Micro fiber towels

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
any one use them on your windshield?

I've used the Costco yellow ones... and didn't like the results. They left tiny little bits of microfiber on the windscreen, that glinted in the sun. Distracting. After many washings, less of the little bits.

Last edited:
I have used them for a few years with Plexus. It seems to work well for me.

I got a multi-pack of micro fiber towels from Wal-Mart. I use them along with Plexus on the windscreen of the RV and have had very good results so far.

Yes, please do not tell me they are bad for my plane. I have about as much bad news this week as I can handle. It was bad enough I did not even go flying today, and it was awesome flying weather today, and flying is my therapy.

Oh by the way they seem to do a great job on the plane. I use them for the windows with plexus(expensive but works and no streaks), I use a chamois to dry the plane, and one of those nonabrasive bug sponges with fleet wash for the leading edges, and full wash.

Yep and the 210 plastic cleaner from spruce which is 1/2 the cost of plexus

I use paper towels and Windex on my windows.

I use the micro fibre for almost everything.
They seem to be about as lint free as you can get.

I love the micro fibre towels from Sams. The windshield shines with no lint. But I only use new ones on the plane's plexiglass. I will use them a fewl times, but after I wash them, I find other uses for them.

And GoJo pumice? :wink2:

Nothing but the best! Nah, I'm a microfiber guy with Prist Plexiglas cleaner. Use Aero 600 avionics cleaner and microfiber on any panel displays as well.

Have used 'em. Cheapies leave little bits everywhere.

And it's really obvious there's no standard as to what "micro-fiber" actually means. Pick up a microfiber camera lens cleaning cloth and one of those yellows from Costco or Harbor Freight and notice they're not even the same thing. Now compare to a "micro-fiber" couch.

As best as I can tell, it means nothing but "softer cloth that will hold dirt if you're not careful and scratch the crap out of something".

No big deal if you're not starting off without getting the majority of the dirt off with plain ol' H2O.

I don't. I use only Dawn, water and my hands.

We have an industrial supplier that we get microfiber towels from. The ultra soft ones are used for the windows (and my sunglasses) with helicopter bubble plexiglass foam cleaner. We also use microfiber towels combined with Fleetwash to clean the remainder of the exterior of the aircraft.

Chamois. Nuthin but chamios touches the plexi. Soft, absorbent, washable and fairly cheap at wally world. Plus, you can strain fuel with it.

I use the microfibers to wash/wax the airplane, but as others pointed out, they don't do as well on the windshields. Costco sells a bag of white "glass cloths" which work better for that.

As best as I can tell, it means nothing but "softer cloth that will hold dirt if you're not careful and scratch the crap out of something"

Although I'm a big fan and use them for practically everything denverpilot makes a valid point. They are like velcro around anything with a sharp jagged edge and if you want to use them on plexi be very careful.

My take on microfiber towels and this thread.

Any rag with a rock in it is going to leave a scratch, it's just a matter of how big the rock is, and how deep the scratch will be.

I buy the microfiber towels from Cosco, but wash and dry them before I use them on a windscreen or my Jeeps clear coat finish. Simply because I found they are much softer after washing and leave a better looking finish.

My new glass a paint deserve the best.

Attachments

• DSCN3488.JPG
    DSCN3488.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN3489.JPG
    DSCN3489.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN3620.JPG
    DSCN3620.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 28
Back