Mercury 13 on Netflix

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
I was covering for a science teacher today at school and the teacher did not leave plans for the class. I looked on Netflix for something to show and came across this documentary called "Mercury 13." It is terrific! It's about the 13 women pilots who tried to be astronauts but were denied the opportunity by the government. I learned a ton watching it and it contains lots of great GA related stories. In addition these 13 women are an inspiration to all us pilots and they are terrific advocates for the privilege of flying. You can just tell how much these women love flying and appreciate how fortunate they were/are to be a pilot. They shared many stories of why they became pilots and all the amazing work they did flying around the country during a time when men held all the positions of power.

I almost never reccomend things for others to watch but this was so good I figured others would really like it too. I plan on watching it with my nieces when they get older and any future daughter I may have. I'd certainly give it a watch!

Saw that the other night. Worth watching. "So why do you want to go to the moon?" "If you had eight kids wouldn't you want to go to the moon?" :)

Saw that the other night. Worth watching. "So why do you want to go to the moon?" "If you had eight kids wouldn't you want to go to the moon?" :)

That line certainly made me laugh!

There were a couple of those old gals that still had their looks and I would have loved for any of them to be my CFI.

There were a couple of those old gals that still had their looks and I would have loved for any of them to be my CFI.

I totally agree. I'd love to run into them at an airport and just listen to the stories they have. I'm sure they would make terrific CFI's even at their age today!

If ever get a chance to visit with Wally Funk, do it. She’s a hoot to spend time with. We’ve had her at our EAA chapter meeting and had a blast.

I was covering for a science teacher today at school and the teacher did not leave plans for the class. I looked on Netflix for something to show and came across this documentary called "Mercury 13." It is terrific! It's about the 13 women pilots who tried to be astronauts but were denied the opportunity by the government. I learned a ton watching it and it contains lots of great GA related stories. In addition these 13 women are an inspiration to all us pilots and they are terrific advocates for the privilege of flying. You can just tell how much these women love flying and appreciate how fortunate they were/are to be a pilot. They shared many stories of why they became pilots and all the amazing work they did flying around the country during a time when men held all the positions of power.

I almost never reccomend things for others to watch but this was so good I figured others would really like it too. I plan on watching it with my nieces when they get older and any future daughter I may have. I'd certainly give it a watch!

Thanks for the heads up. Watched it last night. Enjoyed it very much. I was unaware of this. Astronaut Collins (think that was her name) inviting and recognizing them at her launch was commendable. That there is a group of strong women! Hats off to them.

Thanks for the head’s up.

Right up Karen’s alley. She says she always wanted to be an astronaut, but her mom told her “Girls can’t be astronauts!”

Back