Mexico in the morning - corporate jet ride

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
whee!

I am off on a business trip in the morning and we get to take the corporate jet. Will I be forever spoiled for commercial travel now?

I am hoping to at least visit the pyramids Friday afternoon - we are fairly well packed with meetings during the days but they have dinners and other things to do in the evenings set up for us. We're staying at the Four Seasons - sweet!

woodstock said:
whee!

I am off on a business trip in the morning and we get to take the corporate jet. Will I be forever spoiled for commercial travel now?

I am hoping to at least visit the pyramids Friday afternoon - we are fairly well packed with meetings during the days but they have dinners and other things to do in the evenings set up for us. We're staying at the Four Seasons - sweet!

Sweat! You'll enjoy the ride and never want to travel with the cattle movers ever again.

Nice! Is this a company owned jet or fractional? Take lots of pictures on your trip. Share the ones of the jet! ;)

woodstock said:
Will I be forever spoiled for commercial travel now?

Yes, you will. Enjoy!

My company operates several aircraft on a regularly scheduled set of routes in the west. Given the choice between them (Embraer ERJ-135s) and the airlines, I'll fly the corporate shuttle every time. No getting to the airport 2 hours before flight time. No TSA. None of the hassles of commercial airline travel. Now, if we just flew everywhere I go...

Best trip I ever had to Europe was in a private G-IV to London.

Ghery said:
Yes, you will. Enjoy!

My company operates several aircraft on a regularly scheduled set of routes in the west. Given the choice between them (Embraer ERJ-135s) and the airlines, I'll fly the corporate shuttle every time. No getting to the airport 2 hours before flight time. No TSA. None of the hassles of commercial airline travel. Now, if we just flew everywhere I go...

Don't suppose those are some of the Intel Shuttles? :)

Be sure to subtly slip your interest in aviation into the conversation, you know the conversation that wouldn't have even started unless you brought it up! ;)

Gently and tactfully push for....oh, a half hour in the right seat?; I know I would lose all my inhibitions on the topic!!
If they balk, blaming 'the regs', suggest that S of the border the FAA can't reach them!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Gently and tactfully push for....oh, a half hour in the right seat?; I know I would lose all my inhibitions on the topic!!

That's what I was thinking. My brother actually got a little bit of right seat time-as well as stick time-in a PBY Catalina many years ago that way.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Be sure to subtly slip your interest in aviation into the conversation, you know the conversation that wouldn't have even started unless you brought it up! ;)

If they balk, blaming 'the regs', suggest that S of the border the FAA can't reach them!

I'm buds with the pilots - but I doubt they will let me fly our plane! ;)

AirBaker said:
Don't suppose those are some of the Intel Shuttles? :)

I worked the line for the Intel Shuttle at Hillsboro for a couple years. I bet I've seen some of you before. Have a blast in Mexico.

woodstock said:
whee!

Beth, I need your job. You're just having way too much fun ;)

Kaye said:
Beth, I need your job. You're just having way too much fun ;)

it is pretty cool.

have you seen Ray lately? I put us in the sched for Sunday... hope he's free!

Have a great trip Beth. While you're soaking up the sun after meetings, I'll be slaving away in the Sim in Orlando. Or soaking up other stuff afterwards!!

Dave

Yep, corporate jets are really nice to ride in. My last ride was in a King Air - full glass panel. Very nice. Hard to get used to the airlines after the high flying GA experience.

The King Air pilots were jealous that I owned a plane and all they get to do is fly someone elses. I found that interesting.

NC Pilot said:
The King Air pilots were jealous that I owned a plane and all they get to do is fly someone elses. I found that interesting.

I was flying in our corporate jet and got a very similar attitude from the guys up front. They talked about missing the pleasure of flying and actually getting to fly instead of watching the autopilot. They did talk about how bored they were all the time just flying somewhere and sitting in the lounge all day long waiting to go back home. Sounded kinda sad to me. But then I flew for a couple of years for a living in the military and they manged to drive the fun out of it as well.

I got a short ride in a Westwind a few years back on a repositioning flight. The company has since upgraded to Bombardier Challengers ... the day I get a ride in one of those, I'm going out to buy lotto tickets! :)

A lifestyle I could easily grow accustomed to!

Those who guessed are right - Intel shuttle. We also run a Beech 1900 between OLM and HIO. It's fun listening to fellow employees call it a "small plane". Whatever. :rolleyes: Wish it had more seats. I usually find out about the need to go to Oregon after it is filled with a long waiting list, so I drive. We're not allowed to use light aircraft for company business, so a 45 minute C-172 flight is out of the question. 2 1/2 hour drive, instead. :mad:

Have a great trip, Elizabeth.

smigaldi said:
They did talk about how bored they were all the time just flying somewhere and sitting in the lounge all day long waiting to go back home.

Depending on the time of their layover, why not go to a local FBO and rent a 172 for local sightseeing?

If you really want to be nice to the pilots, dont leave your trash everywhere when you get off like most passengers do.

I agree with what you have said. I am jealous of you also. I would love to own an aircraft. That is one of my aviation goals. I just hope it's not when gas is $6 a gallon and not feasiable to own. I am very fortunate to have a great friend that lets me fly his Mooney but it's not the same. Its almost like watching a strip tease! You want it for yourself but you can't quite have it. :)

And then, Brent, there are the hassles of certain corporate owners.

I was talking to someone from my former employer the other day - apparently the pilots ran out of embossed napkins w/the company logo. They need to order more. "The boss" hit the roof when the pricing came back at $0.25 per napkin (the boss wanted them to order in quantities of 100), but could go down to $0.11 per in quantities of 1,000. They've spent more than $200 in staff time arguing with "the boss" and justifying the price.

Let's see, that Gulfstream IV couldn't even taxi to the runway for $100.....

penny wise, pound foolish.

Bill Jennings said:
Depending on the time of their layover, why not go to a local FBO and rent a 172 for local sightseeing?

$$$. Remember, most pilots don't make a ton of money.

Sometimes the bennies are good, though... Knew some corporate folks with a King Air 200. Once in a while the boss would say "Take me to Denver and pick me up in three weeks. In the meantime, take the plane and have fun!" What would YOU do with a free King Air and three weeks?

flyingcheesehead said:

Sometimes the bennies are good, though... Knew some corporate folks with a King Air 200. Once in a while the boss would say "Take me to Denver and pick me up in three weeks. In the meantime, take the plane and have fun!" What would YOU do with a free King Air and three weeks?

I dunno. I couldn't afford 504 hours worth of gas! :eek:

flyingcheesehead said:
What would YOU do with a free King Air and three weeks?

Where is Jesse? Have him park it out by a local college....

"Ladies..."

flyingcheesehead said:

As long as I had the company credit card for fuel, I'm not sure I'd make it back in 3 weeks!

At one of my former jobs I did get to take our C-310 for a weekend, and I could take a 172 anytime I wanted as long as I paid for the gas. That was 7 or so years ago when it was cheap. I hit every fly-in and airshow in the midwest that summer. Ahhh, the good old days.

Brent Bradford said:
If you really want to be nice to the pilots, dont leave your trash everywhere when you get off like most passengers do.

I agree with what you have said. I am jealous of you also. I would love to own an aircraft. That is one of my aviation goals. I just hope it's not when gas is $6 a gallon and not feasiable to own. I am very fortunate to have a great friend that lets me fly his Mooney but it's not the same. Its almost like watching a strip tease! You want it for yourself but you can't quite have it. :)

we were really good! but we had a flight attendant to take care of us too.

I got to sit jump seat on takeoff and landing. actually could have stayed there the whole time but I wanted to play poker and have a drink. :D

I have to sort out my photos and also downsize them - I'll post them later!

story - pretty simple. the crew spoils the begeezus out of you! the jet is beautiful. when we were landing, we briefly entered total IMC. what was bizarre was to watch the turn indicator and see we were pretty well banked but feel NOTHING while sitting there. I can see how you can get yourself into trouble!

I got to do part of a day of sightseeing so I'll post those pics later too. One tip: Chapultepec Castle is SUPERB. really enjoyed it. you get great views of the city...

Let'sgoflying! said:
landing?? hopefully during the approach......and before mda/map!:eek:

yes yes, we were still about 3500-4000 feet up - but considering we were at 37K for a lot of the trip - that was fairly low!

I should have said "in descent"

Last edited:
Wait till you get to se St. Elmos Fire (and not the movie) I saw that everynow & then jumpseating w FedEx.

that sounds like a good reason to go up again!

forgot to mention - clearing customs is AWESOME. you just sit there on the jet, drinking mimosas (or bloody marys, take your pick) while the flight attendant collects your passports, goes through customs for you, gets them stamped en masse, and comes back. sweet!

I fly a King air -200 part time, it is always fun for me:goofy: Sat I had a trip to Indianapolis for the final 4, and the boss had two extra tickets, Did not know we would get to go to the game till we got to the hanger, total surprise. Put your cash on UCLA.
Joe

Back