Midwest meetup

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Since I haven't met a few folks from around here (David, Marty, Stan) or any of the new r.a.p people in the area, I propose a fly-in!

Who? You! (The above-mentioned folks, Jay, Jim, and anyone else new to the board in the WI/IL/IA/surrounding states!)
When? This Saturday! Lunch, dinner, whatever works best for people!
Where? You tell me! Sheboygan and Schaumburg have great restaurants, but I'm sure there's plenty that I haven't been to yet.
Why? Because we like to burn dead dinosaurs to lift us into the sky! And, because I want to meet some more people in person.

So, where do you folks want to go, and do you want to do lunch or dinner?

If I can get a plane I'll go anywhere within 150 nm of chicagoland.

What's in Sheboygan? I'm always looking for new places to fly.

If I can get a plane I'll go anywhere within 150 nm of chicagoland.

What's in Sheboygan? I'm always looking for new places to fly.
A really nice restaurant at the airport. Burrows Aviation opened it about a year or so ago. Good homemade food, nice setting cheap gas.

Or maybe Kent was referring to the Kholler Spa and he was thinking PoA Spa day. You get our head-set hair fixed, pedicures, massage, facials, etc. ;)

I'm afraid that after 3 round trips back and forth across the pond between WI and MI, I'm going to have to put my nose back to the grind stone and my rear end back to work for a couple weeks.

I also need to keep my flying schedule open should the Iowa River invade Jay's Inn and they need help cleaning up any flood damage.

Great idea though... Lake Geneva, Janesville, Lone Rock, Madison, Baraboo/Dells, and Prairie Du Chein are also options.

Great idea though... Lake Geneva, Janesville, Lone Rock, Madison, Baraboo/Dells, and Prairie Du Chein are also options.

Madison has a nice little restaurant in the FBO called the Jet Room, but it closes at 2 p.m. Everyone could enjoy a nice breakfast or lunch. That would be a more central location than Sheboygan. However -- someone would have to take poor Kent around the pattern because he wouldn't have anywhere to go! ;)

Madison has a nice little restaurant in the FBO called the Jet Room, but it closes at 2 p.m. Everyone could enjoy a nice breakfast or lunch. That would be a more central location than Sheboygan. However -- someone would have to take poor Kent around the pattern because he wouldn't have anywhere to go! ;)
Perhaps he could get up at Oh-dark-thirty, fly to Clintonville, pick you up and come back?

I am sure that lunch is on everyone's mind. With my work going until 3 pm, I would not be available for lunch. I would like to see everyone at dinner (5pm?), if that is doable. It will be dark pretty late on Saturday. It is the longest day of the year, yes?
ApacheBob

Well we've got a club flyout to OSH Saturday evening, so if anyone wants to go there it would be great! (Presuming that the flooding has receded by then! :yes:) Sunday morning Leslie has a 99's meeting she cannot miss.

Since I haven't met a few folks from around here (David, Marty, Stan) or any of the new r.a.p people in the area, I propose a fly-in!

Who? You! (The above-mentioned folks, Jay, Jim, and anyone else new to the board in the WI/IL/IA/surrounding states!)
When? This Saturday! Lunch, dinner, whatever works best for people!
Where? You tell me! Sheboygan and Schaumburg have great restaurants, but I'm sure there's plenty that I haven't been to yet.
Why? Because we like to burn dead dinosaurs to lift us into the sky! And, because I want to meet some more people in person.

So, where do you folks want to go, and do you want to do lunch or dinner?

Love to, Kent -- but we're up to our ass in alligators here, fighting the worst natural disaster in Iowa history.

To see pix of the "Great Flood of 2008" from our perspective, see: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/great_flood_of_2008.htm

I'll be at the Quad City Airshow. http://www.quadcityairshow.com/
I'm on to bring some of our unit's helis out to the airshow for static displays. So I will be "working". If anyone does stop in please say Hi and I'll be glad to show around a Blackhawk.

Good call, Kate. I have instrument lesson #2 at 1400 that I'd like to keep, so a quick hop to MSN (or JVL or whatever) for breakfast or an early lunch would work well. I'll reserve a plane now.

Kent, thanks for this great idea!

Well we've got a club flyout to OSH Saturday evening, so if anyone wants to go there it would be great!

Grant - Is this through A & M that I haven't heard about, or something unrelated? Cuz I may be out a plane then...

I can't make Saturday - one of my partners already has the plane booked (and my wife wants help in the garden!:()

Sunday would be better for me. But I could buzz up to Oshkosh for dinner on Saturday.
Lately though, the weather has snaked my aviation plans on a regular basis. I am crossing my fingers for this weekend.:yes:
ApacheBob

Last edited:
Damn! Just found out I have to go to California Sunday afternoon for meetings Monday & Tuesday.

There goes Sunday!

I don't know if this helps matters or just confuses them further. Big Foot Airfield (7V3) is having a pancake breakfast and fly-in on both Saturday and Sunday (7am-1pm both days). Unfortunately, the earliest I can get the plane on Saturday is 12pm... and Sunday it's booked until 2pm.

Kate, I know that makes your trip a bit longer... but it might be more convenient than Sheboygan for those people flying in from Illinois and/or Iowa.

Just let me know which day I should reserve the plane.

Otherwise, we could head up to the Dells and spend a few hours at Ho Chunk on Saturday night. If things go well, we'll all be able to afford the trip home. If not, we may be stuck there dealing blackjack in exchange for a few gallons of avgas.

Well, it looks as if the only plane available to us will probably be a 172 for Saturday evening.

Waiting on Kent to chime in here as far as Saturday.

But Grant-- I bet I could meet your group at Friar Tuck's on Sunday! :D I've got your number!

I did touch & goes there today with a student and didn't notice any standing water in the city anymore. However, just north of the airport I could see lines on the streets where the water once was. Also, it was very obvious from the air how many people had stuff out by the curbs to throw away. Looked like a lot of large items like couches. Although I never saw the flooding itself, I could still see how devastating it must have been. :(

I can't make it this weekend :(

but my weekends look free the rest of the summer (so far)...

--david

Waiting on Kent to chime in here as far as Saturday.

But Grant-- I bet I could meet your group at Friar Tuck's on Sunday! :D I've got your number!
Definitely call me! Except our group is meeting Saturday! Sunday Leslie's meeting with the 99s.
I did touch & goes there today with a student and didn't notice any standing water in the city anymore. However, just north of the airport I could see lines on the streets where the water once was. Also, it was very obvious from the air how many people had stuff out by the curbs to throw away. Looked like a lot of large items like couches. Although I never saw the flooding itself, I could still see how devastating it must have been. :(

I called my cousin and talked to her daughter in Fond du Lac. Her basement had flooded, but that was about it. Of course, she had her bedroom down there! :( Haven't talked to the rest of the relatives in the area yet.

It clearly is hard to organize a single day when everyone is available. Why not start a monthly thing? Just randomize. Saturday lunch one month. Sunday brunch the next. Not everyone can make every one but over time it works out. Don't make a big deal out of it or it will never happen.

I'm on my way to Minnesota this weekend or I'd join wherever you ended up.

I'm based at PWK. Happy to share a ride when the time comes.

Last edited:
I am not available on June 28. I am going to be a Godfather (again).
That's a real nice horse you got there. It would be a shame if something were to happen to it....:)
ApacheBob

Actually I'll probably be around the HXF/FDL/OSH area for most of this (jun 21/22) weekend. Grant you guys still going to fly up to Osh that saturday????

Actually I'll probably be around the HXF/FDL/OSH area for most of this (jun 21/22) weekend. Grant you guys still going to fly up to Osh that saturday????
That's the plan! We usually leave 1C5 around 5:00.

Or maybe you need a wife!!:D:D

She'll help you with your priorities, reduce the money you have available to waste on those hobbies and help organize your life!:blowingkisses:

(running and ducking!!)

I'm based at PWK. Happy to share a ride when the time comes.

I might be able to do June 28th. Travis I am based at PWK as well if we wanted to share a plane. Are you renting and if so from where?

Back