Mid time engine but overhauled long ago.

Skylark23

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skylark
I was looking at an airplane with a friend the engine had an O-360 with only 600 hours SMOH but it was last overhauled in the 80s. The engine runs smooth, good compression, and the owner had the crank borescoped a couple years ago. The engine maybe 300 hours in the last 3 years. Should I assume I need to overhaul or replace it right away? Are old overhauls generally OK to fly?

Good compressions? What about the accessories? That’s what I’d be most interested in if the compressions are good. I’d go fly!

300 hours in the last 3 years
Being run 300 hours in the most recent 3 years along with good compression would go a long way towards easing my mind. I wouldn’t put money on it making TBO, but I would be pleasantly surprised if it did, or even close.

If it made it 300 hours in the last few years it is probably okay. But any engine is a gamble, some more than others. Without knowing anything other than what is communicated here, I'd categorize the risk for needing an overhaul soon as moderate.

Good compressions? What about the accessories? That’s what I’d be most interested in if the compressions are good. I’d go fly!
I understand compressions were great but haven't seen the numbers yet and accessories seem to have been maintained or upgraded.

If it made it 300 hours in the last few years it is probably okay. But any engine is a gamble, some more than others. Without knowing anything other than what is communicated here, I'd categorize the risk for needing an overhaul soon as moderate.
We have a call into the mechanic to talk to him.

We got a quote for an overhaul for $39k and 12 month lead time for new cylinders. That downtime scares me.

Last edited:
A boroscope a few years ago tells you nothing today. So re-do it and include the cam as well. Last o/h of the carb, last rebuilt of the mags and condition of the risers are those items I would look for after 40 years in service.

Are there a series or recent oil analysis reports you can look at? If the 300 hours are recent, it seems like whatever might happen, would already happened.

It wouldn't scare me but I'd dig a little

So; the first time I met the Cherokee 140 it was lifted high on jacks.

The reason was so when ( not IF) the nearby river flooded!

And it had not flown in 20+ years. Good start?

We pulled all cylinders and accessories and found no rust.

We will be doing the mag 500 Hour shortly as that’s how much it’s flown in

the last 10 years. You can get lucky sometimes!

Back