Mid 70's 172 with > 20,000 TT... What would you look for?

Pedals2Paddles

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Pedals2Paddles
If you were walking up to a mid 70's 172 with over 20,000 total time, what would you look for? Background you know going in is that it has always been hangared, meticulously maintained, and regularly flown. In other words, it doesn't look like a derelict ship and has logs to back it up. That's all. Things I can think of to look at are as follows. Looking for more advice. Airframe specific, not engine. Thanks!

- Rivets and fasteners that are loose, missing, or with stress cracks.
- Control surface play and alignment.
- Corrosion, but where should you look?
- Engine mounts for cracks
- Other welds, but where?
- Cables and pulleys

Man..that's a lot of hours. Unless they were practically giving it to me I think I'd move on..but that's just me :)

20,000 hours, i would pay its weight in scrap. there's plenty of airplanes in the market I would continue looking.

While I respect that you wouldn't, that isn't helping.

Another airplane. No matter how well maintained, this was probably used as a trainer or other high stress use. With hours this high you're now worrying about metal fatigue, etc.

One thing for sure......that it has had the Cessna single engine 10,000 hr continued airworthiness program applied.....twice. Mostly, it is an eddy current inspection.

Another airplane. No matter how well maintained, this was probably used as a trainer or other high stress use. With hours this high you're now worrying about metal fatigue, etc.
Not a trainer. Survey work, daily, for the last 20 years. Again, this is not helpful.

One thing for sure......that it has had the Cessna single engine 10,000 hr continued airworthiness program applied.....twice. Mostly, it is an eddy current inspection.
Thank you. I would love to read more about this.

When I landed on Saturday the Tach on the 172M I rent said 9999.9 the owner has had it since 1978 he bought it with 1700 hours on it. Engine is a few hundred hours since Penn Yan rebuild and 180 HP at that so all in all a pretty nice plane that has averaged a little over 260 hours a year in its 38 years.

If it were me at double those hours I would begin to get concerned.

Last edited:
Corrosion would be one of the main concerns,you have to look in places not readily visible. Check the tail,inside the wings,at the wing roots. Check the firewall and engine mounts. Good luck.

Will do. Also, it has had corrosion-x treatments it's whole life as well. He said the only corrosion on it is the screw for the wingtip nav lights. But we'll dig for it to make sure.

Airliners regularly go to well over 80-100.000hrs. Many of the 747's still in service are approaching that number. So the hours in themselves are not something to fear, but perhaps more the cycles. You mentioned it had been doing survey work, which adds hours but not landing cycles. That's good. However, this also means it's been flown low and probably been bounced around a lot in the afternoon thermals, so that kind of evens it out a little.

If you can get a good deal on it, and it has little or no corrosion and otherwise no major issues - why not? Probably give you good service for a decent price. Just don't expect to get very much for it when it's time to sell.

Corrosion wouldn't really be more of a concern then a 2500 hr plane for me.

With 20K on the clock, damn!

Heck I'd want to eddy current the whole plane :D

I'd pay close attention to anything that bears a good size load, that hasn't been replaced...yet. Spars, carry throughs, landing gear, gear boxes, all corresponding bolts, full continuity of all flight controls, engine mount, full length of the electrical wires, etc etc.

Also keep in mind this probably has been the saddle for low time CPL pilots for decades on end, I doubt it was high time, highly experienced and trained ATPs putting those 20,000hrs on her.

Is this something you're renting/borrowing or buying?

If you're buying, you're going to be a owner for a LONG, LOONG time, as this will be a tuff one to ever sell.

Last edited:

How? The supplemental inspection program didn't even exist until December 2011.

Plus, it's not even close to a 10,000 hrs inspection at all. It's more like an MSG3 or phase inspection, mostly visual type with eddy current of specific areas, each task having is own hourly/calendar schedule.

I'd be willing to bet these inspections (especially the eddy currents) have NEVER been performed on this airplane.

Page 2A-13-00 "The Supplemental Structural Inspection Program is valid for Model 172 airplanes with less than 30,000 flight hours. Beyond this, continued airworthiness of the airplane can no longer be assured. Retirement of this airframe is recommended when 30,000 flight hours has been accumulated."

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
I can't give much mechanical input, but from a buyer's perspective, I'd have to be getting a great price on that plane. You're smart enough to at least ask, but many potential buyers would dismiss this plane based on the TT hours. In other words, unless you plan to keep this plane forever, you may have a very difficult time selling it.

Not a trainer. Survey work, daily, for the last 20 years. Again, this is not helpful.
s.
Daily survey work is stressful. Usually low altitude, reduced speed, not that great for the engine. As noted in other postings, not only metal fatigue but corrosion.

Please let us know what type of info is helpful to you.

Check for cracks & looseness: aft wing spar attach points. Forward wing spar attach points. Tail horizontal spars, horizontal stab mounts, aft bulkhead. Main gear boxes. Those are the prime areas for cycle stress fatigue.

Check cables for broken strands, especially near pulleys.

Plus the usual 100 hr inspection items of course.

Will do. Also, it has had corrosion-x treatments it's whole life as well. He said the only corrosion on it is the screw for the wingtip nav lights. But we'll dig for it to make sure.

I'd love to see a Cessna that age that has zero corrosion. It might not be bad, but I'm willing to bet when you do a pre-buy you'll find something.

20k hours isn't the end of the world, but you will want to make sure to get a thorough pre-buy and be prepared to say no. In addition, you may find some minor maintenance items that pop up a bit more than with a lower time frame. I wouldn't be worried about the spar breaking, but all the high time Cessna's I've dealt with seem to spend a little more time in the shop than the low time ones--they just get tired.

Airliners regularly go to well over 80-100.000hrs. Many of the 747's still in service are approaching that number. So the hours in themselves are not something to fear, but perhaps more the cycles. You mentioned it had been doing survey work, which adds hours but not landing cycles. That's good. However, this also means it's been flown low and probably been bounced around a lot in the afternoon thermals, so that kind of evens it out a little.

Comparing a 172 to a 747 is misleading at best... Part 25 airliners are built for defined service lives in hours and cycles. These tend to involve a LOT more flying than a 172 is built for, and involves not just a more robust airframe but a more comprehensive progressive maintenance program.

A) What happened to the Grumman plan?

B ) There are soooooooooooo many 172s for sale, this wouldn't be on my radar.

C) If not(A) and not(B ), I guess like the others, I'd want a very careful look at everything that supports a load. Spars, struts, center stringers, firewall, engine mount, gear truss, gear mounting area, all the tail stuff as well. Lots of locations for stress.

I remember the grounding of the T-34s which were getting long in the tooth and pulling a lot of Gs. I know the 172 doesn't pull that much, but it's still a concern. Really, I would just shop for any other lower time 172, you can't believe that if you buy it, there is any residual value once you are done with it except the component (engine, prop, brakes, etc) value.

I would look for a different airplane. The cessna company did not build it to last 20,000 hours. It's worn out, done!

How? The supplemental inspection program didn't even exist until December 2011.

Plus,
Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

The 10,000 continued airworthiness program has existed for decades. The 2011 program just an extension and clarification of existing programs.

Owners like: http://www.robairrepair.com/ who own 20 Cessna 207's have been accompilshing 10,000 hr eddy current inspections on all of them at least since 1985. I know this because I owned two of them myself. The Alaska Pt.135 cessna 207 average age is 35,000 hours.

Pt. 135 aircraft are required to have these inspections, whether under older inspection programs or current programs.

Pipeline plane? Look for smoking rivets, pull the strut and wing fairings and pull the bolts one at a time and inspect them as well as the bosses for wear or other defects. If that all scopes out good then I would look at doing the eddy current inspection. Oh yeah, don't forget the control cable pulleys, they wear and crack.

If you were walking up to a mid 70's 172 with over 20,000 total time, what would you look for?

Sorry, but I would look for another aircraft.

A 172 doesn't get that many hours doing easy family cross-countries. It has been a trainer, or a pipeline patrol aircraft or powerline patrol down low in turbulence, or a police aircraft down low looking for speeders on the interstate. Probably had a tough life, possibly excellent maintenance, but that is just too many hours for me personally.

The only thing I'd be looking for on a 20k skyhawk:

post_free2good_home_01.jpg

fleas included. :D

I would look for a different airplane. The cessna company did not build it to last 20,000 hours. It's worn out, done!

I wouldn't say that.

If this was a rare aircraft I'd entertain the idea of a 20,000hr airframe, but it's a 172.

Go through a rock and you'll probably hit 3 of them at any given airport. There is no good reason to compromise when buying such a plentiful aircraft.

FYI the OP should stick with the Grumman, he'd be way better off.

I'd buy it, and fly the pants off of it, but the logbooks, maintenance and prebuy would have to be 100% perfect, and it must not cost more than $18K.

At that price, it's basically disposable.

I think I know the plane you are looking at. If it's same one the owner and pilot is a ap. he actually had two engines that he would alternate into it. So engine should be lower total time. He also maintained it well other than the paint isn't immaculate. I had considered buying it and made him a offer on it. It's pretty clean for the hours. However it will be fairly hard to resell after flying another few thousand hours. Was thinking it was around 23000 hours now. Maybe even 25000.

The 10,000 continued airworthiness program has existed for decades. The 2011 program just an extension and clarification of existing programs.

Owners like: http://www.robairrepair.com/ who own 20 Cessna 207's have been accompilshing 10,000 hr eddy current inspections on all of them at least since 1985. I know this because I owned two of them myself. The Alaska Pt.135 cessna 207 average age is 35,000 hours.

Pt. 135 aircraft are required to have these inspections, whether under older inspection programs or current programs.

The inspection program you posted was released in 2011, and says initial compliance is due by June 2014, how could it have been completed twice?

This inspection program also requires compliance with selected service bulletins, usually structural ones.

Show me where this 10,000 hour program is written, and applicable to all 172s. This airplane could very well have been operated under part 91, not requiring anything other part 43 appendix D annuals and airworthiness directives. There is no AD describing anything like what you are saying. Nothing in maintenance manual prior to the release of the SIDS in 2011.

Last edited:
I'd buy it, and fly the pants off of it, but the logbooks, maintenance and prebuy would have to be 100% perfect, and it must not cost more than $18K.

At that price, it's basically disposable.

This is exactly what we're looking at actually. We cannot afford a $25,000 - $35,000 aircraft. This is to finish out our primary training, and give us something to fly around for weekend travel and dinner flights. We're not expecting to resell it and get back what we paid.

Pipeline plane? Look for smoking rivets, pull the strut and wing fairings and pull the bolts one at a time and inspect them as well as the bosses for wear or other defects. If that all scopes out good then I would look at doing the eddy current inspection. Oh yeah, don't forget the control cable pulleys, they wear and crack.

I should have been more specific. Survey use over open water. Not over land, pipelines, etc. So I would imagine remarkably less bumping and thumping? Not saying that means it doesn't warrant inspection though.

I'd love to see a Cessna that age that has zero corrosion. It might not be bad, but I'm willing to bet when you do a pre-buy you'll find something.

20k hours isn't the end of the world, but you will want to make sure to get a thorough pre-buy and be prepared to say no. In addition, you may find some minor maintenance items that pop up a bit more than with a lower time frame. I wouldn't be worried about the spar breaking, but all the high time Cessna's I've dealt with seem to spend a little more time in the shop than the low time ones--they just get tired.

I'm sure there is some. As there would be on any aircraft. Excessive and unreasonable would be what I'm looking. I get the impression from speaking with the owner that there will actually be less than usual. Also, I don't think total time would be a corrosion factor. It doesn't corrode faster because you fly more. If anything, that should reduce corrosion since it is constantly blown out?

I wouldn't say that.

If this was a rare aircraft I'd entertain the idea of a 20,000hr airframe, but it's a 172.

Go through a rock and you'll probably hit 3 of them at any given airport. There is no good reason to compromise when buying such a plentiful aircraft.

FYI the OP should stick with the Grumman, he'd be way better off.

Yes, there are lots of 172's out there. And all outside our price range. Those within our price range are MX disasters that will cost us anything we save. This appears so far to be an immaculately maintained aircraft, which if not for the high total time, would be a $28-30k purchase. If we can do our diligence on the MX, verify the airframe is solid, we're winning.

The Grumman we were looking at a few weeks ago as a trade didn't work out. And upon deeper thought, we decided that it wouldn't be a good move. We have minimal useful load on our 150. Barely enough fuel to loop the pattern a few times for the heavier of us three. And that gives us minimal practical use after primary training. Swapping it for a Yankee wouldn't change any of that. The only thing that Yankee trade would have given us is a lower time engine with a fresh annual.

We talked about it for a long time. What do we need now, what do we want later, and define "later". We decided if we're going to change planes, we want it to be in a similar type, with better performance and better useful load. We want a plane that we can keep and use practically for the next 3-7 or more years. Our 150 or a Yankee flying around teetering over the edge of gross weight with 1.5 people in it is not that plane. A 172 fits the bill perfectly and we all have experience in one already now.

And we decided that the only way it will be practical is if we can take it home for < $20,000. That greatly limits the the field of available 172s. The ones that are in that price range are often have questionable or objectionable MX issues. What we have here is a 172 in the price range, well equipped, with what appears to be immaculate MX. If we can verify it is in good airworthy condition, and not about to fold in half, we win.

Last edited:

Found this interesting which almost supports your position:

There is a book (D5133-13) titled "Continued Airworthiness Program - Model 100 Series Piston Single Engine Aircraft". Although the title says 100 Series the manual only lists effectivity through the 172Q and 182R.

http://www.askbob.aero/content/cessna-structural-inspection

The SIDS were issued in 2011 and the manual mentioned was superseded.

https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=38396

I highly doubt any type of eddy current inspection or the Supplemental Inspection Document (SID) inspections have taken place on the aircraft in question.

To the OP, a quick view of the logbooks should easily verify what kind of inspections have been done. If you see these "I certify this _____ has been inspected in accordance with an 100 hour or annual inspection" and for the last 20 years, you can pretty much assume none of the detailed inspections that exist today have ever accomplished.

Yes, there are lots of 172's out there. And all outside our price range. Those within our price range are MX disasters that will cost us anything we save. This appears so far to be an immaculately maintained aircraft, which if not for the high total time, would be a $28-30k purchase. If we can do our diligence on the MX, verify the airframe is solid, we're winning.

The Grumman we were looking at a few weeks ago as a trade didn't work out. And upon deeper thought, we decided that it wouldn't be a good move. We have minimal useful load on our 150. Barely enough fuel to loop the pattern a few times for the heavier of us three. And that gives us minimal practical use after primary training. Swapping it for a Yankee wouldn't change any of that. The only thing that Yankee trade would have given us is a lower time engine with a fresh annual.

We talked about it for a long time. What do we need now, what do we want later, and define "later". We decided if we're going to change planes, we want it to be in a similar type, with better performance and better useful load. We want a plane that we can keep and use practically for the next 3-7 or more years. Our 150 or a Yankee flying around teetering over the edge of gross weight with 1.5 people in it is not that plane. A 172 fits the bill perfectly and we all have experience in one already now.

And we decided that the only way it will be practical is if we can take it home for < $20,000. That greatly limits the the field of available 172s. The ones that are in that price range are often have questionable or objectionable MX issues. What we have here is a 172 in the price range, well equipped, with what appears to be immaculate MX. If we can verify it is in good airworthy condition, and not about to fold in half, we win.

Pipers are cheaper. Any specific reasons you are avoiding those? Bad knees, disabilities or?

Can't think of any really cheap high winged Cessna-like other than the Aero Commander 100, basically a Cessna 172 clone. (I think the commander is a steel tube truss type fuselage)

Last edited:
Regarding a 172 vs something like a Cherokee 140 or 160, I guess it is mostly preference there. But we also don't want to undo training by changing types. A single door cramped greenhouse. Most of my experience 7 years ago is actually in Warriors. But after flying my CFI's 172, I see why the other two of us prefer the 172. But it is certainly something to keep an eye out for as well.

Never heard of the Aero Command 100, but will check it out. I will look over those other inspection links as well.

.... We're not expecting to resell it and get back what we paid.

....The Grumman we were looking at a few weeks ago as a trade didn't work out. And upon deeper thought, we decided that it wouldn't be a good move. We have minimal useful load on our 150. Barely enough fuel to loop the pattern a few times for the heavier of us three. And that gives us minimal practical use after primary training. Swapping it for a Yankee wouldn't change any of that. The only thing that Yankee trade would have given us is a lower time engine with a fresh annual.

Are you only looking for aircraft in your area or nation wide??

Also not sure how large you are but the Grumman worked great for me and my students, cross countries and all.

There is no reason, if you're smart about it, you can't pick up a solid Grumman or C150 for under 20k, fly it for your ratings, and sell it for at least what you paid for it.

If I was going to buy that 20,000hr 172, shy of it having some crazy nice avionics or a factory new engine with under 500hrs on it, I'd be looking to pay under 10k. That's also factoring in me having a bad judgment kinda week or excessive drinking.

We weight 170, 210, and 260. Having only 30-45 minutes of fuel + reserve is not practical for anything. We have a 150 now that we're using for training. So we're looking to do like you say... sell it for what we paid and upgrade.

Regarding distance, it needs to be within 4-5 hours drive or it's not practical.

Last edited:
I'd look for a 50-60s 172. They are in your price range and are nicer then the newer ones.

We weight 170, 210, and 260. Having only 30-45 minutes of fuel + reserve is not practical for anything. We have a 150 now that we're using for training. So we're looking to do like you say... sell it for what we paid and upgrade.

Your partnership example is the exact reason why the AOPA "reimagined" program seems like a nonstarter to me using the 150/152 series. Simply not enough capability. The fixed costs of a decent 150/152 are going to be nearly identical to a decent 172. The 150/152 can save about $10 hr in gas but that's it.

We weight 170, 210, and 260. Having only 30-45 minutes of fuel + reserve is not practical for anything. We have a 150 now that we're using for training.
Most of read and understood that the first time you covered it! :wink2:

Back