Michigan--$100 Hamburger ideas?

mmthomas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Thomas
There seem to be several Michigan pilots active on these forums. Does anyone have any good ideas for short flights for lunch or dinners on nice weekends (like the one we just had)?:)

Do you care about paved vs grass strips? Bay City(3CM) is paved. Ask the FBO to call Kryziak's Resturant. They have a great buffet weekdays at noon for about $6-7. Their regular menu is good too. The owner is a pilot.
Houghton Lake(HTL) has the Spikehorn, a bar and resturant with OK food, about 1/4 mile walk south of the terminal.
Harrison-Clare County(80D)Paved strip, grass taxiway. Park at Yvonne's Airport Inn, on the East side of the field just north of the hangars.
Lakes of the North(4Y4)Golf course resturant, less than one block east-southeast of the runway.
Soo Sanderson Field(ANJ) Abner's Resturant is about 1/2mile hike from the terminal, just across the street from the east end of the runway, it is a real nice place. Or get a taxi and go to the Antler's, it is an experience especially if you like dead animals.

Grass Strips-- Mecosta(27C) Nice little resturant just across the road on the south side of the airport.
Houghton Heights(5Y2) About one Block North of runway is the Whitehouse and Coyle's Resturant's. Coyle's is the fancier of the two.
Mio(51M)Nice resturant at the west end of the runway, south side.
Bunch's Half Acre(4Y9) Small resturant North of the East end of the runway, across the street on the other side of the gas station.
Moorestown(6Y0) the gas station across the street on the north is commonly called the Moorestown Mall(only store in town)--gas station, post office, grocery store, meat market, hardware store and resturant(uses paper plates) and ice parlor. If they don't have it, you don't need it.

Clare Municipal(48D) and Gladwin(GDW) both have courtesy cars. At Gladwin, the Peppermill and Robin's are good reasonably priced places with good pies. Cheezer's Deli is at the corner of the airport's road and main street(about 1/2mile walk from terminal), it has soups and sandwiches. My ppl instructor owns it.

I probably missed a few but I don't get south much.

Barb Miller

Ludington (LDM) has a Big Boy right across the street.
3CM never seems to have anyone around when I've been in there 3 or 4 times
Jackson has a place on the field.
Plainwell has a good place too I hear

I enjoyed landing at Mackinac Island and taking the horse drawn taxi to the hotel. The clubhouse at the golf course serves great lunches. No fuel last time I was there in 2002.

bbchien said:
Hi Barb, good to see you here.....Bruce Chien

Howdy, Bruce. I try to stop by every day but I'm a real slow typer.:) I love the site.

Barb

#1-Garland Resort - 8M8 - Lewiston, Michigan

http://www.airnav.com/airport/8M8

http://www.garlandusa.com

Rwy 18/36 Asphalt-5047' x 75' - No fuel-Unattended.
Call Garland Lodge(989-786-2211) for shuttle ride from airport to restaurant. I also try to contact the Lodge on the unicom (122.8) approx 10 miles out. Usually, the front desk monitors 122.8 unicom, but not always. Verizon has cell coverage. Others do not.
The bar area is very casual. Main dining room is dress-casual. Fairly priced and the best tasting food in Michigan.
Five fabulous golf courses, as well. Life is good.
=========================================================

#2-Fly-Inn Again - 61D - Plainwell, Michigan

http://www.airnav.com/airport/61D

Rwy 9/27 Asphalt-2650' x 50' -Self Serve 100LL-A&P(On field) - Unattended.
Great Burgers(4 or 6 oz.) Diverse menu. Open for breakfast and lunch Mon-Sat., dinner Wed-Fri., closed Sunday. The local patrons and owners(Kathy & Dick) are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. The restaurant sits south of the approach end to Rwy 27.

#3-Brownstone Restaurant - KMKG - Muskegon, Michigan

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMKG

Multiple Runways and Instrument Approaches - 100LL & Jet A - Tower/Radar
The restaurant is located on the main floor of the Muskegon County Terminal. Park at Executive Air and walk approx 50 yards to terminal. Excellent sandwiches and soups. Great view of the main Rwy-06/24.

#4-Airport Restaurant & Spirits - KJXN - Jackson, Michigan

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KJXN

Multiple Runways and Instrument Approaches - 100LL & Jet A - Tower
Fantastic view of the airport and air traffic. Food is good, but not the main attraction. Located on the south side of the field next to the Terminal, just west of the Tower. Lots of activity during MIS Race weeks. NASCAR drivers tend to hang out at the restaurant.

#5-Pellston Airport Restaurant - KPLN - Pellston, Michigan

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPLN

Multiple Runways and Instrument Approaches - 100LL & Jet A - Tower
New Terminal that looks and feels more like a ski lodge. I have not eaten in the airport restaurant, but hear it is excellent. Planning to fly a couple of our State Legislators to Pellston for lunch, next week. Will report back.

#6-Liberty Restaurant - 3DA - Flushing, Michigan

http://www.airnav.com/airport/3DA

Rwy 18/39 Asphalt-2510' x 50' - 100LL - Attended Dawn-Dusk
Another airport restaurant that I have not experienced first hand, but I hear that the food is very good. Will report back on this one, as well.

That should keep you busy for a couple of weeks, anyway.
Gary
N116RC

Last edited:
mmthomas said:
There seem to be several Michigan pilots active on these forums. Does anyone have any good ideas for short flights for lunch or dinners on nice weekends (like the one we just had)?:)

I like your airport :) I take all my students there so they can marvel at how they actually have to aim for the centerline and not just pavement. :)

Suggestions given so far are great, but there are a few destinations outside Michigan that are nice as well:

Burke Lakefront (KBKL), Cleveland, OH: Women's aviation museum in the terminal, Hornblowers restaurant and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame within walking distance. Shopping a short train ride away.

Sandusky (KSKY), Sandusky, OH: Nice restaurant on the field and of course, Cedar Point 6 miles away. They have shuttle service to the Point for $8 and they'll drop you off and pick you up at the front gate.

Mansfield, OH (identifier not coming to mind at the moment): Restaurant on the field, but I've never eaten there yet. Heard it's pretty good though.

I'd concur with Barb about Kryziak's at 3CM and the restaurant at Mio. Of course, Jackson is the old stand-by.

As for Ludington, they used to have a courtesy car and there is an ice cream shop right up the road in town that is awesome. Hand-dipped homemade ice cream. Mmmmm mmm m m m.... :)

Carolyn (need to fly for fun more often :) )

Razor said:
I like your airport :) I take all my students there so they can marvel at how they actually have to aim for the centerline and not just pavement. :)

Yep... after landing left of center line in a few instrument lessons... I ended up at 2000ft and 90 kts just outside of Brighton... then the foggles came off. Guess Keith likes it too...

Razor said:
Carolyn (need to fly for fun more often :) )

I can fix that... when are we going to K-zoo and the air Zoo?????

Missa

N2212R said:

Is the Big Boy there like the old Big Boys in Milwaukee? Cartoon like picture of a young boy in suspender shorts, famous for burgers?

sierra said:
Is the Big Boy there like the old Big Boys in Milwaukee? Cartoon like picture of a young boy in suspender shorts, famous for burgers?

Yes, that be the one. Red suspender pants, black pompadour, and he's holding a burger. Although I usually get the Fish N Chips.

Mansfield is MFD and the restuarant is the Flying Turtle, great hot wings good burger and the wife loves their chicken salad. I second the vote for Garland, one of our favorites, have a golf getaway for a few days planned in May.

Also suggest trying Put-in-Bay, need to take a taxi for the main drag where there are about 50 places ($3 or a twenty minute walk), but there is a place right off the Southeast end of the field only I've never tried it so I don't know if it's any good.

Big Bird said:
I enjoyed landing at Mackinac Island and taking the horse drawn taxi to the hotel. The clubhouse at the golf course serves great lunches. No fuel last time I was there in 2002.

No fuel and the taxi ride isn't cheap if you have a group, but the trip is well worth the cost.

Razor said:
As for Ludington, they used to have a courtesy car and there is an ice cream shop right up the road in town that is awesome. Hand-dipped homemade ice cream. Mmmmm mmm m m m.... :)

Used to be called the Park Dairy, not I think it's the House of Flavors. I used to go there when I was a kid and stopped in last year. The appearance has changed quite a bit, but the treats were still fabulous. As to the car at LDM, I've borrowed it a couple times and while driveable, it's quite a wreck. The price is right though.

N2212R said:

I ate there last night in fact - great place, excellent service. And if your engine fails its runup on departure and it's after hours, there's even a Holiday Inn Express next door (no, this didn't happen to me, but it was nice to know it was so close just in case).

Anna Bach's Chocolate and Danish in town is heavenly - pricey though.

Gary mentioned a "Liberty Restaurant" at 3DA... actually it's called Gabby's and it is durn near perfect for a $100 burger. It's a couple hundred feet from the approach end of 18, you just pull off and park in the grass. The 2500 ft runway (780 ft. displaced threshold) might be a little challenging for larger birds.

Liz

I love flying into Ludington. I even walked the mile-plus down to Applebee's one time. Good exercise.

N2212R said:
I love flying into Ludington. I even walked the mile-plus down to Applebee's one time. Good exercise.

Yesterday was my first visit there. I brought along my bicycle and rode up M-116 to the state park, then back into town for a movie at the GKC on James. The airport people were great and even gave me directions to exit the field by a gate onto a side street to avoid the traffic on US-10. I came back by the highway though and it wasn't bad at all - MUCH better than Traverse.

All in all a fantastic way to spend a day off.

Liz

I have yet to figure out how I would fit a bike in my plane.

N2212R said:
I have yet to figure out how I would fit a bike in my plane.
I'm kinda little - mine's a small (20 inch I think) frame road bike that fits nicely in the back seat of a Cardinal with the front wheel removed. A recumbent might be even easier.

Liz

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! It looks like another great weekend so I hope to try one of the suggested places.

I agree that a trip to Mackinac Island is well worth it. Take a taxi into town, rent a bike, and ride around the perimeter of the island, take a picnic lunch --Fantastic.

Ludington is great too. I flew up there last summer for a horse show--the fairgronds are right next to the airport--and I was busy all weekend taking people from the show up for sightseeing rides!

By the way--off topic--anyone interested in being (or need) a safety pilot?

Last edited:
mmthomas said:

Yes (to both), though I've already said this to three other people already. I guess I just can't get enough air time. :) I live in Plymouth but fly out of Troy. However I can be bribed with a Beaner's Carmel latte to come to Brighton. :) yum yum... But not this weekend I have to build a deck :(

Another place to try is Seabawing (sp?) up on Saginaw bay. It's a small strip but they have a rack full of bikes to use. Not sure about a place to eat but you should be able to find something within biking distance.

Missa

Missa said:
Yes (to both), though I've already said this to three other people already. I guess I just can't get enough air time. :) I live in Plymouth but fly out of Troy. However I can be bribed with a Beaner's Carmel latte to come to Brighton. :) yum yum... But not this weekend I have to build a deck :(

Another place to try is Seabawing (sp?) up on Saginaw bay. It's a small strip but they have a rack full of bikes to use. Not sure about a place to eat but you should be able to find something within biking distance.

Missa

I feel like the outcast, not living on the (l)east side of the state.

One other airport I'm pretty familiar with is Bellaire (ACB). Nice terminal with frendly folks and you can walk to a good cafe about a mile south of the terminal. Chances are you could get a ride too, if the FBO isn't busy.

lancefisher said:
One other airport I'm pretty familiar with is Bellaire (ACB). Nice terminal with frendly folks and you can walk to a good cafe about a mile south of the terminal. Chances are you could get a ride too, if the FBO isn't busy.

Also, a little north of there is Harbor Springs (MGN), right on Little Traverse Bay. It's got to be one of the prettiest towns in lower Michigan, with a motel a short walk away from the field and quite a few restaurants in town. Downtown there's a family place called Juilleret's where they serve a root beer that's out of this world. Another very nice terminal, friendly people. A bicycle is great to have there but you could probably get a ride into town from the airport.

Liz

azure said:
Also, a little north of there is Harbor Springs (MGN), right on Little Traverse Bay. It's got to be one of the prettiest towns in lower Michigan, with a motel a short walk away from the field and quite a few restaurants in town. Downtown there's a family place called Juilleret's where they serve a root beer that's out of this world. Another very nice terminal, friendly people. A bicycle is great to have there but you could probably get a ride into town from the airport.
Liz
Ooh. Have two friends in Traverse City. Juilleret's on a hot summer day is very very nice.

Wow, looks like I've "landed" in the right spot! Just signed on to this board, and it looks like there're lots of pilots here from "home".

Razor said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmthomas

Lol.... on my Private checkride a few weeks ago (yep, a real, still wet behind the ears, ink on temp. certificate still wet, honest to gosh newbie here :D ) the Xc flight plan was Pontiac to Hillsdale. After navigating past New Hudson, she diverted me. "You know where Brighton International is"? Lol... Never landed there yet, though I need to try it out. Great centerline training from what I hear!

Mark Thomas said:

Well, yes! I'm actually a bit better than my limited hours suggest, and I'd love to log some safety pilot time! Later in the year, I'll be beginning my IFR, and looking for a safety pilot then as well. :blueplane:

Last edited:
I'm always looking for a safety pilot, but it looks like T-bone, Missa and Mark all have their planes assembled upside down, any of you willing to sit right seat for someone from the 'dark side'. I did all my training in Cessnas, so it's not a problem for me to switch teams.

Kyle Thornley said:
I'm always looking for a safety pilot, but it looks like T-bone, Missa and Mark all have their planes assembled upside down, any of you willing to sit right seat for someone from the 'dark side'. I did all my training in Cessnas, so it's not a problem for me to switch teams.

Lol...actually, I am on my way to "versatility" in that respect. I stuck with the 152 for economy (and availability, the school has 6) during my primary training. Just checked out in the 172, on my short list is the schools Cherokee 180 (down for an engine rebuild) and the Diamond 2 seater over at your airport (assuming they're still there...). Then there's the 182 back at 1D2....

Kyle Thornley said:

Hey now! I did my training in both a 172 and an Archer so I'm not partial to which side the wing is on... In fact a really good flight is one where the wing is changing places all the time...

Missa
I't a high wing, it's a low wing, it a high wing... no, it's a Citabra doing loops!

Last edited:
N2212R said:
I feel like the outcast, not living on the (l)east side of the state.

Nah, your on the pritty side of the state without all the F&^$ing traffic... but I'm never flying ack to see you... I'm afraid tower would reconize my voice...

Missa

Missa said:
Nah, your on the pritty side of the state without all the F&^$ing traffic... but I'm never flying ack to see you... I'm afraid tower would reconize my voice...

Missa

Or are you afraid they'll hold a grudge??? :) :)

wsuffa said:
Or are you afraid they'll hold a grudge??? :) :)

No, they were laughing their collective a$$es off... at me. :(

Approch: 74H do you have the airport in sight
<long pause, as I look franticly>
me: yes, and I'm on the wrong side! :eek:
( I was west of intended course and was looking out the wrong side of the plane)

There was MANY more flub up's on the way to and from...

It was my long XC and I never want to go back!

Missa

Once when I was still a student pilot, PTK Ground cleared me to taxi from IFL East to 9R for departure. Spacey little me thinks, okay, 9R is on the right side of the field, so I started along the taxiway that goes behind 27R (IFL was on the East side of the field). Of course, 9R is on the right side, but from the other direction. So the controller barks out "739RX, where ARE you going?" Yikes!!! I was so embarrassed I couldn't even find the words to 'fess up and just apologised and asked for progressive taxi instructions.

That wasn't anywhere near my first time solo at PTK - I had a blanket signoff from my CFI to go there and do TOL practice. I had even landed on 9R before. I just wasn't thinking :confused:... guess it musta been a "gray moment". ;)

Liz

Missa said:
No, they were laughing their collective a$$es off... at me. :(
Missa

Since we're telling stories....

The FBO where I took my training had a Skyhawk (73891) that was brown and had, well, a large bird w/beak painted on it. Almost like an chicken, but maybe a hawk. We always called the plane "chickenhawk". Anyway, it was one of the two planes I flew most often during training (out of the four 172's), and as I recall, I soloed in '891. It really was an ugly paintjob.

Anyway, I did my short XC over to Anderson, Indiana from Blue Ash (Cincinnati). Tower cleared me to takeoff for the return flight back to Cincy. Just after I rotated, I heard tower say "Hey, 73891 - 'nice' paint job. You get that in Cincinnati?" with lots of laughter following. All I could do was laugh. I think I responded that he should see the paint job on the bigger planes. :rofl:

Anyway, you were a student pilot. I figure it this way.... if safety isn't compromised, and you give them a little laugh, they you've made their day.

Just my opinion....
;)

Well, I did all my confessing over at Marco's place....(there were plenty of tales). You'll just have to go over there to read 'em! I'm done with tellin' on myself :p

Now that I'm licensed, I don't screw up, ever get confused, or do a bad landing. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :D (Evidence may yet prove this to be contrary to the truth.... I'll deny it, of course!).

Hey, look, I found a picture of the terrifying N73891.

Whatta paint job :rofl:

(credit to the Blue Ash Aviation website for the picture)....

azure said:
Once when I was still a student pilot, PTK Ground cleared me to taxi from IFL East to 9R for departure. Spacey little me thinks, okay, 9R is on the right side of the field, so I started along the taxiway that goes behind 27R (IFL was on the East side of the field). Of course, 9R is on the right side, but from the other direction. So the controller barks out "739RX, where ARE you going?" Yikes!!! I was so embarrassed I couldn't even find the words to 'fess up and just apologised and asked for progressive taxi instructions.

That wasn't anywhere near my first time solo at PTK - I had a blanket signoff from my CFI to go there and do TOL practice. I had even landed on 9R before. I just wasn't thinking :confused:... guess it musta been a "gray moment". ;)

Liz

While I'm sure they get a lot more pilot mistakes than controller screwups, the controllers at PTK aren't perfect either. Coming into 9R one night on the ILS (MVFR conditions) I found that the tower was landing another airplane on 27L at the same time. Both of us pilots discovered the mistake and went around. The controller never even apologized, just sequenced us back into the pattern, this time to land one at a time in the same direction.

wsuffa said:

You think that's ugly? I think it's kinda kool!:cheerio:

wsuffa said:

(credit to the Blue Ash Aviation website for the picture)....

Oh man :eek: ... not having to fly an airplane with a paint job like that is one of the best arguments for owning instead of renting I've seen yet LOL.

On the plus side, it is certainly unique, and not doomed to looking like all the other planes. On our recent trip to Charleston, WV, my Mom was saying she thought she saw us landing. "A white plane with stripes in the middle." She was shocked when I took her flying, and she saw all the white planes with stripes down the middle sitting on the ramp!

Hey Skip, speaking of ugly paint jobs, remember the big yellow bird at Three Wings? All we had to say in terms of identification was "Big Bird" and the tower knew who we were.

Back