Microsoft Ending Support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by RJM62, Oct 17, 2019.

1. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
  2. kayoh190

kayoh190 En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    To be fair, Microsoft let everyone know about this a long time ago. Not saying I'm happy about it though! :)

Kicking and screaming, I finally upgraded my Windows 7 machine a couple months back. Windows 10 isn't as bad as I thought it might be. Stupid thing updates all the damned time, but it's not noticeably less responsive than 7 was, which was my main concern. All in all, I'm not finding myself missing 7 nearly as much as I had imagined I would.

3. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    We have one department still using Win 7 for “reasons”. So we have two months to convince them their reasons aren’t going to matter anymore... and buy them hardware that Win10 will actually run on without choking. LOL.

There’s a couple servers on 2008R2 also. I reminded the folks who are thinking about putting money into networking gear instead of server upgrades before EOY that even though the correct business plan is the network, the software vendor may have made a different decision for them already.

Gotta love planned obsolescence. Keeps me in a job. Ha.

My iPad Mini 2 that works just fine was unceremoniously dumped by Apple for iOS 13 also. I have a Mini 2 and Mini 4 and they run about the same speed with the 4 upgraded, which tells you something about how much bloat is in 13.

Bloat bloat bloat. Yay software “engineers”. Y’all made it fatter and less efficient, always the sign of great “engineering”.

LOL. Job security.

4. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Interesting trend:

Two of our high end engineering folks have ditched Mac for Linux desktops in the last three months. They wanted horsepower and Apple machines weren’t cutting it for the price point anymore. One of them also wanted four 4K monitors. Two are vertical for coding and command line work. It’s a gorgeous setup for that.

A couple on Win10 are tired of the (required) monthly security latching and feature releases and are leaning this way also.

Guess it’s a good thing we always made sure to spec VPN and other products that would support Linux... knowing we had a pretty geeky “customer” base in our Dev company side of things.

5. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    So let me ask some of the more IT saavy POAers here. For a home PC, is it worth upgrading?

6. kgruber

kgruber En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skywag
    I still have one PC running XP, but it is dedicated to a scanner and has no internet connection.

7. cowman

cowman En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cowman
    I tend to think that if you're a home user and you're behind a NAT router(the normal kind everyone has) and you don't do stupid things like open unknown attachments, install software from iffy sources, etc, etc you don't have a lot to worry about. The router by it's self breaks most of the likely threats so most of what you really need to worry about beyond that is stuff that can be pretty well avoided by just practicing safe computing. Just use something other than IE/Edge and keep the browser updated.

8. geneb846

geneb846 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gene
    My cisco sonet system still uses java 1.5 and won't talk to windows greater than win7. Cisco support ended this year, but we haven't time or desire to change it out. Cisco didn't think to put any limit on any linux version, so I can use current linux to talk to it.

denverpilot likes this.
  9. SToL

SToL Ejection Handle Pulled

Bush Alaska, Colorado Rockies & Valley of the Sun
    Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL
    Did you remind them that we're entering 2020?

10. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    I'm doing the same with one of my PCs because I have legacy games that don't work on newer operating systems. Recently I needed to switch to a cloned hard disk because of a suspected problem, and it triggered an activation notice. I ended up having to do it over the Internet because trying to do it over the phone didn't work. So with fear and trepidation I connected it to the Internet for long enough to reactivate it. :eek2:

kgruber likes this.
  11. weirdjim

weirdjim En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    weirdjim
    I'm going to keep using 7/64 until they pry it from my cold dead hard drive. HOWEVER, I am considering installing something like Malwarebytes pay-for version to keep the creepy-crawlies out of my machine. Anybody got something other than MWB that they think is better? It is $60 a year for the three machines we have here.

Yes, I use all of the machines for internet and with the kids I teach and who send me their term papers and such from strange sites, I would prefer to have something that scans inbound stuff even if it slows the machine down a bit.

Jim

12. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    whoo-hoo just learned my server is 2012, good for another 4 years. Wonder what $ that saved me?