Midwest Fly In - who's coming

tapioca-wonderful!

ed-fine, i guess. see you next year at 6y9

Well.. It looks like Rachel and I have now been bumped down to "tentative" attendees. I knew the 27/28 dates were familiar for some reason --- my mom's b-day is 28th. My sis is planning a big party for her 50th this year. Depending on when they actually have the party (might be a weekend earlier), I'll either be a no-show or come-and-go attendee for the flyin.

Well, we are officially 'doubtful' for the event. Mom's b-day party will be Friday night, so only way I could make it to the fly-in would be a Saturday come-and-go. We'll see if mom wants us all to spend family time together for her birthday or some junk like that. ;)

Bring Mom.

Well, we are officially 'doubtful' for the event. Mom's b-day party will be Friday night, so only way I could make it to the fly-in would be a Saturday come-and-go. We'll see if mom wants us all to spend family time together for her birthday or some junk like that. ;)

Wish I could make it Tony. As it now turns out, I'll be flying up the 19th and returning the 21st: Oshkosh this time.

Maybe another time.

Best,

Dave

ApacheBob and I are planning coming to the flyin together in my plane. But I have to leave early in afternoon. I hop we can get started a little earlier say about 10 or 11 as I will have to leave at 1 or 2 to get home. I have tickets to a concert that evening in downtown Chicago.

Last edited:
ApacheBob and I are planning coming to the flyin together in my plane. But I have to leave early in afternoon. I hop we can get started a little earlier say about 10 or 11 as I will have to leave at 1 or 2 to get home. I have tickets to a concert that evening in downtown Chicago.
I will bring my sousaphone, just in case!:)
ApacheBob

and scott can bring his banjo and then we'll have a concert!

I can bring my Trombone, and we'll have everyone running away....:hairraise:

Pete

ok heres what ive got now

Greg B and Mark in the Tcraft
Scott M and ApacheBob in 8116B
Jason, Jesse, Tristan in an Archer
Steve and Mary in the IAR
Scott Keyes in 182 or Columbia
Ben Kreager in whatever he can find
Pete in an Archer
James Dean in his Toga
Scott (drizzT) in an Archer with his wife
Barry in his Arrow
Tapioca in something that flies.
Kent/Kate in 271G

plus a few more ground pounders (like me)

looks like it should be a good time! I am going to get final confirmation on the wind tunnel thing this week. Also -

Scott Keyes, Kent, and other overnighters (except Steve). What are you hangar desires? I can check with Haps and see what we can do about getting you inside if you desire. I think that Boone (the airport next door) will have its runway open tomorrow so all the planes from there should be headed back and the hangars emptying out soon.

Look forward to seeing you all! and anyone else who plans to come check in here!

ok heres what ive got now

Greg B and Mark in the Tcraft
Scott M and ApacheBob in 8116B
Jason, Jesse, Tristan in an Archer
Pete in an Archer
James Dean in his Toga
Barry in his Arrow
Tapioca in something that flies.
Kent/Kate in 271G

Looks like I should be able to make it too (Sat). I'm particularly interested in the wind tunnel.

Anyone wanting a ride from the Mpls area send me a PM.

Updated:

Greg B in the Tcraft
Jason, Jesse, Tristan, maybe another in an Archer
Pete in an Archer
James Dean in his Toga
Tapioca in C-150
Kent/Kate in 271G
Lance in Baron
Rick Gleason and a friend in something vintage from Indianola
Bob Olson (Ames local and PoA lurker) will be showing off his Ercoupe
Matt Sawhill will be doing the same with his 140, I think.

I just talked to Haps again and we are all set. We will have hangar space to eat some food in, as far as I know we wont have any wrecked airplanes to look at this year :)

Leah's regatta got cancelled for the weekend so I am planning on hitting up the hangar dance in Boone on Sat. night and then going to Matt Michaels world famous Halloween party later. Everyone is welcome to come along. Costumes not required.

Last edited:
Hopefully I can make it (back) up here at least long enough to share a brat with everyone.

Looks like it should be a great weekend for a fly-in!

Crap, it looks like I won't be able to make it, my friend (and CFI) will be out of town that weekend, so unless there's someone flying over the KC area going in, I'm stuck.

You guys have a great time anyways, someone needs to take lots of pics and video...

see ya next time jav.

you better be there chris...or else :D

Jason, Andy (coworker), Tristan, and I will be arriving Saturday morning in a Cherokee. I believe we are all staying at the Grandstay.

Andy will fit right in since he is a skydiver and has willingly read and enjoyed Stick and Rudder. I told him he may have a shot at some airplane rides.

Last edited:
awesome Jesse, looking forward to seeing you all!

You forgot to add "Hayden" to the list... he's riding w/ me and Kent!

It looks like we'll be IFR most of the way but the weather is supposed to improve over there by you.

Planning to leave tonight last time I checked.

sounds great kate, hopefully we will see you before midnight this time.

I'm officially "out" with family obligations.

No Husky rides from me, but you guys have fun anyway!!

I am now officially out.

Forecast for tomorrow is not great. It is the same as today, what I am concerned about is making it back in as I have to be home tomorrow afternoon. Today I went up to Timmerman and the forecast was 1200OVC. When I left 06C the METAR was 900OVC. As I approached the airport ATIS was reporting 400OVC. The LOC5 approach was the only one to get me low enough and even then it was solid. I caught a glimpse straight down of the airport as I was going missed. There was not a break anywhere in the Milwaukee area.

With the forecast being like that again I might not be able to get into my airport on the way home. To divert is possible but I am also leaving to go out town at oh dark thirty on Sunday so there would be no chance to get the plane home until late next week.

So Sorry! Maybe next year.

bummer you guys, catch ya later.

steve, mary showed up at 5
pete around 7
kent kate around 9 30

time to bake cookies!

Double bummer... Triple bummer! Without Bob there to talk me out of buying an Apache, I might actually do it. :eek:

I am now officially out.

Forecast for tomorrow is not great. It is the same as today, what I am concerned about is making it back in as I have to be home tomorrow afternoon. Today I went up to Timmerman and the forecast was 1200OVC. When I left 06C the METAR was 900OVC. As I approached the airport ATIS was reporting 400OVC. The LOC5 approach was the only one to get me low enough and even then it was solid. I caught a glimpse straight down of the airport as I was going missed. There was not a break anywhere in the Milwaukee area.

With the forecast being like that again I might not be able to get into my airport on the way home. To divert is possible but I am also leaving to go out town at oh dark thirty on Sunday so there would be no chance to get the plane home until late next week.

So Sorry! Maybe next year.

scott, have you checked out the TAFs for today? its never too late to change your mind :)

scott, have you checked out the TAFs for today? its never too late to change your mind :)
It is looking pretty good now. But that is the risk. Had I flown the WX gods probably would have made the wx go bad.

I had to make a call and I made it last night.

I really wanted to go. Had I not had these tickets for a concert tonight I probably would have gone to Ames.

sorry to miss everyone who couldnt make it. we ended up with about 25 folks at the FBO for a grilled lunch courtesy of me and Matt Sawhill. We got a GREAT tour of the ISU Wind Tunnel facilities by my friend Brad Bodensteiner. Then back to the airport, more bantering, Matt Sawhill's glider was derigged for storage for the season and Pete, Matt Teller, and I put together my glider (hoping for good thermals tomorrow). Some flying took place with some photo shooting between a Cherokee 180 and a 182, Steve gave a ride in the IAR, and Matt Sawhill got to try his hand at flying Lance's Baron, a slight difference from the C-140. Then tours and nice chat with a Gulfstream 2 and its pilot. Now getting ready to go dancing in Boone and out to Matt Michaels for his Halloween Party. Fun time!

Back