Mid air near Tacoma

The headline in the elevator (Captive networks) here at work reads "Two planes crash; No one dies":dunno:

I was flying IFR in this area until about 11:30. Collision at 12:30. Marginal VFR over the bay, but possible to fly through around the patchy clouds. This is under a Class B shelf, so restricted a bit in where you can go for clear air. It may have concentrated the aircraft in the available tight space, with limited visibility.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_wa_mid_air_collision.html

"Margaret Ferrell told KOMO 4 News she feared the situation could have been much worse"

Gee Ya Think?

"They lost some property. We can always replace property"

Amen to that!

Dang the are sure LUCKY. I know what they will be doing this Thanksgiving!

Just amazing how well this turned out: the 172 was still somewhat controllable, he put it in the water without serious injury, and he and his 71-year-old mother (!) got out and stayed alive until they were fished out... whew!!

Reminds me how easy it is to forget to scan that "back corner" often, but so very important... most midairs happen this way.

Just amazing how well this turned out: the 172 was still somewhat controllable, he put it in the water without serious injury, and he and his 71-year-old mother (!) got out and stayed alive until they were fished out... whew!!

Reminds me how easy it is to forget to scan that "back corner" often, but so very important... most midairs happen this way.
Most of the initial news called the plane that sank a Cessna 172, but not all. This is one report:

"The pilot of the single-engine American Champion that ditched in Commencement Bay flew out of a downward spiral and made a relatively soft landing on the water, Tacoma Police Detective Thomas Williams said.
"The pilot did good. No one appears to be really hurt. They lost some property. We can always replace property," Williams said.
The other plane, a single-engine Cessna 182, landed at Thun Field in Puyallup, about 10 miles southeast of Tacoma, with damage to the housing of one of its landing gears, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Allen Kenitzer said."

Another report called it a Citabria. Cessna is common and Citabria is not. I am thinking the Cessna reports were wrong, other than for the one that landed at Thun.

Most of the initial news called the plane that sank a Cessna 172, but not all. [snip] Another report called it a Citabria. Cessna is common and Citabria is not. I am thinking the Cessna reports were wrong, other than for the one that landed at Thun.
The straight-tail C-182 landed at Thun; the preliminary FAA report says that the airplane that went into the bay was a 7GCBC. That airplane was N707BS, which until a couple of years ago was owned by author Barry Schiff.

Back