Michigan--$100 Hamburger ideas?

lancefisher said:
While I'm sure they get a lot more pilot mistakes than controller screwups, the controllers at PTK aren't perfect either. Coming into 9R one night on the ILS (MVFR conditions) I found that the tower was landing another airplane on 27L at the same time. Both of us pilots discovered the mistake and went around. The controller never even apologized, just sequenced us back into the pattern, this time to land one at a time in the same direction.
Whew! That sounds like a close one... of course everyone is human and mistakes are going to happen, all the more so there as PTK is one heckuva busy Class D, busier than FNT, LAN, and GRR from what I've heard (which are all Class C). Usually though the controllers at PTK will apologise when they goof. This one must have been in CMA mode, hoping no one would notice that he'd nearly caused a head-on.

I tend to get a little complacent sometimes working with these folks as I know they're some of the best controllers in the business... thanks, Lance, for the reminder to never, ever lose situational awareness.

Liz

T Bone said:
Lol.... on my Private checkride a few weeks ago (yep, a real, still wet behind the ears, ink on temp. certificate still wet, honest to gosh newbie here :D ) the Xc flight plan was Pontiac to Hillsdale. After navigating past New Hudson, she diverted me. "You know where Brighton International is"? Lol... Never landed there yet, though I need to try it out. Great centerline training from what I hear!

Sounds to me like you did your checkride with Mary Carpenter. :) I did my private checkride with her as well in 1998.

Carolyn

There is a little family style restaurant by the name of Gabby's adjacent to the field at Flushing Dalton Airport 3DA. They have pretty good food and you can taxi up on the grass right next to the parking lot. I've gone there several times and haven't been disappointed yet.

Jeannie

Razor said:
Sounds to me like you did your checkride with Mary Carpenter. :) I did my private checkride with her as well in 1998.

Carolyn

Right you are! Very nice lady, and if I read her right, one helluvan aviator! I think I'll be back to see here in a year and a half or so (planning to do instrument, beginning.... soon!).

mmthomas said:
There seem to be several Michigan pilots active on these forums. Does anyone have any good ideas for short flights for lunch or dinners on nice weekends (like the one we just had)?:)

There is a classic $100 Hamburger joint at Plainwell Muni (61D) -- the "Fly Inn", 269/685-1554.

I believe someone else mentioned Clare Muni (48D). No restaurant on field, but the airport manager stocks a freezer with ice cream, chocolote syrup, cherries, etc., and passes out sundaes to everyone. They have a courtesy car that they will freely loan for a trip to the local restaurants. If you arrive after hours you should read the 1-page local areas note on the FBO front door very, very carefully. There is information within that notice that you will want to find.

Ed Guthrie said:
There is a classic $100 Hamburger joint at Plainwell Muni (61D) -- the "Fly Inn", 269/685-1554.

I believe someone else mentioned Clare Muni (48D). No restaurant on field, but the airport manager stocks a freezer with ice cream, chocolote syrup, cherries, etc., and passes out sundaes to everyone.
As I recall, Roscommon County Airport (HTL) also had a well-stocked ice cream freezer when I did my first student solo XC there... of course, that was back in 2002 and a lot may have changed since then.

I recall lots of goodies in the freezer at Put-in Bay, OH (3W2) too... a fun day trip for SE Michigan pilots, lots to see and do on the island there and some good restaurants in town. Just be sure to climb high if you cross Lake Erie directly!

Liz

lancefisher said:
I enjoyed landing at Mackinac Island and taking the horse drawn taxi to the hotel. The clubhouse at the golf course serves great lunches. No fuel last time I was there in 2002.

No fuel and the taxi ride isn't cheap if you have a group, but the trip is well worth the cost.

I did the fudgie thing with a friend, but took two folding bikes and went for the excersize too! If you decide on the bikes, be ready for some hilly terrain!! but had a blast and lots of fudge!!!

I don't recall if there was fuel on the field, but I stopped for fuel at a small airport just south of the island.

jeffegg2 said:
I did the fudgie thing with a friend, but took two folding bikes and went for the excersize too! If you decide on the bikes, be ready for some hilly terrain!! but had a blast and lots of fudge!!!

I don't recall if there was fuel on the field, but I stopped for fuel at a small airport just south of the island.
We did the folding bike thing too on my last trip there - that's when I realised that mine is worthless, its wheels are too tiny and the gear ratio is about right for a 45 degree (climbing!) grade. The problem is is, I can't fit two road bikes in the airplane, even small ones. :(

BTW I'm sure there is no fuel on the island (or wasn't as of 2003). Was that Cheboygan you fueled at? That was my plan too, make a fuel stop at SLH on the way back, but they closed early even in September - 5pm or so! Ditto every other nearby field with fuel... so had to settle for PLN.

Liz

azure said:
Was that Cheboygan you fueled at? That was my plan too, make a fuel stop at SLH on the way back, but they closed early even in September - 5pm or so! Ditto every other nearby field with fuel... so had to settle for PLN.

Cheboygan is self serve now.

Yes you can, Liz. You just have to take the dang thing well apart. Wheels off, Maybe the fork out as well. PITA but it can be done. Used to take two road bikes in my mooney. Then discovered Bike Friday... :)

bbchien said:
Yes you can, Liz. You just have to take the dang thing well apart. Wheels off, Maybe the fork out as well. PITA but it can be done. Used to take two road bikes in my mooney. Then discovered Bike Friday... :)
Wow, you must have a lot more patience and determination than I do Bruce, not to mention tools - I couldn't imagine disconnecting the fork. If I can't quick release it, it's more trouble than it's worth for a day trip, which is all I envision doing for the near future anyway.

A friend of mine is pretty sure that her recumbent will come apart to fit comfortably with my road bike. We might try it sometime this summer.

Liz

azure said:
Wow, you must have a lot more patience and determination than I do Bruce, not to mention tools - I couldn't imagine disconnecting the fork. If I can't quick release it, it's more trouble than it's worth for a day trip, which is all I envision doing for the near future anyway.

A friend of mine is pretty sure that her recumbent will come apart to fit comfortably with my road bike. We might try it sometime this summer.

I agree that removing the fork would be way more than most would want to tackle for an airplane trip with bicycles. You may gain something by removing the handlebar stem and that's much easier (one bolt). You do need to wrap the stem in a plastic bag to keep it clean and prevent the grease from getting all over the interior of the plane. I have also removed one or both pedals which is easy (remember the left one has left hand threads) and can gain a lot of space. Something we did back when we did this regularly (two people with bikes in a C-172, C177RG, and BE-35) was to make padded bags for the wheels and frames out of quilted material. That helps to protect both the bikes and the airplane.

lancefisher said:
I agree that removing the fork would be way more than most would want to tackle for an airplane trip with bicycles. You may gain something by removing the handlebar stem and that's much easier (one bolt). You do need to wrap the stem in a plastic bag to keep it clean and prevent the grease from getting all over the interior of the plane. I have also removed one or both pedals which is easy (remember the left one has left hand threads) and can gain a lot of space. Something we did back when we did this regularly (two people with bikes in a C-172, C177RG, and BE-35) was to make padded bags for the wheels and frames out of quilted material. That helps to protect both the bikes and the airplane.
Thanks for the tips Lance, I especially like the idea of padded bags, though they would add some bulk. Even taking off the back wheel leaves the chain and rear derailleur loose, so you need some way to protect the interior of the airplane. If we were flying somewhere to stay several days, removing the handlebar stem and pedals might be worth it, but for a day trip it's just too much hassle for me. I'll worry about that once I have my IR and can seriously think about going somewhere for a few days.

Liz

azure said:
Thanks for the tips Lance, I especially like the idea of padded bags, though they would add some bulk. Even taking off the back wheel leaves the chain and rear derailleur loose, so you need some way to protect the interior of the airplane. If we were flying somewhere to stay several days, removing the handlebar stem and pedals might be worth it, but for a day trip it's just too much hassle for me. I'll worry about that once I have my IR and can seriously think about going somewhere for a few days.

If you have the right wrench, removing pedals is easier than you might think and it may make the bikes fit a lot better as this decreases the "thickness" of the frame by a factor of three. The stem OTOH, doesn't help as much and is a bigger hassle because you have to realign the handlebars and there's the grease issue.

For a day trip, I'd only pull what's necessary to fit the bikes in as you aren't likely to have much other baggage. Again, the pedals gain you a lot for very little pain. Happy riding!:cheerio:

Back