metal generating engine failure

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I was shown a sad case to day the owner found metal in the oil filter and decided to have the engine overhauled. It was near TBO anyway.
The engine was changed and every one was happy, until they found metal in the new engine..

Turns out, they forgot to flush the prop..

Glad it wasn't me.

Ouch! Was the cause of the metal coming from the old engine and therefore it was just residual metal in the prop which contaminated the new engine? Or was the metal coming from the prop all along?

Let’s hope they didn’t forget the oil cooler and hoses?

Ouch! Was the cause of the metal coming from the old engine and therefore it was just residual metal in the prop which contaminated the new engine? Or was the metal coming from the prop all along?
I don't know, I didn't stick around to find out.

My engine is out for Overhaul at Pinnacle Engines. Overhauling prop governor and 100% new hoses, and yup the prop hub is getting flushed.

Repair center Loree Air outside Sacramento just overhauled my engine and turbo mounts to like new. Shocked to see hidden decay in engine mounts not only in mine, but with many others they had underway.

Mount is also a frequently overlooked item. Pic below of overhauled mount next to the 4 corroded tubes which were replaced. This mount showed no signs of fairly significant corrosion.

IMG_0182.jpeg

Last edited:
My engine is out for Overhaul at Pinnacle Engines. Overhauling prop governor and 100% new hoses, and yup the prop hub is getting flushed.

Repair center Loree Air outside Sacramento just overhauled my engine and turbo mounts to like new. Shocked to see hidden decay in engine mounts not only in mine, but with many others they had underway.

Mount is also a frequently overlooked item. Pic below of overhauled mount next to the 4 corroded tubes which were replaced. This mount showed no signs of fairly significant corrosion.

View attachment 94123
It surprising what is found when things are actually looked at...

We did a firewall forward when we re-engined.

New:

Rubber engine mounts
Starter
Alternator
Vac pump
Prop governor
OIl hoses
Fuel hoses
Scat tubing
Soft baffling
All senders and transducers
Mags

Sent out for overhaul:

Fuel injection
Prop hub
Oil cooler
Metal engine mount, magnifluxed and repainted
Exhaust system
Gami injectors

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's stuff that I missed. All this stuff plus labor added up to nearly 1/2 of what the overhauled engine cost, but we now have a new airplane firewall forward.

It surprising what is found when things are actually looked at...

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's stuff that I missed. All this stuff plus labor added up to nearly 1/2 of what the overhauled engine cost, but we now have a new airplane firewall forward.

:yeahthat: Both great posts.

“Looks good to me”... and “It flew in here just fine”... Ostrich maintenance plan, don’t see it then not a problem.

Engine overhauls done once every 15-20-25 years require a lot more firewall forward attention. It will cost 50% more than actual engine O/H price.

Crazy, I see people using tattered looking old P-Leads because “yeah, they are 50 years old, but still tested good with an OHM meter”. Just saved $50.

Last edited:
Good time to have it Inspected and repaired as necessary.

That’s the way to do it right there! Exactly the way we used to back in the day. Seems like most are skimping now by only doing the minimum necessary. The last two owners I talked with about overall looked at me like I had a 3rd eyeball for suggesting such a complete overhaul. Whatever, they’ll pay more in the long run with more down time and a less dependable aircraft. So silly, the places some choose to save money. Then they turn right around and dump endless amounts into cosmetic upgrades and fancy avionics.

Back