Mike Collins flies west

I'm amazed we still have Buzz with us. What an amazing trio.

The heavens will shine a little brighter tonight...a class act and true American Hero...just enough of the right stuff...rest in peace.

I had the pleasure to meet the man at a gathering a few decades ago. RIP

For reasons I can't explain, he was always favorite of the three. RIP.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...onaut-michael-collins-dies-age-90-2021-04-28/
Before I really became a space geek, my first awareness of Michael Collins was as the answer to a first edition trivial pursuit science and nature question. Years later after countless Apollo documentaries I read his autobiography. He was definitely a strait shooters and most certainly the right man for the job back in 1969.

Sorry to hear the news, as inevitable as it was. Good suggestion on Carrying the Fire book.

I read Carrying the Fire many years ago. I have also seen In the Shadow of the Moon. Two good suggestions. RIP. :(

I enjoyed it enough to keep it through many moves and book purges, and I knew exactly where it was.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 19.53.32.png

Last edited:
The summer of 1976, I was one of millions to enjoy the National Air and Space Museum that he opened that July on the Mall. It was a fabulous hit. And he was the museum director who got the funding and opened it.

The summer of 1976, I was one of millions to enjoy the National Air and Space Museum that he opened that July on the Mall. It was a fabulous hit. And he was the museum director who got the funding and opened it.

Yep. We made the trek from Chicago to DC for the bicentennial and of course the NASP museum was where I wanted to spend all my time. The politics Collins had to deal with to bring the opening in on time must have been epic.

Looking forward to it being open again after it's extensive remodel.

fbc139394262f8c75a487ef78be62315.jpg

Back