Midwest to South Florida

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
KLAF Lafayette, Indiana to KMKY Marco Island, Florida

Leaving probably Sunday. I might have a tail wind, probably 3 legs, 2 stops.

First stop possibly KCHA Chattanooga. I’ve read good reviews about the FBO.

My route would have me direct over ATL, so I’ll skirt west, aiming to hit Florida between Tallahassee and Valdosta GA, and stopping west of Gainesville, FL. Any suggestions of FBOs? Doesn’t look like much choice, KCTY or KFPY, unless I stretch it further south or east to some familiar airport names from watching Shappert / MZeroA about 6-7 years ago.

I may stop short due to WX, or fatigue (depending on wind direction).

I have nothing helpful but look forward to reading about your journey.

Are you flying solo or with a spouse or others? First big trip? Are you instrument rated? Blue skies!

You're picking a good time to go.... going to get cold here finally. I'm no help wrt north Florida stopping points, but I did want to mention that atl will transition you directly over the field N-S vfr between 4-6000. It's pretty cool going right over the big airport with jets going in and out to both sides of you, and saves the time of going around.

Flew into KDAB a couple times and stayed at ATP, free overnight parking and cheap fuel. I even ordered some services, oil change and airplane washing. ATP had the respective guys contact me, they did their work and prices were much cheaper than my mechanics.

KDAB is an extremely busy airport, you’ll be transferred to several controllers on approach, but it is a great experience for some heavy traffic flying. The default seems to be giving you flight following even when you do not request it so they are really looking out for you.

My go-to stop when in Florida, nice hotels (Daytona Hotel-Marriott) at the Daytona speedway, great BBQ restaurant there, and check out the famous Embry Riddle University.

I have nothing helpful but look forward to reading about your journey.

Are you flying solo or with a spouse or others? First big trip? Are you instrument rated? Blue skies!

Thanks. Solo, meeting spouse, kids, parents down there (they arrive various times).

I’ve done 3 flights to Texas, but in spring time.

IR, current, but not proficient. Staying out of clouds this time of year due to icing anyway. I’ll get FF.

My biggest issue will be staying alert and nimble with my flying skills after a couple legs and beyond 5-6 hours in the air. I’ve done 10 hours with a co-pilot before, splitting PIC duties each leg. That was tiring.

You're picking a good time to go.... going to get cold here finally. I'm no help wrt north Florida stopping points, but I did want to mention that atl will transition you directly over the field N-S vfr between 4-6000. It's pretty cool going right over the big airport with jets going in and out to both sides of you, and saves the time of going around.

I had gotten the impression that they’d keep you out, but I’m happy to go over/thru. Indy does that too when I’m heading south, it’s cool, but ATL is impressive I bet!

Keep in mind if it's a not so thick stratus layer, don't dismiss blasting through it to get on top, and stay in the system IFR. Yeah, you might get a bit of ice on the way through, but once on top it will all come off. And I mean ON TOP, as in no other clouds above you. I've done this a few times in the winter.

First stop possibly KCHA Chattanooga. I’ve read good reviews about the FBO.
Skip CHA… you’ll pay unnecessary handling fee’s and higher priced fuel. Come to FGU - we’re just east of CHA and provide an easy in and out with much cheaper fuel prices. Let me know if you’re coming, and I’ll keep an eye out for ya! I’d love to meet you!

Skip CHA… you’ll pay unnecessary handling fee’s and higher priced fuel. Come to FGU - we’re just east of CHA and provide an easy in and out with much cheaper fuel prices. Let me know if you’re coming, and I’ll keep an eye out for ya! I’d love to meet you!

Nice! I hadn’t even considered you were there. Should be Sunday AM, for now.

How many clicks on that AWOS-A? It doesn’t say on the A/FD
Three, although I’m currently in the midst of upgrading it, so it may or may not be reliable when you come by. It’s an older system that needs an overhaul.

What I’m telling folks right now, is to get ATIS from CHA and AWOS from RZR (the two closest reporting stations) and the weather at FGU will be more or less identical. Can also call UNICOM for an advisory.

Thanks. Solo, meeting spouse, kids, parents down there (they arrive various times).

I’ve done 3 flights to Texas, but in spring time.

IR, current, but not proficient. Staying out of clouds this time of year due to icing anyway. I’ll get FF.

My biggest issue will be staying alert and nimble with my flying skills after a couple legs and beyond 5-6 hours in the air. I’ve done 10 hours with a co-pilot before, splitting PIC duties each leg. That was tiring.
If you do file IFR, the routing I used to get most often once you get to Florida is OCF V157 LAL QUNCY.

I’m not sure if it’s any better now, but when I was flying a similar route a year or two ago JAX approach was super busy and turning down VFR Flight Following. If you want to be talking to a controller it might make sense to file for at least the southern leg where icing should be less of a concern.

My go-to places for fuel stops when flying between Florida and Iowa are Winchester, TN (cheap gas), Shelbyville, TN (take the crew car to the Bell Buckle Cafe for lunch, thank me later) and LaGrange, GA.

I've considered trying to go over KATL, but I'd rather be able to pick my own altitude than descend to what works for ATC on those routes. In the winter, that helps me stay ice-free; in the summer it keeps me out of the bumps down low.

Also: good choice to stay west of ATL. The terrain is lower that way than on the east side, giving you more options.

Enjoy the flight!

- Martin

Thank you all. With the tailwind that I think I’ll get, I may try to do this in 2 legs, 1 longer stop to grab lunch. Less logistics to mess with too. It’s a tad over 6 hours total. Will finalize plans tonight.

Back