Mexican ATC Tried To Kill Me (Again)

rwellner98

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rw2
Flying From Mexico

With photos and video at: http://leftbase.com/?p=1502

Santiago picked me up at about 9 to give me a ride to the airport. He’s a cool guy. Has lived in US, Mexico and France, trilingual. Flew ultralights for decades and finally got a private pilot license just recently and is a partner in a 182. He’s done tons of flying in Mexico, including a lot of cross country trips in ultralights, and we’ve been talking about destinations we might check out.

Got to the airport and finally met the owner of the hangar I’ve been keeping my plane in. Nice young guy named Abraham. He runs a spray operation and owns a couple grass strips near Puerto Vallarta that he says we can use anytime. That could be an interesting option!

The plan was three legs. First, Celaya to Saltillo. In Saltillo clear customs and get a final load of cheap fuel ($3.60 a gallon, about $1.50 a gallon cheaper than the US average). Then stop briefly in Laredo, TX to clear customs into the US. Finally, Austin, TX for a couple nights of visiting and music.

The weather gods smiled on me this trip with hundreds of miles of the best tail winds I’ve ever flown with. The Maule is about a 120kt aircraft. You might be able to go a little faster at full blast, but in a comfortable cruise that’s a good compromise to keep from burning fuel for no good reason. At higher altitudes you can’t get enough oxygen to go any faster anyway. From Celaya to Saltillo I had a few times where my ground speed was over 170kts, so a tailwind in excess of 50kts. Makes the flight a lot shorter for sure!

Arriving in Saltillo the control tower told me that winds were calm. I found this surprising given the winds aloft. I’ve also learned over the years not to trust ATC in Mexico when they give you a wind reading. I have had this happen all over Mexico. I don’t know if the official placement for the wind gauge is in the tower or the equipment breaks and no one notices, but people flying in Mexico should be advised to never trust the wind information given by the tower. Look for wind socks, smoke, flags or anything else you can think of for wind information, just don’t trust ATC.

Having survived another attempt by Mexican ATC to kill me, I departed for Laredo. Strong tail winds continued and I arrived nearly 30 minutes ahead of schedule, a shocking if not completely unprecedented occurrence in general aviation. I’ve complained about US Customs in the past. Least importantly they just always seem to be an odd combination of really, really bored and really, really full of themselves. Just unpleasant to interact with. More importantly, they have lost my paperwork then threatened me with a $5,000 fine. They have lost my amended arrival times and greeted me as I walked into the building with “It’s about time, I was just about the shred your paperwork”.

Given my previous complaints, I feel compelled to share my latest experience. The guys at Laredo this trip (notably, the location where I was threatened with a fine some time back) were fabulous. One came out on the ramp and explained the process to me courteously and quickly, the man at the desk was equally quick and pleasant. The entire thing was done in 10 minutes and everyone was very helpful.

The wildcard this trip would be the final leg to Austin. When I left Mexico there was a huge storm over the town. I knew that the storm would be gone by the time I got there, but there was a good chance that the weather would still be low clouds and strong winds. Plan B was to stay in Laredo overnight, but when I did my flight planning in Laredo it was clear that everything was going to be ok. The biggest challenge, as it turned out, would be selecting from the thousands of similar restaurants in Austin.

When I first came to Austin ten years ago I constantly heard people say that they regretted how Austin had changed that that it wasn’t the same city it was in the 80′s. One of my friends in San Miguel de Allende says something similar about when he moved out in the 70′s. Of course I never doubted them, but it’s really striking to me how much the town has change even in the past 10 years. I still like the city a lot (though not the heat!), but having walked around since arriving yesterday I have to say that it no longer feels “weird” in any meaningful way. Walking down 6th street I found restaurant after restaurant that were minor variations on a theme. All had extensive outdoor seating (because why sit inside and be comfortable when you can sit outside in the humidity and sweat while inhaling exhaust from the passing cars), all had well appointed bars, most had some southwest/texmex/fake mex kind of a thing. All were very well done, don’t get me wrong, but if the weirdness of Austin was mostly gone 10 years ago when the long-timers were commenting, it’s almost completely gone now.

Still a lovely (expensive/hot/crowded) city, but no longer weird.

Last edited:
...them trying to kill you was that they were calling for calm winds?

lol

...them trying to kill you was that they were calling for calm winds?

lol

Lol I was thinking the same thing.

Nice write up but a terrible title used only for getting more views lol. There was no attempted murder here, or even close.

You ever tried to land a tail dragger with 12G18kt cross winds when you're expecting calm? :)

But, yeah, not nearly as bad as the occasions that they've called 'calm' and it was really a 5-10kt quartering tail wind.

Yup, you can feel the winds when you're coming in, no biggie.

Sounds like a fun trip, I've always wanted to fly into MX, just worried about thieves and crooked govt workers. I've always had good luck just driving down in a hoopty.

You ever tried to land a tail dragger with 12G18kt cross winds when you're expecting calm? :)

But, yeah, not nearly as bad as the occasions that they've called 'calm' and it was really a 5-10kt quartering tail wind.

Welcome to being a pilot. Now quit being dramatic ...:rolleyes2:

Sounds like a fun trip, I've always wanted to fly into MX, just worried about thieves and crooked govt workers. I've always had good luck just driving down in a hoopty.

I've never had a single problem with corruption flying in Mexico. I know there has been a reputation in the past, but I've been down there for three years and haven't been so much as hit up for a bribe.

The process takes longer, mostly because it's more complicated but also because it's confusing if you don't speak spanish, but it's not because of crime. There are a good checklists from several organizations if you ever decide to make the trip.

As for the title. It was meant tongue in cheek, don't worry. It's just amusing how consistently wrong the wind reporting is there.

Edit: You know what I think it is, in the original post on my blog there is a video of the winds and a little quip not trusting them. Without that context I agree the title here looks like click-baiting. I changed the title, but it appears to not change the thread title.

Last edited:
I don't think Mexico is somewhere I would voluntarily fly. As long as you had fun.

I don't think Mexico is somewhere I would voluntarily fly. As long as you had fun.

That explains your profile pic. :)

Yeah, Mexico is terrible. I have to live in this town that's hundreds of years old, has a hundred or so restaurants walking distance from my house. The view from my terrace could be better also.

sma-150420.jpg

Joking aside, Mexico has a lot of poverty still (though doing better every year) and a lot of crime (in some places, quite serious). But there are fabulous places to visit and a warm and embracing culture that I've just fallen in love with.

For sure!

Ensenada and Rosarito have always been a favorite vacation, go to a few clubs in TJ, good times.

Now would I fly my 185 down there, no, not just no but hell no. Maybe a little two seater, but nothing that a cartel would want to steal and a 185, 200 series, 182 or maule, that's a target for getting your plane it's new life as a drug runner, I'll skip that :)

For sure!

Ensenada and Rosarito have always been a favorite vacation, go to a few clubs in TJ, good times.

Now would I fly my 185 down there, no, not just no but hell no. Maybe a little two seater, but nothing that a cartel would want to steal and a 185, 200 series, 182 or maule, that's a target for getting your plane it's new life as a drug runner, I'll skip that :)

I have been pleasantly surprised at the level of security at Mexican airports. I've never heard of a theft (though I suppose they might occur somewhere) and there is a military presence at pretty much any airport you would want to fly into. Ensenada is an example of such. From a crime perspective, your plane is probably safer there than at most quiet airports in the US.

We absolutely love Austin, but even in the five years we've lived in Texas, it's changed a LOT. The traffic is horrendous.

Still, there is no where else in the world where you can fly in, rent a car, drive into downtown, and hear (for absolutely no money, on a freaking Sunday night) the best live music, anywhere.

If you're into blues guitar, as I am, 6th Street simply can't be beat. Every other bar has some child prodigy trying to be the next Stevie Ray Vaughan, playing for drinks and tips. It's amazing.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the level of security at Mexican airports. I've never heard of a theft (though I suppose they might occur somewhere) and there is a military presence at pretty much any airport you would want to fly into. Ensenada is an example of such. From a crime perspective, your plane is probably safer there than at most quiet airports in the US.

If you stick with large airports, you'll be good. Cabo provided complementary prop locks and 24 hour security. La Paz had a military base on-site and we brought our own prop lock.

If you stick with large airports, you'll be good. Cabo provided complementary prop locks and 24 hour security. La Paz had a military base on-site and we brought our own prop lock.

I'm trying to think of a good reason why I would ever want to fly anywhere that something called a "prop lock" is needed? :dunno:

For sure!

Lol pretty sure they are well off without your 185:rofl:

Lol pretty sure they are well off without your 185:rofl:

Hint : they're not stealing it for the money, they steal it to haul "cargo" out of the desert. If they can do one load (even if the plane is trashed) it will be worth it to them.

I'm trying to think of a good reason why I would ever want to fly anywhere that something called a "prop lock" is needed? :dunno:

Because they have the best beaches within 1500 miles? (La Paz)

The AWOS tried to kill me today. It said winds were calm and they were really an 8kt direct crosswind.

Re: Flying From Mexico

Bite your tongue! Austin is as weird as ever, and please stop spreading such spurious rumors. Austin is still the place for "open-minded" hipsters, hipster wannabes, and malcontents to converge and express their own individuality by looking and talking exactly like everyone else there. They can further enjoy their time together by making judgemental observations about those they claim to be judgemental because they hold opinions that differ from their own.

The hill country is a beautiful place, but sometimes you have to sacrifice part of the body for the greater good, and Austin was lost some time ago. So as long as they feel that they have a safe place in Austin to be "enlightened" and "intellectual", then hopefully they will spend less time in other parts of our fair state, and we can actually get stuff done.

lol I live on an island, with 15 miles of white sand beach.

Gonna need more than that to make me risk my airplane.

Yeah, I've been to Texas beaches. What's the visibility in the water? 2, maybe 3 feet on a good day? :)

Yeah, I've been to Texas beaches. What's the visibility in the water? 2, maybe 3 feet on a good day? :)
Depends on conditions. The water is very clean here, but the bottom can get churned up by storms, and/or we might get seaweed.

So? I'm on the beach, not looking for shipwrecks. :)

We absolutely love Austin, but even in the five years we've lived in Texas, it's changed a LOT. The traffic is horrendous.

Still, there is no where else in the world where you can fly in, rent a car, drive into downtown, and hear (for absolutely no money, on a freaking Sunday night) the best live music, anywhere.

If you're into blues guitar, as I am, 6th Street simply can't be beat. Every other bar has some child prodigy trying to be the next Stevie Ray Vaughan, playing for drinks and tips. It's amazing.

I went to a conference in Austin a few months ago. I can say without a doubt, there are more bums per square mile in Austin than any other city I have visited.

No matter what ATC or whoever says, how's those waves on the lake, what about smokestacks? If that is falling short, what did the forecast say?

With the forecasts we have available for free, we should never be surprised on the average 3 hour flight. There may be no reporting at your destination, likely there is 15 miles away though. Yes, there can be differences not to far away. You also have storm potential.

Just saying, never be surprised, especially when high winds make the only runway unfavorable.

I don't trust any ATC except here in the U.S. Outside the CONUS I keep my head on a swivel and double check every clearance I get.

I don't trust any ATC except here in the U.S. Outside the CONUS I keep my head on a swivel and double check every clearance I get.
Not sure I even trust ATC here. Even less do I trust AWOS wind reports. Always check the sock, a flag, smoke, etc.

Try flying into Nashville and catching a cab down to Broadway between about 2nd and 4th street. Plenty of places with no cover and great music. The bands will occasionally introduce the members and often will be comprised of guys who have played on albums or the road with well known musicians.

Re: Flying From Mexico

Austin was mostly gone 10 years ago when the long-timers were commenting, it’s almost completely gone now.

As someone who works in Austin, I wish to MAKE IT NORMAL

RW2, you nailed it. Austin "used to be" a great place. When it had 200,000 people. Now that it is a multi-million metropolis with no new roads and 1.8 million more Californians, it is different. If you want the old "weird" Austin, you need to cross the river to the south part, shanty town with drugs and cross-dressers on every corner and of course the typical authentic food - taco trucks.
The downtown area has been transformed drastically thanks to developers buying out small businesses and building 50-story multi-million-dollar condos.
Jay is right, there is still some leftover good music on 6th street, though they are trying to shut that down too due to noise level violations. *shrug* Many of the live-music pubs are fighting pretty hard so we still have some places to go to listen to some great local musicians.

What is the point of owning an airplane if you don't want to fly somewhere new at least once in awhile?

Back