Mighty 8th Air Force Museum and KSAV

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I've driven past the Mighty 8th museum many, many times on I-95 and said "I want to visit that one day." I've got a possible weekend free in a month or so and I'm looking into flying into KSAV, visiting the museum and then flying home.

Anybody with experience at KSAV? Signature or Sheltair? Fees? Uber?

PiReps appreciated...

John

I highly recommend the museum. If you are into WWII history it is awesome. Unfortunately I can't help you with KSAV info. I live close enough that it is not worth the hassle for me to fly into Savannah.

Well, they're the usual big FBOs with inflated gas prices and tie down fees. Used both Sheltair and Signature there many times. No real difference in service between the two.

The 8th really doesn't have much in it as far as aircraft. Maybe half a dozen planes. A pristine restored "City of Savannah" B-17 though.

Well, they're the usual big FBOs with inflated gas prices and tie down fees. Used both Sheltair and Signature there many times. No real difference in service between the two.

The 8th really doesn't have much in it as far as aircraft. Maybe half a dozen planes. A pristine restored "City of Savannah" B-17 though.

I saw the gas prices. :( How much are the tie down fees? (ballpark. I'll call before I go.)

I saw the gas prices. :( How much are the tie down fees? (ballpark. I'll call before I go.)

$10. I think I paid like $100 a month to keep my plane in the ramp for a few months. Get gas and they'll waive their service / handling fee.

ATC is the usual class C stuff. They really aren't a very busy C. A mix of regionals, military, GA and the Gulfstream test aircraft. Of course you have the famous grave stones on the left side of runway 10. :)

A good stop for a museum is further inland at Warner Robins. Land at Macon (MCN) and get a rental from Lowe Aviation. That museum takes a whole day to see, where as the 8th takes about 2 hours. Still worth seeing but just doesn't have nearly the displays that WRB has.

$10. I think I paid like $100 a month to keep my plane in the ramp for a few months. Get gas and they'll waive their service / handling fee.

ATC is the usual class C stuff. They really aren't a very busy C. A mix of regionals, military, GA and the Gulfstream test aircraft. Of course you have the famous grave stones on the left side of runway 10. :)

A good stop for a museum is further inland at Warner Robins. Land at Macon (MCN) and get a rental from Lowe Aviation. That museum takes a whole day to see, where as the 8th takes about 2 hours. Still worth seeing but just doesn't have nearly the displays that WRB has.

Warner Robbins in on my list as well. My grandfather was in the corps of engineers when that one was being built/expanded in the late 1940's early 1950's.

John

Nothing like dropping bombs on someone to persuade them of your argument. Yay 8th. LOL.

"The last argument of Kings" as they say.

It was the WW 2 airplanes in books and movies (and TV, 12 O'Clock High anyone?) that first fascinated me with flying.

John

When we were down a few years ago we used Sheltair. They took care of us. We hangared with them, don't remember then cost.

Last edited:
Sheltair treated us well at KSAV. They waived fees with gas purchase and gave us a discount for filling up even though wa only needed about fifteen gallons. Sheltair got us a great crew rate at a good hotel.

Been into SAV several times over the years in the work airplane (G-III/V) and Sheltair has always treated us well. Most of the time fees were waived due to gov't contract/fuel purchase, but nonetheless, the inside and ramp staff were always super nice and helpful.

Definitely! It's free too! Well worth it, and it's BIG, a lot of stuff there also besides planes. Years ago they had a combat communications display set up. The 5th CCG is assigned there. I was in the 2nd CCG when it was at Patrick. Besides all the comm gear, our part was ATC w/ mobile control towers and radar w/ surveillance and PAR.

How about Mathis, GA @Zeldman ?

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/05/graves-on-airport-runways.html

Looks like many more people there than Savannah.

I didn't think it was in Georgia. I haven't been there since '96.

I thought is was somewhere in Colorado.

I also remember seeing this grave that split a road because the grandson would not let grandma be moved off her favorite place, he held them at bay with a shotgun. When I was in the area I had to go see for myself.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/03/a-grave-in-middle-of-road.html

Back