Micro$oft almost got my money...

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I was planning on buying Windows Vista when it was released. I thought it would save me some trouble if I just bought a legit version and didn't have to worry about the pirated versions breaking over the years.

Well. Take a look at this:
"TechWeb has posted an article regarding Vista's new license and how it allows you to only move it to another device once. How will this work for people who build their PCs? I have no intention of purchasing a new license every time I swap out motherboards. 'The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device becomes the "licensed device," reads the license for Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, and Business. In other words, once a retail copy of Vista is installed on a PC, it can be moved to another system only once. ... Elsewhere in the license, Microsoft forbids users from installing Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium in a virtual machine. "You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system," the legal language reads. Vista Ultimate and Vista Business, however, can be installed within a VM.'"

http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/10/12/2240214.shtml

There is *NO* way I am going to buy Windows Vista if I only can use it on two computers over the life of the license. I'm not asking to run it on 40 computers at once. But if I install it on my current computer and decide in six months that I want to upgrade. I stick a different motherboard, maybe a new graphics card in it. Microsoft considers this a new system. Six months later I decide that I need a new graphics card, maybe a faster CPU. Stick this in and this is now a *new system*. Now I can never upgrade my computer again unless I buy another copy of Windows? They already own the market. They are not going broke. They have plenty of competiors stepping up. So what do they do? Come out with some rediculious license to **** everyone off. Smart.

Last edited:
Microsoft considers the motherboard to be the system so you would be able to install Vista on your system and then at a later date you could upgrade the motherboard only once. You could upgrade the other parts of the system all you want. If you did want to upgrade a third time I'll bet if you called them and cried a story they would still let you activate it again. I did this when my laptop died and I put the HD from the laptop into my desk top (I did not want to go through the trouble of taking the data off and puting it on the desktop while the laptop was in for repair. I called Microsoft and cried a story about how I would not be able to retrive my banking info kept on the HD without actavating it for the desktop and I promised I woud put it back in the laptop when it was returned (and I did). They gave me an activation code for it. when XP is sold with an OEM system it is not supposed to be transfered at all but they did anyway.

JRitt said:
Microsoft considers the motherboard to be the system so you would be able to install Vista on your system and then at a later date you could upgrade the motherboard only once.

Which is stupid.

Windows XP has been out for what? Almost six years? During those six years I have upgraded my computer several times with several different motherboards etc.

I think it's fair to say that you can't use the software on more than one PC at the same time. But it's a joke to say that the license is system specific.

Yes. Most of the time you can call up the Microsoft Activation people in India that hardly speak english. As long as you answer "no" to every one of their questions they'll give you an activation code. But it was not the policy of previous Microsoft Windows (FULL VERSION, NOT OEM) to be system specific like that. Now it might take a little more explaining to do.

I just can't beleive they would get this greedy. How many of you have old operating systems laying around? Guess what. In the future this won't be an option because I doubt you hold onto the old systems. Not only that what happens when Microsoft's activation servers are down..Or who knows what else? I've had that happen--and it does suck.

End rant.

The way the Licensing reads
"Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the "licensed device."
You could assign it to the Harddrive. They are so large today I think as long as mine does not fail it will last 3-5yrs before I need to upgrade and even then you could leave the original harddrive in the computer to boot from and just add another. You could change the MB, CPU, or the Videocards all you want and never have to worry about the license.

jangell said:
There is *NO* way I am going to buy Windows Vista if I only can use it on two computers over the life of the license. I'm not asking to run it on 40 computers at once. But if I install it on my current computer and decide in six months that I want to upgrade. I stick a different motherboard, maybe a new graphics card in it. Microsoft considers this a new system. Six months later I decide that I need a new graphics card, maybe a faster CPU. Stick this in and this is now a *new system*. Now I can never upgrade my computer again unless I buy another copy of Windows? They already own the market. They are not going broke. They have plenty of competiors stepping up. So what do they do? Come out with some rediculious license to **** everyone off. Smart.

It's only one install less than before. I bought XP, and now have installed it *with* the blessings of Microsoft via a phone call on 9 different installs across 4 computers (one at a time) without paying a dime. I just explain to them that I'm a professional mariner and computers don't last me for crap, I bought an official copy at full retail price because I wanted to be honest, and I often needed to reload due to problems and repairs and believe that I should be entitled to use my copy of their latest software until they have a substantially upgraded product which I will then purchase. They just run my code number, see that it's legal and give me a new install key and say "Thank You for using Microsoft." They've never hasseled me over it or anything.

screw the upgrades ... I'm just as (un)happy with NT4.0 on my desktop as I am with Win2K on my older laptop as I am with XP on the new laptop ...

smigaldi said:
One word. MAC
Except that you may want install a legal copy of Windows on it in a virtual machine. If they stop that then the two words are "No Vista."

Jesse's right.

It's like with DRM: I say, you win. If you don't want me to use your product, I won't.

These arrogant companies that think you HAVE TO AGREE because you HAVE TO USE THEIR PRODUCT are going to eventually find out how wrong they are.

smigaldi said:
One word. MAC

Wonder if this could change the market share for new laptops this christmas from Dell/Gateway/Etc. to MAC? Will be interesting.

-Chris

CJones said:
Wonder if this could change the market share for new laptops this christmas from Dell/Gateway/Etc. to MAC? Will be interesting.

-Chris

Probably won't have any impact at all. The average computer buyer doesn't even read the license agreement, just clicks the necessary buttons to make the installation happen.

BTW, as a stockholder in Microsoft, I want them to maximize profits. It's good for my share price. :D

mikea said:
Except that you may want install a legal copy of Windows on it in a virtual machine. If they stop that then the two words are "No Vista."

Jesse's right.

It's like with DRM: I say, you win. If you don't want me to use your product, I won't.

These arrogant companies that think you HAVE TO AGREE because you HAVE TO USE THEIR PRODUCT are going to eventually find out how wrong they are.

The sheeple will still buy it.

Shoot, we've used "used" Windows OS for a over a decade and have no troubles. Just try the black market and have a big time!

Henning said:
It's only one install less than before. I bought XP, and now have installed it *with* the blessings of Microsoft via a phone call on 9 different installs across 4 computers (one at a time) without paying a dime. I just explain to them that I'm a professional mariner and computers don't last me for crap, I bought an official copy at full retail price because I wanted to be honest, and I often needed to reload due to problems and repairs and believe that I should be entitled to use my copy of their latest software until they have a substantially upgraded product which I will then purchase. They just run my code number, see that it's legal and give me a new install key and say "Thank You for using Microsoft." They've never hasseled me over it or anything.
The old license would allow for this. Yeah you had to call them. But there was nothing in the license saying that you couldn't use it again if the system dies. Therefore they had to give you a code.

Goodluck doing this with Vista. The activation people don't give a ****. They are in India and just follow a script. I have to call them all the time. But their new script for Vista is going to be different. You'll either have to straight up lie and event some story...this may work .. It may not.. Either way it's bull****.

Mike A is right. Run VM ware and put Vista in it. Then you can have it ANYPLACE.

bbchien said:
Mike A is right. Run VM ware and put Vista in it. Then you can have it ANYPLACE.
Vista installs on Virtual Machines are prohibited unless you buy a enterprise copy (think $800+ per copy).

I'm a Microsoft Developer (also now learning Python/PHP/LAMP... hmm, I wonder why?!).

This link to an interesting commentary by Koroush Ghazi was on one of my developer sites:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_licensing_reply.asp

Vista licensing seems to be the topic de jour with angry words about the EULA being greeted with calm reassurance and clarification, which in turn has spawned some seriously angry feedback from the community.

Essentially Microsoft have clarified that a license for Vista will be a license to use the OS on a single machine, and not a license to use the OS on any machine. Only if your machine dies a horrible death will you be able to transfer the license to a new machine. If you upgrade you machine then you need to buy a new license.

Troy Whistman said:
I'm a Microsoft Developer (also now learning Python/PHP/LAMP... hmm, I wonder why?!).

This link to an interesting commentary by Koroush Ghazi was on one of my developer sites:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_licensing_reply.asp

Vista licensing seems to be the topic de jour with angry words about the EULA being greeted with calm reassurance and clarification, which in turn has spawned some seriously angry feedback from the community.

Essentially Microsoft have clarified that a license for Vista will be a license to use the OS on a single machine, and not a license to use the OS on any machine. Only if your machine dies a horrible death will you be able to transfer the license to a new machine. If you upgrade you machine then you need to buy a new license.

Given the EULA is a binding legal document,..

Oh, yeah? Name one court ruling that says so. It's only binding insofar as they have $billions to pay lawyers to wirte letters to threaten to take you you court. Like the RIAA, they live in fear that a case will go far enough to get a ruling from a judge.

Last edited:
I can't figure out why they don't just have the option to "deactivate" Vista over the internet, so it can be "Reactivated" on another system.

My Jepp products are licensed for up to three machines, but if I upgrade or have a crash, I can either deactivate (in the case of an upgrade) on the old system, or call Jepp (in the case of a crash) and they'll deactivate the product on the dead box.

What happens when the product is deactivated - no online or disk-based updates!

MS could do something similar.

In reality, I expect that by the time Vista is released, this policy will change.

TMetzinger said:
I can't figure out why they don't just have the option to "deactivate" Vista over the internet, so it can be "Reactivated" on another system.

What happens when the product is deactivated - no online or disk-based updates!

MS could do something similar.

In reality, I expect that by the time Vista is released, this policy will change.

The word on TWIT is if Vista thinks it's stolen it will only allow browsing the web and that for only 1 hour.

Anybody want an operating system that can turn itself off?

Paul Therot, the windows expert has just reported for the second time he got a false alarm from "Windows Genuine Advantage." This time he nows for a fact the entire bloodline of the copy of XP. It's 100% legit. MS alledgely did originally intend that by Fall those would stop working, too.

I will never have copy of Vista on any system I own.

Back