Memory Stick; adequate backup?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is a USB memory 'stick' a reasonably reliable backup for home computing?

Let's say you...have a "family member" that refuses to learn how to burn a CD or won't plug into the external HD you bought for that purpose. And every time there is a data loss, the usual angst follows. So you want to make the backup process easier - and plugging a memory stick in & copying files that way might be something that you could convince the F.M to do.

I see they are available over 16gB now.

I'd say it's better than nothing. If you end up doing the memory stick-work, why not just do the regular backups?

I'm no computer pro, but I'd trust CDs least of all. They seem more fragile than the other options.

Yeah, it's fine. I wouldn't trust a USB stick with my only copy of the files...but it'll do just fine as a backup copy. As a bonus you can also take it offsite.

You might also want to look into a service like Carbonite or JungleDisk. That way it'll make constant backups (on the internet) and you won't ever have to worry about a manual process.

I find memory sticks much more reliable than CDs- I only had one memory stick failure some years back.

If you're constantly online, you can also set up a Mozy account for a couple Gb to automatically back up daily. For unlimited personal use, I think it's five bucks a month.

Buy an external HD and Acronis 11. Tell Acronis to automatically make an incremental backup every week night at say, 8:00 p.m. or when the system is booted thereafter.

You can recover any version, before the virus or the corruption hit- just use the last know working version.

Stop buying single HD desktops. Always equip them with two drives just in case it's the HD gone south.

Desktop or laptop? Desktop, install another HDD and set it up for automatic backup.

Are you backing up just data (My Docs, My Pictures, etc) or doing an image?

Have ordered a 32gB USB flashdrive ("memory stick")
The other factor I neglected is.. this has to be an easy method for me even though someone else is doing the backups. And it has to be something that will get done. The other methods weren't getting done.

Stop buying single HD desktops. Always equip them with two drives just in case it's the HD gone south.

Good advice (for desktops, as others have noted), but the better option here is dual drives with RAID 1 or RAID 10 mirroring enabled. This doesn't completely negate the value of backups, but it does provide immediate data redundancy and good fault tolerance (in case one drive fails).

In fact, this very configuration saved over 100GB of data for me recently when one of my drives failed. The RAID driver I use even warned me when SMART events began occurring warning me of the impending failure in time for me to order the replacement before it failed. The replacement arrived one day after the failing drive finally went Tango Uniform.

RAID is definitely a time and data saver. :)

For laptops, the best option remains the external drive or online services.

Have ordered a 32gB USB flashdrive ("memory stick")
The other factor I neglected is.. this has to be an easy method for me even though someone else is doing the backups. And it has to be something that will get done. The other methods weren't getting done.

I'm not sure I see how changing the physical media format (card vs. external hard drive) will make a difference. What's the "family member's" reluctance to doing the backups?

I'm not sure I see how changing the physical media format (card vs. external hard drive) will make a difference. What's the "family member's" reluctance to doing the backups?

one is within arm's reach, does not need to be powered up or switched on, does not make any noise, is portable and requires no "male relative" input (my pref). The other is not so!

one is within arm's reach, does not need to be powered up or switched on, does not make any noise, is portable and requires no "male relative" input (my pref). The other is not so!

Just for the sake of clarity... :)

This external drive meets those criteria: No power switch, silent, portable and no more technically demanding than a USB flash memory stick. It also has 15x the storage of the stick you bought and at ~$200 is likely very competitive to the 32GB memory stick, too.

However, the drive won't quite fit in a pants pocket like the memory stick. :)

Mirroring works great. Standard use of drives on Tandem systems when I worked there (1983-1995). If you really want fault tolerance, we had two drive controllers talking to each drive, and each controller was connected to a pair of processors. No single point of failure, swap the failed part without shutting the system down. A little more expensive than your average PC, however. :p

I've only come across a couple of laptops with dual HD capability, so RAID isn't a viable option for Dave unless he happens to own one of those unusual models (and further, that it has a RAID controller built in).

As for flash drives, I'm not wildly enthusiastic about using them for backup, mainly because they're easy to lose, which also introduces security concerns unless you encrypt the data. They also can be accidentally overwritten (although some have write-protect switches, which is a good idea if you're using it for backup).

When thinking about backup in general, we have to consider several different scenarios from which we might need to recover:

• Data loss due to human error (accidental deletion, etc.)
  • Viruses, spyware, and so forth
  • Windows craps out
  • Physical loss of the computer itself
  • Hard drive failure
  • Catastrophe such as fire, flood, etc.
Recovery, too, has different aspects. From the user's point of view, the recovery isn't finished until the user is back in business. So one important aspect of recovery is minimizing downtime.

Reducing downtime is the main reason I prefer Casper to most other hard drive backup solutions. Casper works from within Windows, does not require rebooting, does not require extracting a proprietary archive, can be scheduled to run automatically, and produces a bootable clone. Upon primary hard drive failure (or certain other problems, such as Windows crapping out), the backup drive is simply swapped into the computer, and the user's back in business. Downtime is reduced to maybe 15 minutes.

But Casper's not a panacea. Some of the possible pitfalls of using Casper as a backup solution include malware infecting the backup drive (that happened to me once, by the way), a power event or controller failure taking both drives out simultaneously, the physical loss or destruction of the computer, or a catastrophe such as a fire or flood. These reasons are why it's also important to do data backups, preferably using an online service.

With online backup so cheap these days (Carbonite charges about fifty bucks a year for unlimited storage), I really can't think of a good reason not to use it if you have high-speed Internet. I have used FilesAnywhere and Mozy and I like them both; and I'm presently testing Carbonite, about which I have mixed feelings so far.

There are, of course, other solutions, such as external hard drives, RAIDed NAS devices (they've really come down in price), flash drives, DVDs, and so forth; as well as Casper, which does allow recovery of corrupted or accidentally deleted files from the clone, but only until the next cloning occurs. But only online backup protects you in the event of fire, flood, or loss of the computer. In addition, your data can be recovered from anywhere an Internet connection can be had.

In the case of laptops, another consideration is that they often travel; and a hard drive failure or Windows crash that renders the system inoperable can be a really serious problem for a user who's away from home on business. A system that allows a user who's traveling to quickly get up and running can be a godsend.

Bearing that in mind, my preferred backup plan for laptops that actually travel is as follows:

1. Use an online backup service like FilesAnywhere, Mozy, or Carbonite to back up irreplaceable data. For travelers, FilesAnywhere is my favorite because of the ease of retrieving files from, well, anywhere using the Web interface, even if the laptop is lost or destroyed.
  2. Purchase a new hard drive that is compatible with the installed drive, and install it in an external enclosure.
  3. Use Casper to periodically clone the hard drive to the external drive, and then place the external drive in a pouch and put it in the laptop case.
When I do this for clients, I instruct them to periodically refresh the backup, and I tape a note to the external drive explaining that it's a clone of the internal drive. This way if the internal HD crashes while the client's on the road, even the lamest computer tech should be able to swap the drive and get the client back in business.

The main pitfall, of course, is that users hate to do backups I try to get them into the habit of setting aside a particular time to plug in the external drive and refresh the clone (it only takes a few minutes once the first one is made), but most clients get lackadaisical about it. Nonetheless, even an old clone will allow the machine to be booted again; and if the data's safely backed up online, that can be retrieved, as well.

I know this is a touchy subject for some: I've actually witnessed skinny-armed geeks coming close to blows over what is the "best" backup solution. I'm way too old for those arguments. So what I said above is just my opinion, nothing more. But so far, it's worked well for me, all-in-all.

-Rich

Last edited:
I've only come across a couple of laptops with dual HD capability, so RAID isn't a viable option for Dave unless he happens to own one of those unusual models (and further, that it has a RAID controller built in).

Bruce isn't talking about RAID, he's talking about imaging the drive to a second clone.

My old Compaq Armada has a docking station that can hold a second hard drive.

In any case, you can write the image to an external USB drive.

Oh, I know Bruce was referring to imaging using Acronis, not RAID. I'm sorry if it appeared I was ragging on Bruce. I was referring to comments about RAID in general -- which are pretty much irrelevant to the topic of backing up most laptops -- not to the good doctor's good advice.

Don't get me wrong: I like Acronis and use it rather often. For my average clients, however, I still prefer creating a bootable clone using Casper, despite the drawbacks (possibility of copying virii, etc.), for the reasons previously mentioned.

I also find that my clients are more likely to actually use Casper because once it's configured, all they have to do is click a single icon on the desktop (and plug in the external drive, in the case of a laptop). It can also run as a scheduled task within Windows, but that's sometimes impractical on a laptop that actually travels.

Of course, an even more comprehensive solution would be to do both cloning (for reduced downtime) and imaging (for finer control over backup content), as well as online data backup (to protect against loss or destruction of the computer).

But realistically, I'm pretty thrilled when ordinary users do any sort of decent backup, because most of them don't until after they experience their first data disaster (and get the bill for the data recovery). After that first experience, all but the dumbest embrace redundant backup strategies with the zeal of a convert.

Rich

Not really relevant to this discussion, but here it is anyway. I attended the first of the Holiday parties Wednesday night, and the goodie bag that everyone got on exit included an 8 Gig USB memory "stick" that is about 2x the size of my index finger nail. Incredible! It had to be rubber-cemented to a card so it didn't get thrown out with the packing papers.

-Skip

There's more than enough inexpensive harddrives which are USB connected which would serve well as backups and can be dedicated to that PC. Also, a harddrive has more capacity than a stick and is generally cheaper per gigabyte. I have seen USB devices as small as a shirt pocket still with a lot of capacity.
Go harddrive. I wouldn't trust a memory stick for long term storage.

Back