Meeting my DPE

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
So,

I'm meeting my DPE for the first time to discuss my upcoming IR checkride.

This will be a Q and A and get to know each other session. I've never met the guy and haven't had a checkride experience in a long time.

Any idea what I should ask?

He comes highly recommended and seems like a nice and knowledgeable person from a phone conversation.

Ask him if there's anything over the PTS stuff that he'd like you to bring. Ask his weight and if he intended to bring any baggage along so you can do the W&B (these two questions were kind of my impetus to strike up a conversation with the guy who had just come back from doing another checkride).

Sometimes they'll offer up to let you plan your flight in advance of getting there. Also sometimes they'll tip their hand as to how they conduct their rides. We figured there was a strong possibility that I'd do approaches at the departure airport (which had several different ones: ILS, 2 GPS, a VOR, ADF (which I wasn't equipped for). Mike tipped his hand that we'd actually do all our approaches at that airport. Mostly he talked about how excited he was to fly in the Navion.

DPE's have their own list of all the things you need to know to take their ride, and they'll brief you on it before the ride. Just listen, take notes, and wait until the DPE is done with his/her spiel to ask questions about anything you didn't understand. Unless the examiner accidentally skips a line in his/her checklist, there shouldn't be anything which wasn't covered, only the chance that you didn't understand what s/he said.

I'd say aside from the obvious PTS special emphasis areas, are there any areas that you personally put extra emphasis on?

What are the areas you see most students struggle with?

What plates should I print up for the ride?

What order would you like to shoot these approaches?

Back