Michigan People (or those who are up for Xc....)

Sometimes you just gotta go with Plan Z. Sorry you weren't able to make PHN, but summer is here (in theory anyway) and there will be lotsa chances in the coming weekends. Next Sunday it's JXN, then a choice between OED, AMN, and HTL IIRC (too many letters here! :) I hope to be able to make at least one of those somehow.

The Airshow was great. I only caught the last 45 minutes of Saturday's show and that from a distance, but the weather was perfect and it was the Blue Angels... what more need I say? I didn't feel up to fighting traffic and crowds so I bicycled to the Bridgeview bridge on the south side of the base, which turned out to be a really excellent place from which to watch the show.

Liz

Hey Lance,

A group of us from 6D6(Greenville) are headed up to Lake City(Y91) on Sunday May 29th for their Fly-In Pancake Breakfast. It runs from 7:00am to 11:00am. Only 40nm from KACB(Bellaire). Home Acres Sky Ranch's GRASS runways 9/27-3830' x 160' & 18/36-2550' x 150'. Both in very good condition. How does your Baron like grass? My Commander loves it. Come on down!
See ya,
Gary

Gary, you're out of Greenville? You didn't happen to go to Hillsdale Saturday, did you?

T Bone,
Nope, never been to Hillsdale. Was in Benton Harbor for my cousins wedding on the 14th.
Gary

Gary Miesch said:
Hey Lance,

A group of us from 6D6(Greenville) are headed up to Lake City(Y91) on Sunday May 29th for their Fly-In Pancake Breakfast. It runs from 7:00am to 11:00am. Only 40nm from KACB(Bellaire). Home Acres Sky Ranch's GRASS runways 9/27-3830' x 160' & 18/36-2550' x 150'. Both in very good condition. How does your Baron like grass? My Commander loves it. Come on down!
See ya,
Gary
I'd forgotten about that one... actually it looks like more fun than JXN, more challenging too. Unfortunately, at this point the whole weekend looks like a total washout. :(

Liz

Gary Miesch said:
T Bone,
Nope, never been to Hillsdale. Was in Benton Harbor for my cousins wedding on the 14th.
Gary

Well, it was a longshot, but there was a Commander coming in to Hillsdale at the same time as us on Saturday (Hillsdale, to make Jackson for lunch a Xc) so I thought it'd be worth a shot.... :redface:

T Bone,

Did you get the Commanders N# or see what color it was. I know most of the Michigan Commander owners. Lance Cuffle is hangared at JXN. Its a 112 model-White w/tu-tone blue striping.

Gary

Gary Miesch said:
T Bone,

Did you get the Commanders N# or see what color it was. I know most of the Michigan Commander owners. Lance Cuffle is hangared at JXN. Its a 112 model-White w/tu-tone blue striping.

Gary

Sorry, nope. I don't recall the N Number, and never looked at him on the ground (I landed, back taxied and took off....) I saw him only breifly from about 3 miles out as he crossed midfield (from the North) while I was setting up a teardrop turn to enter on a 45 from the South...... Was mostly white though (yeah, that ougtta be a BIG help :D ). We had almost zero wind, so when he announced 10 miles North, I called "Commander calling Hillsdale, which runway are you going to use?" so we'd have no conflict. I ended up slowing, descending and heading for the South side early, just to avoid him anyway....

Gary Miesch said:
Hey Lance,

See ya,
Gary

Lake City is a pretty good fly in; pancakes, flat eggs and ham. And on a good day there are quite a few high performance retracts that fly in. On a good day there are quite a few of all kinds of planes.

I'm hoping to be there.

Barb

Gary Miesch said:
Hey Lance,

See ya,
Gary

I'll try real hard to make it and the prospects look pretty good. Grass isn't a problem and the E/W runway looks plenty long as long as the surface isn't very soft. 5000+ lbs on three small tires can sink in hot asphalt.

Edit: Can anyone bring Chris from the GRR/AZO area?

Last edited:
T Bone said:
Plan Z... yep, went with plan Z.....

Too bad I didn't write your number down someplace... I was thinking of calling when I saw your post that you would be driving, I had an open seat and I love having someone to fly with... I even got a nice view of two F-16 on my way back to Troy from PHN as they split around me coming out of the MOA going over to the air show... That was much cooler then seeing them from the ground.

I was also at the air show in the afternoon. I was directly across from the tower, I've got a shot of the angles going over my head. Used a whole roll of film on them. It was too cool... and wet, but very uncrowded.

T Bone said:
Maybe for the next one, we should figure out a way (yeah, like showing up in my case...) for everyone to meet up. I know, POA tee shirts?

Duckys seem to work well for the Babes when we remember them... how about a hat? When will the PoA Gear be available????

Missa

Missa said:
I even got a nice view of two F-16 on my way back to Troy from PHN as they split around me coming out of the MOA going over to the air show... That was much cooler then seeing them from the ground.

They didn't fire off any flares, did they? :D Seeing them from the air would be cool.... as long as it wasn't for that reason!

Duckys seem to work well for the Babes when we remember them... how about a hat? When will the PoA Gear be available????

Um.... yeah, okay. Duckies..... Lol... have you gone "quackers"? Yer not gonna get a bunch of guys to walk around carrying rubber duckies...:rofl: (sort goes with "here, hold my purse"). Sorry, just being funny. Okay, duckies for the ladies. How about toy trucks for the boys? Kidding again, I was thinking more like POA people meet at this point, or POA people all wear your AOPA hats, or.... I don't know. Hmm... POA tee shirts (or hats! :yes: but no button in the center please) actually would do the trick, but I don't think they're available yet.

So, where's everyone going this weekend? (Monday the Yankee Air Force is doing their Memorial Day pancake breakfast, NE corner of the field, near (or on?) the site of the old museum hangar(click here). Look for the tail of the B-52, kinda hard to miss.

Anyone up for the Blues Festival in Jackson next weekend?

lancefisher said:
I'll try real hard to make it and the prospects look pretty good. Grass isn't a problem and the E/W runway looks plenty long as long as the surface isn't very soft. 5000+ lbs on three small tires can sink in hot asphalt.

Edit: Can anyone bring Chris from the GRR/AZO area?

I'll see if I can make it...

YO Iceman....you can make it to 9D9 via car right?

N2212R said:
I'll see if I can make it...

YO Iceman....you can make it to 9D9 via car right?

I think my car can make it that far :).

Sent you a pm!!!

Lance, Ed & Chris,

Great to see you guys again. Been a while. Chris, a pleasure meeting you and your girlfriend(I'm sorry, I forgot her name). I usually remember the good looking womens names and forget their boyfriends. My apologies.

Wished we could of spent more time visiting. I was pressed for time and couldn't locate you guys before I had to depart. Must have been 500-800 people there. Nicely run event. Great breakfast and awesome donuts.

As I was walking to my airplane, I saw a guy in a vintage Stinson run over a lighted cone. Hit it with the prop(under power) then lodged it under his plane. Ouch!

Lets do it again and I will make a point of better scheduling my time.
Don't forget about the Poker Run on August 6th and the Pancake Breakfast on August 27th to be held at Greenville Municipal(6D6). I'll send you detailed flyers later.

Lance, how long will you be in Bellaire?
See ya,
Gary

What a great day of flying!

I finally connected some faces with the names here on POA. Unfortunately there was not much time to talk with everyone. Rachel and I had fun meeting everyone (Ed, Lance, Barb, and Gary). I can't wait for the next flyin. Here are some pictures from today at lake city.

Back