Michigan People (or those who are up for Xc....)

T Bone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
T Bone
Well, a few weeks back we tried to get a group together for Owosso. Mother Nature sort of kicked our collective arses on that one, so I just wondered if we wanted to try it again? I see PHN's EAA chapter 979 is having a pancake breakfast this Sunday the 22nd 7-11, with one source also stating Spaghetti from noon to three. I know some of you are from PHN, so this one might not exactly light yer fires... but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if there was any interest.

Also of note coming up soon, for any Blues fans (with a name like T Bone, ya think?) June 3/4 (Fri/Sat) there is a free Blues festival at JXN. At the airport! Now how often do ya get that unique of a fly in experience offered?

Listing as lifted from "FunPlacesToFly.com":

Saturday, Jun 4, 2005 — Sault Ste. Marie, MI. </B>(Local Weather) Fly-In and UP Pasties Lunch. Sanderson Field (ANJ) (Airport Data - Sectional - Weather), Noon to 4 pm, an Upper Peninsula delicacy, hot Cornish Pasties will be served by the Soo Pilots Association. New planes and new hangars to see at our revitalized airport. Contact: Larry Putnam 906/635-0252, putt@sault.com

Any takers??

Yum. I miss pasties.

I moved to AZ from GRR almost six years ago. Not quite the same out here. Sigh...

Brian Austin said:
Yum. I miss pasties.

I moved to AZ from GRR almost six years ago. Not quite the same out here. Sigh...

Just look at the TAF/ METAR for GRR and that sigh will quickly disappear.

N2212R said:
Just look at the TAF/ METAR for GRR and that sigh will quickly disappear.
Yeah, I know the weather sucks quite a bit. But it was a lot of fun to drive 20 miles and be in a different town. Fishing within 15 minutes of just about ANYWHERE. Seasons besides "nice" and "hotter than Hades."

Don't get me wrong, I like different things about AZ. After 30+ years in western Michigan, camping, fishing just about everywhere in that state, I get the occasional pangs of "well, we COULD move back...".

Brian Austin said:
Yeah, I know the weather sucks quite a bit. But it was a lot of fun to drive 20 miles and be in a different town. Fishing within 15 minutes of just about ANYWHERE. Seasons besides "nice" and "hotter than Hades."

Don't get me wrong, I like different things about AZ. After 30+ years in western Michigan, camping, fishing just about everywhere in that state, I get the occasional pangs of "well, we COULD move back...".

I had a couple of friends who lived in Prescott. I spent a week visiting them in October a few years ago and I loved it. I spent one of those days in Phoenix at the Wildlife park in the Scottsdale area and it was one of those hotter than Hades days. On another occasion I spent a weekend out there in August and Oh My God ! I took a commercial flight into Phoenix and it was 106 outdoors at 10:00 pm. My friend picked me up at the airport and drove me back to her place in Prescott where it was 30 degrees cooler. Gotta love those mountains.

As we often say here in Michigan, this is one place where you can have four seasons all in the same day.

Jeannie

T Bone said:
Well, a few weeks back we tried to get a group together for Owosso. Mother Nature sort of kicked our collective arses on that one, so I just wondered if we wanted to try it again? I see PHN's EAA chapter 979 is having a pancake breakfast this Sunday the 22nd 7-11, with one source also stating Spaghetti from noon to three. I know some of you are from PHN, so this one might not exactly light yer fires... but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if there was any interest.

Hey, that's where I keep my airplane I better be there.

Jeannie

Brian Austin said:
Yep... here we call our two seasons "Winter" and "Road Work"...

Liz

T Bone said:

Also of note coming up soon, for any Blues fans (with a name like T Bone, ya think?) June 3/4 (Fri/Sat) there is a free Blues festival at JXN. At the airport! Now how often do ya get that unique of a fly in experience offered?

Listing as lifted from "FunPlacesToFly.com":

Saturday, Jun 4, 2005 — Sault Ste. Marie, MI. </B>(Local Weather) Fly-In and UP Pasties Lunch. Sanderson Field (ANJ) (Airport Data - Sectional - Weather), Noon to 4 pm, an Upper Peninsula delicacy, hot Cornish Pasties will be served by the Soo Pilots Association. New planes and new hangars to see at our revitalized airport. Contact: Larry Putnam 906/635-0252, putt@sault.com

Any takers??

I'll probably be at PHN this Sunday... as to the others, well maybe JXN but being VFR only, I never plan on being able to make a XC on any given day, and ANJ is pretty far... I don't think we've even had a day since mid April when it's been VFR all the way between PHN and ANJ.

Liz (studying diligently for her IR written)

Azure said:
I'll probably be at PHN this Sunday... as to the others, well maybe JXN but being VFR only, I never plan on being able to make a XC on any given day, and ANJ is pretty far... I don't think we've even had a day since mid April when it's been VFR all the way between PHN and ANJ.

Liz (studying diligently for her IR written)

Lol! Did I post that one? really?? Yeah, I guess I did (trying to get it right this time :D ). I'll be studying for ther IFR soon too.... for now, I just need to proof read. :rofl: I'll be dropping by PHN on Sunday, any of you see me look me up. I look sorta like my avatar pic (that's a pic from last years solo, I've gained a couple'a pounds). The beard is still there, and the hair you can't see is tied back..... I have a blue on white 152 reserved, N89647 (I think).

Here's the correct listing for the Blues Festival.....

Friday - Saturday, Jun 3-4, 2005 — Jackson, MI. </B>(Local Weather) Blues Festival. Jackson County Airport (JXN) (Airport Data - Sectional - Weather), Free Blues Festival at the airport. Friday 3rd 6:00 p.m. to midnight, Saturday 4th noon to midnight. Many bands. Contact: Cindy Hayden 517-796-9368, slippeddiscproductions@yahoo.com

And I need to CHECK THE WEATHER before I post things like we haven't had any VFR days over the whole state... I just noticed it's VFR today, of all days, along the whole route between PHN and ANJ (which still looks like it might be fun to do, even if you really meant to post the JXN Blues fest instead ;). Maybe stop at MCD on the way back... mmmm, fudge! :)

Who knows, maybe we'll even see summer this year!

Liz

I've never attended one of these 'fly-ins' - whats the general procedure ? Just show up on the day ?

My buddy and I may well head that way (PHN) if we are both available, his wife is comfortable (she just had some major surgery), the weather is nice and the plane is available etc...

The Blues gig at JXN sounds like fun - we often pop down there from PTK for lunch on a weekend :)

SJP said:
I've never attended one of these 'fly-ins' - whats the general procedure ? Just show up on the day ?

My buddy and I may well head that way (PHN) if we are both available, his wife is comfortable (she just had some major surgery), the weather is nice and the plane is available etc...

The Blues gig at JXN sounds like fun - we often pop down there from PTK for lunch on a weekend :)
I've only been to a couple myself, but IME that's pretty much it... head on a swivel in/near the pattern of course, even more so than usual. There is usually someone to direct you to a tie-down area. As for this Sunday at PHN, since that's sponsored by EAA I would be surprised if they didn't have Young Eagles flights too, so expect a lot of traffic near the field.

I just remembered something... isn't there an airshow at Selfridge this weekend?? Or is that the weekend after?

Liz

azure said:
I've only been to a couple myself, but IME that's pretty much it... head on a swivel in/near the pattern of course, even more so than usual. There is usually someone to direct you to a tie-down area. As for this Sunday at PHN, since that's sponsored by EAA I would be surprised if they didn't have Young Eagles flights too, so expect a lot of traffic near the field.
Liz

Don't forget to do your best landings as EVERYONE is watching and grading!! :goofy:

bstratt said:
Don't forget to do your best landings as EVERYONE is watching and grading!! :goofy:

LOL - My buddy usually flies left seat in the Mooney (it is his plane after all), so even if I do the landing, I can always blame him as PIC... :p

Azure said:
I just remembered something... isn't there an airshow at Selfridge this weekend?? Or is that the weekend after?

Liz

Ack! Thpth thpth...... OMG, you're right! It snuck up on me, I totally forget.... now what to do? (Can you imagine an XC from 1D2 to KPHN, with an airshow TFR?). Blue Angels too, both days.... what to do..... Schecduled to take my first passenger to Jacson for lunch on Sat. too... hmm. Maybe I'll bail. Maybe both days? I could get the 152, head for KPHN early, then eat and be back by 10 or so, goiving me just enough time to cage it out to KMTC. And be struck in traffic forever...... Hmmm, I think I need to rethink this weekend!

There will of course be the requisite TFR's for the Angels, not sure what time. But 1D2 to KPHN definitely passes by, I took pics of the runways at KMTC the last time I flew that route.

Gotta sort this out. I'll post what's up with me when i figure it out. What about everyone else, going to the show? Both?

T Bone said:
Ack! Thpth thpth...... OMG, you're right! It snuck up on me, I totally forget.... now what to do? (Can you imagine an XC from 1D2 to KPHN, with an airshow TFR?). Blue Angels too, both days.... what to do..... Schecduled to take my first passenger to Jacson for lunch on Sat. too... hmm. Maybe I'll bail. Maybe both days? I could get the 152, head for KPHN early, then eat and be back by 10 or so, goiving me just enough time to cage it out to KMTC. And be struck in traffic forever...... Hmmm, I think I need to rethink this weekend!

There will of course be the requisite TFR's for the Angels, not sure what time. But 1D2 to KPHN definitely passes by, I took pics of the runways at KMTC the last time I flew that route.

Gotta sort this out. I'll post what's up with me when i figure it out. What about everyone else, going to the show? Both?
Not sure which day or even whether I'll be going to the airshow (I might bicycle there on Saturday to avoid the traffic jam), but I'll bet someone will be driving down from PHN. I wouldn't let the TFR keep you away if you want to go to the breakfast or even the dinner... it will be NOTAM'd, and it's 22.3nm from PHN to MTC. You should be able to go around it easily.

The only thing I wouldn't count on is flight following from Selfridge Approach. ;)

Liz

This weekend is a no go for me. However I have the calendar out and pen in hand for the future dates...

Thanks all for info on the TFR. I guess I got a bit carried away with it, not that big a deal (got used to last years 30 mile TFR's when I was doing initial training). I spoke to the briefer on the way to dinner tonight, it's already posted. 5NM from MTC. I'd only have to deviate a few miles North of my normal path (last time I flew to KPHN, I took pics of MTC on my way back :D ). But I'm not sure what my plans are now, I just had dinner with a freind. Turns out he's thinking of going to KPHN Sunday..... and the right seat is open in this :yes:

standard.jpg

azure said:
Yep... here we call our two seasons "Winter" and "Road Work"...Liz

It seems that over the last few years we've added another season here in Minnesota. I call it "Indian winter". These days just when you think winter is over we get snow, sleet, and near freezing high temps in May after a week of two of nice spring weather in April.

Iceman said:
This weekend is a no go for me. However I have the calendar out and pen in hand for the future dates...

If I can get away from family obligations, I'd be interested in meeting somewhere over the Memorial day weekend which I'll be spending in Bellaire.

lancefisher said:
It seems that over the last few years we've added another season here in Minnesota. I call it "Indian winter". These days just when you think winter is over we get snow, sleet, and near freezing high temps in May after a week of two of nice spring weather in April.
We've had that in Michigan too, since about 2002 I think. One coolish Saturday in late May that year (weekend before Memorial day IIRC) I was up in a 150 with my primary CFI practicing at a grass strip near Tecumseh. We were headed back to DET via the SVM VOR when the weather suddenly turned nasty, with rain/snow spritzes popping up everywhere. We diverted to PTK and sat inside IFL East waiting for a ride for about 2 hours watching a mixture of rain, snow, and sleet pelt the runways. I had never seen that happen here in May before, but we've had it already this month and it looks like it will happen again next week. Indian Winter... I like that, it's a good description.

Liz

Steve said:
You have doubts with an open seat in THAT!!??!!:no:

The choice is obvious.:yes:

Well, yeah (Lol....). Not like I've not been there before, but it's been awhile (like before I even started flight training!). And not only will I get the ride, I get to fly the trip, minus take off and landing.... though if I want to log it, I'll have to don the hood and log simulated IFR.... (no complex or HP rating here yet).

Still, yes it is an obvious choice. I may have to skip the airshow altogether (or bail on my Saturday passenger). This Lancair IV won kit plane Reserve Grand Champion this year at Sun-N-Fun, and last year took Best Composite Airplane there, and the highest scoring Bronze Lindy (ie: third place) in Kit Planes at Osh Kosh..... Yeah, what was I thinking? :yes:

See y'all Sunday for breakfast. We'll be there around 9:00 to 9:30.

T Bone said:
And not only will I get the ride, I get to fly the trip, minus take off and landing.... though if I want to log it, I'll have to don the hood and log simulated IFR.... (no complex or HP rating here yet).

Incorrect. You may log the time in which you manipulate the controls. That plane is a single engine land not requiring a type rating. You are rated to fly a single engine land airplane. You will be LOGGING PIC, not acting as PIC. You may not ACT as PIC in any capacity in that plane without the proper endorsements or currency. You may however log the time while you push/pull yank/bank.

N2212R said:
Incorrect. You may log the time in which you manipulate the controls. That plane is a single engine land not requiring a type rating. You are rated to fly a single engine land airplane. You will be LOGGING PIC, not acting as PIC. You may not ACT as PIC in any capacity in that plane without the proper endorsements or currency. You may however log the time while you push/pull yank/bank.

Hmm, I can log it as PIC? If not acting as PIC, that would mean the owner would be. I thought the only way two pilot's could log PIC simultaneously was when two pilot's were required crew, such as in simulated instrument meterorlogical conditions? Damn, this logging stuff is rather convoluted....

So Ed, any chance your gonna show up? Or are you leaving for your "out West" adventure? BTW, you've seen Saturday's TFR forecast for the Pres. in GR, right?

T Bone said:
I thought the only way two pilot's could log PIC simultaneously was when two pilot's were required crew, such as in simulated instrument meterorlogical conditions? ?

Correct, the owner doesn't get to log any of the time. He gets to act as PIC withuot logging it. All the responsibility, none of the benefits.

T Bone said:
So Ed, any chance your gonna show up? Or are you leaving for your "out West" adventure? BTW, you've seen Saturday's TFR forecast for the Pres. in GR, right?

Not sure, I've got plans that are up in the air (no pun intended) at this moment. I'm outside the 10nm circle, so I can can leave the TFR, I just have to file something to get off the ground.

T Bone said:
Well, yeah (Lol....)..... though if I want to log it, I'll have to don the hood and log simulated IFR.... (no complex or HP rating here yet).

Not true. As long as you are rated in category and class (Airplane / Single Engine Land) you can log as PIC all time that you are sole manipulator, no hood required. If you were wearing a hood, then the acting PIC could log PIC time as well.

Well, my buddy and I are planning on being there (wx,pln,wives permitting) early Sunday (7:30, 8am maybe). Should be flying in the Mooney, green and white, 3396X as I recall

SJP said:
Well, my buddy and I are planning on being there (wx,pln,wives permitting) early Sunday (7:30, 8am maybe). Should be flying in the Mooney, green and white, 3396X as I recall

I'll keep an eye peeled, though you may arrive earlier. Blue/cream Lancir IV, 54TB. I think our plan is to leave around 8:30, but we're coming from KOZW (Livinston County, Howell), so it'll take like 20 minutes flight time :D depending on winds, which runways in use, and how high we climb..... (man this sucker's fast!) Normal cruise below 10,000 is 235 KIAS. :yes:

T Bone said:

I'm doing both, In fact I have tix to the Friday night hanger dance w/ the angles... I have a plane outta Troy from Breakfast (T-bone your welcome to come) then I'll be at the 99's booth from 3-5 at the airshow...

Missa

Thanks Missa, I see you made it back from Ohio. I think my plans are solidified now, but I may miss most or all of the air show :mad: . Tomorrow's pax. really wanted to fly to lunch, so I'm sticking with that plan. Probably can't get there untill around when the Angels are flying (or after?). Sunday, going in the Lancair for breakfast to PHN. After, I'll be driving from KOZW.... may get there earlier...

As a backup plan, I think I'll grab my scanner and camera, and head up near Selfridge this afternoon, see if I can find a spot to plant my lawn chair on the North boundry of MTC and catch the Angels in practice!

Last edited:
T Bone said:
As a backup plan, I think I'll grab my scanner and camera, and head up near Selfridge this afternoon, see if I can find a spot to plant my lawn chair on the North boundry of MTC and catch the Angels in practice!
I'm sure I don't need to tell you to allow extra time, it will probably be very crowded and some of the local roads are sure to be closed off. I don't know if you heard, but yesterday they had M-59 between I-94 and Jefferson blocked off during the Angels' practice session. Then someone who was apparently paying too much attention to the Angels hit and seriously injured a police officer who was directing traffic on M-59. Something tells me they will be even more careful today about keeping traffic under control around there.

BTW I got home toward the end of the practice... they shook the whole building, and I ran outside a few times to try to see them. Only caught a fleeting glimpse of one in the distance though, looked like he was out over Anchor Bay.

Liz

T Bone said:
Sunday, going in the Lancair for breakfast to PHN. After, I'll be driving from KOZW.... may get there earlier...

I'll see you there if you are there between 9:30 - 10:15am. I'm flying from Troy and I have the plane from 8-11, I want to go touch the ground in Sandusky City on the way over so I can count it as a cross country. :goofy:

Missa

Missa said:
I'll see you there if you are there between 9:30 - 10:15am. I'm flying from Troy and I have the plane from 8-11, I want to go touch the ground in Sandusky City on the way over so I can count it as a cross country. :goofy:

Missa

My previous airplane lives at Sundusky City. It's a nice little airport. I hope to see you at PHN on Sunday and I'll take you over to my hangar to see the Cardinal if you have the time.

Do you know if Razor and/or Dave will be coming?

Jeannie

Plan C? Lol..... well, Tom, my freind with the Lancair seems to be having second thoughts about the weather. While it's too early to say what the morning's forecast will be, he's not inclined to fly through even a small bit of rain "just for pancakes". Hmm.... well, I can't really blame him, if I had a third of a million dollars and thousands of hours of my labor invested in building a show winning airplane, I'd be pretty picky where I flew too! But, I already cancelled the 152 for the AM (flew a couple hours cross country today though, beautiful!) so now I'm thinking.... I may drive there! Come up for pancakes, then a short 30 miles South to the airshow... I'll charge my rechargeable batteries for the camera and scanner in case. Hoping for good Wx. for the AM. We'll (he'll) be making the determination around 7:30.

I just checked the weather and I think I'll be good. If you can make it by 8:15 or so to troy you can ride shot gun in the archer. (jean, the 140 went down for maint. but they squeased me in to 8086G)

Missa

We were there, but didn't recognize anyone - Pancakes were great, sausage was even better. Lot of real nice planes, I got a few pics that I'l post a bit later.

Weather held off at least until we were back at PTK around 11ish - but was starting to get overcast and the visibility was dropping some, but the flight out was beautiful, and the flight back even better as I got to fly the Mooney all the way to the hanger at PTK :D

SJP said:
We were there, but didn't recognize anyone - Pancakes were great, sausage was even better. Lot of real nice planes, I got a few pics that I'l post a bit later.

Weather held off at least until we were back at PTK around 11ish - but was starting to get overcast and the visibility was dropping some, but the flight out was beautiful, and the flight back even better as I got to fly the Mooney all the way to the hanger at PTK :D

I was there and so was Missa and Dave. I can be hard recognizing people you've never met before.

It's was kinda funny that the EAA chapter had the pancake breakfast in the morning and immediately following that from noon to 4 pm, the Friends of the Airport organization held a spaghetti dinner. I was way too full from breakfast to start eating spaghetti. Besides I have painting to do at home so I needed to get back.

Jeannie

SJP said:

Plan Z... yep, went with plan Z..... Tom called at 6:45, I could tell he really wasn't up for it. He's got some stuff going on, so I thought I needed to cut him some slack. He said we could go, but when I pressed him if he'd be going if I wasn't involved, he said no (and the weather of course came from the West, and he being in Howell, it got there first.

Anyway, I breifly considered calling 1D2's FBO to see if a 152 was still available. Then I thought, nah, I'll just drive there. Then I thought, hmm.... that means I can sleep for another half hour.............. Thus, plan Z. I awoke hours later (Yikes!) and got going, packed up and went to the air show. Got there plenty late too, but I shot 169 frames of digital, at least 140 of which won't be discarded due to 1.empty sky, 2. So out of focus as to be irrecognizable, 3. accidental crowd shot, or 4. Lawn shot. Look for a post tomorrow in Hangar talk titled "Gratuitous Michigan Air Show Pics".

Sorry I missed everybody. Not like I cared about the pancakes, I didn't give a rats posterrior about that, but woulda been nice to meet some of the POA crew. Maybe for the next one, we should figure out a way (yeah, like showing up in my case...) for everyone to meet up. I know, POA tee shirts?

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
If I can get away from family obligations, I'd be interested in meeting somewhere over the Memorial day weekend which I'll be spending in Bellaire.

I would like to get together over memorial day weekend. However, our plane is currently under the knife at the avionics shop and will not be done until the early part of june :(. If you would like I can meet you in grand rapids, sparta, holland, kalamazoo, or battle creek. Bellaire is too far away for my little saturn :). Send me a pm if interested.

Back