Midwest POA Janebruary Lunch February 3, 2024 1200 EST Rick's Boatyard KEYE

Bummer, but I completely understand.

I'm still a go at this point. Should be clear on top of a relatively thin layer, the icing forecast doesn't show anything, and it's supposed to be below -10c in the clouds. I'll do another check of weather & pireps before I go, but it looks to be within my limits.

I'll probably be the only one there, but there's worse things than flying to breakfast by yourself.
I have to check club rules but might also be scratching today. You are welcome to swing by 06C for lunch instead.

My weeks are slowing down so I’ll probably make up for this by going mid week. I haven’t flown in 6 days! :(

Who is still in? Anyone besides @Jim K ? I’m on the fence. I’m noting just to the south it’s clear at KRPJ. Lot of sky clear across central IL in general if we wanted to switch airports.

I"m going to try and go to KJVL but will need to make a go/no-go decision around 11am based on the ceilings. I'm seeing some VFR traffic buzzing around which makes me optimistic.

The weather is slow to improve, marginal forecast pushed out a little later. I’ll fly later, plane is plugged in. I plan to just land back at the home airport. Parking on the ramp at 15 degrees for 1:45 is doable, but doesn’t excite me.

I have to maw the call now, as I’m 1 hr drive from the plane. What I see is IMC time into JVL (seems to be OVC013 TOP026 ish), which for the plane /club I’m in would make it no-go. DKB being IFR doesn’t help. I think South of I-88 is probably decent VMC.

As a mk1 eyeball PIREP from 2nm N of 06C, I’d say it’s BKN010-015 with a super thin layer - can’t see through it but it’s “sunny”, and light snow.

I will be sliding my plane reservation back to later and see if I can get some flying later.

I have to maw the call now, as I’m 1 hr drive from the plane. What I see is IMC time into JVL (seems to be OVC013 TOP026 ish), which for the plane /club I’m in would make it no-go. DKB being IFR doesn’t help. I think South of I-88 is probably decent VMC.

As a mk1 eyeball PIREP from 2nm N of 06C, I’d say it’s BKN010-015 with a super thin layer - can’t see through it but it’s “sunny”, and light snow.

I will be sliding my plane reservation back to later and see if I can get some flying later.
Club rule is no imc below a certain temp?

I’m going to punch out too. At this point by the time I preflight I’m already late. Spent too much time reloading weather over and over… probably would be fine and it’s clear here at home but I’m just not feeling it with the clouds and icing airmet.

Jim’s about 20 minutes out. I’d be there with you if it weren’t for dog ate my homework/plane still in the shop/work trip out of state (two of these are true). Make sure to get a photo (selfie?) in with breakfast crew.

Club rule is no imc below a certain temp?
It’s a briefing and the OVC013 at JVL and no PIREPs was making it a dicey call. It’s CAVU now at 06C and I’m trying to figure out why I’m on the ground.

You pick up any ice on approach?

Jim’s about 20 minutes out. I’d be there with you if it weren’t for dog ate my homework/plane still in the shop/work trip out of state (two of these are true). Make sure to get a photo (selfie?) in with breakfast crew.
Is it the eggs Benedict or the donuts?

It’s a briefing and the OVC013 at JVL and no PIREPs was making it a dicey call. It’s CAVU now at 06C and I’m trying to figure out why I’m on the ground.

You pick up any ice on approach?
I was in the clouds for about 30s, luckily just enough to log the approach. No ice. Sitting here in the restaurant looking at about 40% sky cover. I bet I could've done a visual to 32.

Re: dkb being ifr, here's why:

IMG_20221218_114402908.jpg

Rockford power station was making clouds and blowing them directly at Dekalb.

Is it the eggs Benedict or the donuts?
The Eggs Benny are really good but their corned beef hash with sweet potatoes is brilliant.

Last edited:
Gotta be honest, that was the best "MVFR" weather ever. Here's what 1300 OVC looks like at KJVL! ... Almost felt like the METARs were trying to keep people on the ground...

That prop was SLOW to start after being in the 15 F cold for an hour!

But on the bright side good food, coffee and company. Got to meet mr @Jim K !

upload_2022-12-18_15-18-40.png

To be fair, this is what it looked like turning final on the rnav 22 when I got there (on time:p) :

IMG_20221218_120050174.jpg

Bessie's eggs benny was excellent. By far the best I've had. $16 with the coffee. As @masloki knows...I get my money's worth in coffee.
Good company too:

IMG_20221218_131526355.jpg

Here's my lame attempt at a selfie lol. HDR apparently not the strong suite of my old & busted Motorola phone. At least my airplane turned out:

IMG_20221218_131534334_HDR.jpg

Bessie's eggs benny was excellent. By far the best I've had. $16 with the coffee. As @masloki knows...I get my money's worth in coffee.
That’s how I look at it. Breakfast is free with purchase and consumption of $16 worth of coffee, and the next pot of coffee after that is free, too.

To be fair, this is what it looked like turning final on the rnav 22 when I got there (on time:p) :

View attachment 113163

Good company too:

View attachment 113164

Here's my lame attempt at a selfie lol. HDR apparently not the strong suite of my old & busted Motorola phone. At least my airplane turned out:

View attachment 113162
The Lance with the photo bomb!

What's the over under on when you start making airplane noises in the living room?
Well, I went to Bessies and no one was there! (This would have been a lot funnier if I had remembered to take a picture of Bessies). Anyway, here is the one pic I did take

77423134-6E12-47E9-B1E2-D3BF4CEA3C72.jpeg

Well, I went to Bessies and no one was there! (This would have been a lot funnier if I had remembered to take a picture of Bessies). Anyway, here is the one pic I did take

View attachment 113170
You should've come to cmi and taken me for a twin ride. Too bad I can't safety pilot for you in that thing. Guess I need to get my multi.

You should've come to cmi and taken me for a twin ride. Too bad I can't safety pilot for you in that thing. Guess I need to get my multi.
I was thinking about it but failed to coordinate. Let’s do that soon!

And, yes - get your multi!

@kaiser would you explain the club rule that played into the scrub earlier?

Is the club for the DA42?
It’s not written in stone, but this one required a briefing. Since it was my first solo in the plane, it was sternly suggested I avoid actual IMC in a Zulu airmet. Absent any other info, I conceded.

It’s not written in stone, but this one required a briefing. Since it was my first solo in the plane, it was sternly suggested I avoid actual IMC in a Zulu airmet. Absent any other info, I conceded.
So because it was your first solo, they wanted you to talk to a safety officer or someone like that before you went? Did you tell them that airmets are worthless? :D

I assume that once you have some more experience in the plane they're not as strict?

I'm interested in the policy as the clubs I've been in don't have anything like that. The club I used to be in lost a Cherokee Six about 15 years ago to a VFR pilot scud running into the Appalachians at night. They also let me take off for Florida when I didn't even have my plastic card yet, and the ink on my high-performance endorsement was still wet. It's a hard balance to let people push their boundaries without letting them get in over their heads.

So because it was your first solo, they wanted you to talk to a safety officer or someone like that before you went? Did you tell them that airmets are worthless? :D

I assume that once you have some more experience in the plane they're not as strict?

I'm interested in the policy as the clubs I've been in don't have anything like that. The club I used to be in lost a Cherokee Six about 15 years ago to a VFR pilot scud running into the Appalachians at night. They also let me take off for Florida when I didn't even have my plastic card yet, and the ink on my high-performance endorsement was still wet. It's a hard balance to let people push their boundaries without letting them get in over their heads.
It was a flight school+rental outfit, not my DPA std non-equity club. But yeah I wasn’t going to push hard based on the weather data I had and they were leaning hard against the flight. Similar to the PWK outfit for RR last year. When I came for my evening flight they had me sign a bunch of liability stuff. They have other rules like night flights must be conducted under IFR, etc.

@kaiser thats interesting.
I learned to fly at Howell New Lenox airport, 1C2, about 10 miles east of JOT (I can look at a sectional and measure it but directionally correct). It's a subdivision now.

They wouldn't rent their planes at night solo unless you had an IR and we're on an instrument flight plan.

For my PPL I did 3 hrs with an instructor and that's it. Even after PPL they wouldn't rent at night. Their one IR Cherokee was $10/hr more too (had to take that at night - although all the planes were equipped for night).

No student solo over 10knots 8knots cross. They made me a very cautious and sheltered Pilot.

I got my PPL and didn't fly at night until renting from a personal owner at PWK in 2001. Renting from PWK (Priester Aviation and then Airway Flight Services before the private owner) was shockingly liberating! So much so I was afraid to go. After renting from a place that reviewed wx with me and was involved in my go/no go decision even as a PPL with 100 hrs, this "here is the key, see ya in a bit" approach scared me!

And having my own key with the private owners plane. Wow.
Different.

I know I’m off cycle, but I’m headed to Bessie’s tomorrow AM for some breakfast. I’m flying a new club member who’s a PPL student that we’ve rescued - trying to motivate him to continue training.

I know I’m off cycle, but I’m headed to Bessie’s tomorrow AM for some breakfast. I’m flying a new club member who’s a PPL student that we’ve rescued - trying to motivate him to continue training.
If you need more hours feel free to come pick me up.

If you need more hours feel free to come pick me up.
I would be happy to. But you all have something called MIFG in your TAF and my decoder ring is telling me that’s super sketchy.

Even better, you have a restaurant out there?

I would be happy to. But you all have something called MIFG in your TAF and my decoder ring is telling me that’s super sketchy.

Even better, you have a restaurant out there?
We can get to lots of restaurants in my car.

MIFG in your TAF
Not gonna lie... had to look that one up.

I'd join you, but I screwed around & played airplanes all day today, so tomorrow I'll be furiously writing checks to get the correct amount of expenses in 2022.

I’d love to join too, but I have a ton of audio to edit this weekend for future podcast episodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back