Middle East Respiratory Syndrome virus is here April 2014

Yawn, how many of these have we had?

Yes, and the WHO tries to scare the hell out of everyone each time.

They're going to be sorry they cried wolf if there ever actually is something to worry about with one of these.

This one supposedly came from camels and has been found in a bat. Hopefully it will die out just like SARS did.

Yes, and the WHO tries to scare the hell out of everyone each time.

They're going to be sorry they cried wolf if there ever actually is something to worry about with one of these.

Or maybe they're doing their job and that's what has prevented one or more of these "scares" from becoming the big one. Educating the public and health care providers in particular to be in alert for certain symptoms of a possible epidemic is exactly what they are supposed to do. If MERS never infects another American I'd consider that a success, not a false alarm. Or you think it should be ignored until it's spread too far to stop?

Alert hospitals, sure. Trying to hype it up to the public is counter productive though unless it gets bad.

When Captain Trips does arrive it won't matter - we will not have the time to be worried about it . .. .

Actually, as I read the article, I think it's the media hyping this up for ratings. The CDC quotes are pretty dry and factual.

Back