MTA), the fare has increased by more than 4,000 percent. There's also rental, advertising, and concession income from MTA-owned properties to the tune of billions of dollars per year.

But all that revenue still isn't enough. The MTA exists in a perpetual state of fiscal instability and must be subsidized by multiple surcharges, fees, and taxes paid by motorists, businesses of any kind, and self-employed people in any New York State county that has so much as a single MTA bus stop within its boundaries; as well as special taxes and surcharges on various transportation-related businesses, and numerous grants and subsidies from all levels of government.

And yet the MTA perpetually teeters on the brink of collapse. No amount of money has ever been enough to satisfy its hunger. It is a fiscal black hole.

The taxes, fees, and surcharges collected from people within MTA's footprint are not insignificant. We're not talking a few dollars a year. We're talking thousands of dollars. In fact, after Jeannette and I split, I decided to sell the business and move out of The City (before she changed her mind :lol: ). I considered places in New York as far north as the Adirondacks as well as in other states in the Northeast and New England. I did not, however, consider any county within the MTA's purview. I wanted to be far enough north that I wouldn't have to pay any of the numerous taxes, fees, and surcharges that would be levied against me as a self-employed person in, and merely as a resident of, any of those counties. The costs of supporting the MTA really are that bad.

Of course, anyone who lives in New York State pays for the MTA to some extent because of the grants and subsidies from general tax revenues and a few statewide subsidies built into various taxes and fees. The same could be said of anyone who lives in the United States, for that matter, since the agency receives massive federal subsidies as well. But the people who live in the Downtate New York counties where MTA has even a minimal presence get the biggest screwing of all, often to the tune of thousands of dollars a year.

So who's subsidizing whom?

People who live in the boondocks in general, even outside MTA's purview, pay more in fuel taxes (some of which also go to pay off MTA bonds, by the way) because of the increased distances that they drive. They also own more cars per capita and therefore pay more in registration fees and sales taxes. (Many people in New York City don't even bother to get driver's licenses, much less own cars.)

Furthermore, a lot of the roads in rural areas are maintained by counties and municipalities, not by the state, and that maintenance is funded by local tax revenues. Also, rural roads in general require less maintenance because they get less use. Other than filling a few potholes every spring, most of the roads around here are on 10-year resurfacing cycles. Some are longer.

The other insult in all this is the myth perpetuated by pro-mass transit advocates that "rich people" drive cars and "poor people" ride the subways. This too is a farce.

Take a look at the traffic waiting to pay the tolls at the Midtown or Battery tunnels some day. The vast majority of vehicles are either taxis or service vehicles of some sort (maids, plumbers, carpenters, couriers, mobile food vendors, delivery trucks, and so forth) driven by blue-collar people. They have no choice other than to drive because of the tools and materials that they need to schlep around with them. The bankers, stockbrokers, commodities traders, and CEOs, on the other hand, can take Metro North, the LIRR, and the subways and buses because all they need to carry is their briefcases and their egos.

Consequently, a farmer, storekeeper, handyman, or other self-employed person -- or even simply a resident -- of Dutchess, Putnam, Orange, or any other county in MTA's purview, is paying extra taxes, fees, and surcharges to subsidize the commutes of bankers, stockbrokers, commodities traders, and CEOs riding the railroads, subways, and buses -- quite contrary to the common myth.

So again, who's subsidizing whom?

Personally, I've long favored dismantling the MTA and selling it off to private operators. The only time New York City transit ever operated efficiently was under private ownership. It was profitable enough that the city itself got into the game, first by establishing the IND and then by buying the MBT and IRT, because they thought mass transit was a lucrative revenue source. Look how that turned out.

Rich

Last edited:
Then how do you pay for the roads? Just a flax tax of lets say $100 a year to every car owner?

Plus we need to get away from fossil fuel usage. Yes, I know currently more pollution is created to charge said electric cars then to just have fuel burning ones. But most of those reasons can easily be fixed.

The money has already been collected, just hold the managers of this tax money accountable for the proper application of that tax to road maintenance instead of their pet projects.

Your post is excusable because you obviously don't know the history of mass transit in New York City or the present workings of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The short story is that the New York City transit system used to be operated for profit by two private companies, the Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit company (BMT) and the Interborough Rapid Transit company (IRT). They managed to make a profit while keeping the fare at $0.05 from 1904 through the 1930's, when they requested and were denied a far increase to $0.07.

In 1932, the City of New York established a third "company," the Independent Subway System (IND), to raise revenue by competing with the BMT and IRT. This "company," combined with the city's refusal to allow the fare increase to $0.07, drove the BMT and IRT into insolvency, and they were purchased at bargain-basement rates by the city in 1940.

Predictably, by the late 1960's, the city had made such a mess of mass transit that the system was essentially bankrupt, despite having already raised the fares by 400 percent. So Governor Nelson Rockefeller and Mayor John Lindsay conspired to illegally seize control of the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority (TBTA), which was the only fiscally sound agency in New York City government at that time, from Robert Moses, and to divert the toll revenues to subsidize mass transit.

One of the reasons why the seizure was illegal was because the bonds that had been issued to find the bridges, tunnels, and so forth that were under TBTA's control clearly defined the purposes for which the toll revenue was to be used -- and funding mass transit was not among them. Another was that some (not all) of the tolls were supposed to expire when the bonds were paid off. The reason Rockefeller and Lindsay got away with it anyway was because Chase Manhattan Bank, which was run by the governor's brother John, held most of the bonds.

A new state agency, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, was created to run the subways, regional commuter railroads, and bus systems, as well as the bridges and tunnels formerly run by the TBTA. The lion's share of the toll revenue was then diverted to public transit.

The MTA is quite probably the least accountable and most wasteful public agency ever established. Since the MTA was established, the tolls on the formerly TBTA bridges and tunnels have increased in varying amounts ranging from 800 percent to 1,600 percent; and since the city took over the subways (which were folded into the MTA), the fare has increased by more than 4,000 percent. There's also rental, advertising, and concession income from MTA-owned properties to the tune of billions of dollars per year.

But all that revenue still isn't enough. The MTA exists in a perpetual state of fiscal instability and must be subsidized by multiple surcharges, fees, and taxes paid by motorists, businesses of any kind, and self-employed people in any New York State county that has so much as a single MTA bus stop within its boundaries; as well as special taxes and surcharges on various transportation-related businesses, and numerous grants and subsidies from all levels of government.

And yet the MTA perpetually teeters on the brink of collapse. No amount of money has ever been enough to satisfy its hunger. It is a fiscal black hole.

The taxes, fees, and surcharges collected from people within MTA's footprint are not insignificant. We're not talking a few dollars a year. We're talking thousands of dollars. In fact, after Jeannette and I split, I decided to sell the business and move out of The City (before she changed her mind :lol: ). I considered places in New York as far north as the Adirondacks as well as in other states in the Northeast and New England. I did not, however, consider any county within the MTA's purview. I wanted to be far enough north that I wouldn't have to pay any of the numerous taxes, fees, and surcharges that would be levied against me as a self-employed person in, and merely as a resident of, any of those counties. The costs of supporting the MTA really are that bad.

Of course, anyone who lives in New York State pays for the MTA to some extent because of the grants and subsidies from general tax revenues and a few statewide subsidies built into various taxes and fees. The same could be said of anyone who lives in the United States, for that matter, since the agency receives massive federal subsidies as well. But the people who live in the Downtate New York counties where MTA has even a minimal presence get the biggest screwing of all, often to the tune of thousands of dollars a year.

People who live in the boondocks in general, even outside MTA's purview, pay more in fuel taxes (some of which also go to pay off MTA bonds, by the way) because of the increased distances that they drive. They also own more cars per capita and therefore pay more in registration fees and sales taxes. (Many people in New York City don't even bother to get driver's licenses, much less own cars.)

Furthermore, a lot of the roads in rural areas are maintained by counties and municipalities, not by the state, and that maintenance is funded by local tax revenues. Also, rural roads in general require less maintenance because they get less use. Other than filling a few potholes every spring, most of the roads around here are on 10-year resurfacing cycles. Some are longer.

The other insult in all this is the myth perpetuated by pro-mass transit advocates that "rich people" drive cars and "poor people" ride the subways. This too is a farce.

Take a look at the traffic waiting to pay the tolls at the Midtown or Battery tunnels some day. The vast majority of vehicles are either taxis or service vehicles of some sort (maids, plumbers, carpenters, couriers, mobile food vendors, delivery trucks, and so forth) driven by blue-collar people. They have no choice other than to drive because of the tools and materials that they need to schlep around with them. The bankers, stockbrokers, commodities traders, and CEOs, on the other hand, can take Metro North, the LIRR, and the subways and buses because all they need to carry is their briefcases and their egos.

Consequently, a farmer, storekeeper, handyman, or other self-employed person -- or even simply a resident -- of Dutchess, Putnam, Orange, or any other county in MTA's purview, is paying extra taxes, fees, and surcharges to subsidize the commutes of bankers, stockbrokers, commodities traders, and CEOs riding the railroads, subways, and buses -- quite contrary to the common myth.

Personally, I've long favored dismantling the MTA and selling it off to private operators. The only time New York City transit ever operated efficiently was under private ownership. It was profitable enough that the city itself got into the game, first by establishing the IND and then by buying the MBT and IRT, because they thought mass transit was a lucrative revenue source. Look how that turned out.

Rich

Thank you!

Instead of raising the gas taxes, why don't we demand what they collect now are spent on roads?

Thank you! My thoughts exactly ,I'm reading this from front to back and just found your post.

A tire tax makes some sense - has the effect of being somewhat mileage related, too.
Gas/Diesel vehicle, tax = X because they are paying more in gas taxes already
Hybrid vehicle, tax = X * 1.5
Pure Elec Vehicle, tax = X * 2

Another idea would be a tax on the electricity bill of electric car owners. Xref vehicle registration databases with license place registrations. Utilities are already pretty heavily regulated and the infrastructure for tax collection is already in place.

Just some thoughts...

A tire tax makes some sense - has the effect of being somewhat mileage related, too.

Gas/Diesel vehicle, tax = X because they are paying more in gas taxes already

Hybrid vehicle, tax = X * 1.5

Pure Elec Vehicle, tax = X * 2

Another idea would be a tax on the electricity bill of electric car owners. Xref vehicle registration databases with license place registrations. Utilities are already pretty heavily regulated and the infrastructure for tax collection is already in place.

Just some thoughts...

We have had taxes on tires since the 1930's.

////////////

A tax is imposed on taxable tires sold by the manufacturer, producer, or importer at the rate of $.0945 ($.04725 in the case of a biasply tire or super single tire) for each 10 pounds of the maximum rated load capacity over 3,500 pounds. The three categories for reporting the tax and the tax rate are listed below.
Taxable tires other than biasply or super single tires at $.0945.
Taxable tires, biasply or super single tires (other than super single tires designed for steering) at $.04725.
Taxable tires, super single tires designed for steering at $.0945.
A taxable tire is any tire of the type used on highway vehicles if wholly or partially made of rubber and if marked according to federal regulations for highway use. A biasply tire is a pneumatic tire on which the ply cords that extend to the beads are laid at alternate angles substantially less than 90 degrees to the centerline of the tread. A super single tire is a tire greater than 13 inches in cross section width designed to replace 2 tires in a dual fitment.

People benefit from roads even if they don't drive. Drivers benefit from mass transit even if they don't use it, since it keeps cars off the roads. No one will ever agree on what is an equitable way to pay for these things.

I think this thread does a good job of illustrating one of the problems with user fees: Trying to account in detail for who uses what, who owes what, and what's fair, quickly turns into more complexity than it's worth.

We are paying $3.40 for regular here in Mammoth Lakes. Last year you could check how much of that was tax but this year we have tens of billions of cap and trade to pay for so now the retailers are denied access to the breakdown they used to publish.

Of course this is only the beginning, no caps have been established yet.

We are getting lots of snow, must be because we are paying more hidden taxes to fight global warming and it is working.

Don't laugh, your state is next especially if you are ruled by the left like California.

I'm for minimizing the number of different taxes. When you have fuel taxes, mileage taxes, tire taxes, etc., lawmakers and bureaucrats have a much easier time playing sleight of hand and raising each of 'em "just a little", while digging deeper and deeper into your pockets, while tripling the bureaucracy required to manage the different taxes.

With one "transportation" tax, it would be much more manageable.

People benefit from roads even if they don't drive. Drivers benefit from mass transit even if they don't use it, since it keeps cars off the roads. No one will ever agree on what is an equitable way to pay for these things.

Paying for the services that you actually use seems pretty equitable to me.

Rich

Paying for the services that you actually use seems pretty equitable to me.

Rich
But people benefit from roads and mass transit even if they don't physically "use" them in ways that are hard to quantify.

"So who's subsidizing whom?" - The person who posted that question covers the entire thread correctly with that simple sentence.

We are getting lots of snow, must be because we are paying more hidden taxes to fight global warming and it is working.

So all it takes is one snowy winter in one part of the globe to disprove global warming? :rolleyes:

I'm for minimizing the number of different taxes. When you have fuel taxes, mileage taxes, tire taxes, etc., lawmakers and bureaucrats have a much easier time playing sleight of hand and raising each of 'em "just a little", while digging deeper and deeper into your pockets, while tripling the bureaucracy required to manage the different taxes.

With one "transportation" tax, it would be much more manageable.

Good luck with getting the number of taxes reduced!

<snip>

Personally, I've long favored dismantling the MTA and selling it off to private operators.

Rich

Thank you for your excellent response Rich! Truth be told, we have a similar problem in WA, albeit not to this extend. Cities pay for rural roads that few people drive on, rural pays for city public transportation that they have no access to.

In a perfect use-cost-averaged scenario, 50% of people will overpay and 50% of people will underpay. It appears worst when then taken in isolation and people ignoring the subsidy they receive on one side and focus on the subsidy they pay on the other side. But even if you do the math perfectly, 50% of people are still going to overpay for what they get and those will be the ones most vocal about it. It's the only way it can work, but there's no getting around it - a lot of people will overpay for what they get.

This happens in the private sector as well of course, but in the private sector people forgive it a bit more. e.g. Electricity delivery is generally privatized. It's cross-subsidized like crazy, but because theoretically it's an optional service and you can give it up if you want there is significantly less contention on that one. In the public sector people feels violated when they have to pay for subsidies because they don't have a choice in the matter.

I personally don't think government has any business levying use taxes of any kind. If something can be paid for by a use tax, it can be managed by the private sector. Government should stick to the only form of revenue that it can collect that cannot be collected by the private sector, and that's progressive tax (taxation relative to earnings, rather than relative to use).

So either pay for all transportation using progressive taxes, or privatize the whole system. I'm fine with either.

Historically, it was of course difficult to bill for roads on a per-use basis, but the technology now exists to do it. It's still expensive to do, but you can bet that if every road is billed per-use and for a business that's their only source of revenue, that technology will become real cheap, real quick. It also solves another uniquely U.S. problem - For some reason that defies logic, Americans hate it when the government tracks their whereabouts, but could care less if unregulated private sector does it. (It's the exact opposite in Europe btw.) But alas - work in the confines of the culture, and thus, with privatized road use tracking and billing, you work around that problem.

Private sector roads may of course require some regulation to ensure universal access and safety, but other sectors work like that as well. At the same time you can also get rid of this stupid cat-and-mouse game that the public plays with traffic police. Make the company who owns the road take a financial responsibility in keeping the road safe, and you bet they will figure out a ton of other, better, ways to enforce road safety.

The one exception I can see is that, regardless of technology, this isn't possible for is strategic defense. The interstate highway system is overdesigned and always needs to be, for the purposes of supporting troop movement in time of war. Ok fine, the military can write a yearly check to whoever maintains the interstates in order to keep the capacity available. We don't want to get into a situation that Canada is in where they've just lost the ONLY road linking east to west Canada. :eek:. This just shows you again that Canada is ENTIRELY relying on the U.S. for defense purposes.

But people benefit from roads and mass transit even if they don't physically "use" them in ways that are hard to quantify.

So why bother even attempting to quantify it? Just charge people for what they use. The rest will balance out by itself.

People who don't drive or use mass transit benefit from roads, but they also pay for them in the form of shipping costs that are built into products that they consume. There's no reason for them to subsidize the roads beyond that.

Those same people might sometimes benefit from mass transit (for example, an elderly person's home aide might ride the subways or buses to work); but again, those costs would be built into their cost for the services provided.

People who use mass transit do reduce the number of cars on the road and the associated road costs, but the same is also true in the inverse: People who drive lighten the load on mass transit and so reduce both the capital and operating costs. So those two groups are a wash. There's no need for them to subsidize each other.

Likewise, in terms of subjective commuting experience, people who use public transportation to commute do reduce the traffic jams for those who must drive, but only if there are no tolls. If there are tolls, then the subjective commuting benefit of reduced traffic are outweighed by toll delays.

whitestonebridgecrash_ne_2012_03_08_q_elliskaplan_z.jpg

In addition, those who drive also reduce the crowding in the subways (which during rush hour is extremely severe):

2498731626_78808b0321_z.jpg

So either way, those who use either mode of transportation benefit those who use the other, making that a wash, too.

I've been riding the subways and buses since the fare was $0.20. Even as an adult, there have been long periods during which I lived in New York City and didn't own a car because I didn't need one. But I've never believed in the subsidies. I have always believed that everyone should pay for the services that they use.

Finally, some people make the argument that poor people need mass transit to get to work, and that the fare costs would be prohibitive without the subsidies given their low wages. That's nonsense for the most part. Poor people are much more likely to have manual labor, craft, or service jobs that require them to drive. But in those few cases where it's true that transit fare would wipe out so much of a person's wages as to make it not worth working, subsidize the person, not the system. Give low-income employed people reduced-rate fare cards so they can get to work. The billionaires like Mike Bloomberg who ride the subways can afford to pay their own fares.

Rich

Last edited:
So why bother even attempting to quantify it? Just charge people for what they use. The rest will balance out by itself.
If it's impossible to quantify how is it possible to come up with a system to charge people for what they use? People want these charges to be "fair" but it is impossible to come up with a way to calculate that.

Then you need to balance the revenue from any particular system against the cost to collect and enforce. This is probably where taxes and tolls come out ahead, but tolls have only come out ahead recently since they are more automated and you don't need an army of tolltakers. Still, I wonder how efficient it is to have license plate tolls, since someone has to enforce collection. The toll tags are more efficent since you prepay or have a credit card on file.

One of the reasons why the seizure was illegal was because the bonds that had been issued to fund the bridges, tunnels, and so forth that were under TBTA's control clearly defined the purposes for which the toll revenue was to be used -- and funding mass transit was not among them. Another was that some (not all) of the tolls were supposed to expire when the bonds were paid off. The reason Rockefeller and Lindsay got away with it anyway was because Chase Manhattan Bank, which was run by the governor's brother John, held most of the bonds.

Rich

My firm once tried to do business with the MTA on a contract. Our first bid, and it was competitively priced based on our work and the word of our partners. We were told that it was attractive but because we weren't a "regular bidder" we wouldn't get the contract. It wasn't worth the fight, but we do know that the winning bidder was ~1.5 times as much money as we bid. This was for professional consulting services.

Does that sign really say "No Cameras, No Video"? Land of the free, my ***. That's the kind of thing that oppressive regimes do in public areas, not free countries.

Throw them all out, vote often.

If it's impossible to quantify how is it possible to come up with a system to charge people for what they use? People want these charges to be "fair" but it is impossible to come up with a way to calculate that.

Then you need to balance the revenue from any particular system against the cost to collect and enforce. This is probably where taxes and tolls come out ahead, but tolls have only come out ahead recently since they are more automated and you don't need an army of tolltakers. Still, I wonder how efficient it is to have license plate tolls, since someone has to enforce collection. The toll tags are more efficent since you prepay or have a credit card on file.

why is that more efficient?

How efficient can it be when it doesn't take into account folks from out of state?

why is that more efficient?

How efficient can it be when it doesn't take into account folks from out of state?
I meant it was more efficient for people who actually had toll tags.

Back