Mesa AZ Hangar Space

dcmoser

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Doug Moser
I see most AZ airport hangars in the Phoenix area are full. If a person was looking for a hangar or t-shade near the Mesa area for December thru March what options are out there? I see Chandler and Falcon both have waiting lists, but I don't know if those lists are for permanent spots. Do these airports allow for transient parking for overnight or longer? I can make a few calls but thought I'd check here first. Thanks

Covered parking, either enclosed or overhead, in the Valley is pretty much non-existent. The only field I know of that might have covered tiedowns is GEU, which is on the other side of the metro area from FFZ.

Aside: Chandler's hangar wait list is literally 20 years.

I'm in a covered tie-down at DVT. I know with SDL closing, spaces are becoming limited, but I see a few open covered tie-downs in my section. They're going fast, though. Every time I'm at the airport I see new planes parked there, which I'm assuming are refugees from SDL.

I thought SDL was just getting runway work, or are they closing it entirely and I’m thinking of somewhere else?

The shaded tie-down list at KFFZ has normally been a few months in the summer but gets longer during the winter when the snowbirds arrive. If you put yourself on now possibly would have a spot come December.

Covered parking, either enclosed or overhead, in the Valley is pretty much non-existent. The only field I know of that might have covered tiedowns is GEU, which is on the other side of the metro area from FFZ.

Aside: Chandler's hangar wait list is literally 20 years.

Yes, when I signed up some years ago and asked about the wait, they literally suggested I put it in my son’s name!

You gotta know someone to get hangar in the east valley.

I am in need of a hangar, covered tie-down or tie down anywhere in the greater phoenix area. I am ideally based in Chandler but it is light years away on a waiting list.

Even uncovered tiedown is waitlisted at Chandler? I feel like I usually see some open on north ramp. If so, they could probably convert some of transient parking as I never see that utilized fully.

you'd think with all the demand for hangars some would be under construction right now

It’s complicated by regulations. Chatting with the guy at a local FBO. They’d like to put in a restaurant into existing building, but can’t even do that. Been stalled for years because county officials won’t give green light.

Breaking ground on new buildings has to be much worse.

If a permanent easement on airport land could be bought I’d invest in a heartbeat on building hangars.

I think even building a set of hangars and selling them like condos so a person could own or rent out would be a great way to get them built.

Back