medicine and the Flying Fortress

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
An interesting article (long, though) about how the B-17 has affected medical treatment today - the checklist.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/12/10/071210fa_fact_gawande

Matt

edit: I just read the article again - I guess what surprised me most is that something as simple as a checklist hasn't been used earlier or more often. Many companies have made the switch to procedure based operations, but there are still so many fields where this idea would benefit.

Last edited:
Excellent article Matt. I'm forwarding it to the chief intensivist of our children's hospital. Thanks!

Thank you for the link.. Very interesting..

I am sure most of us know someone who has developed an infection in a hospital and maybe even someone who didn't make it out because of it. Unfortunately I do.

It seems almost criminal that something so simple and that has been proven to save lives is ignored by most hospitals !

If I believed in conspiracy theories I would think that the pharmaceutical companies and the manufactures of medical products would rather that this simple profitless technique not be used. Or could it simply be that the hospitals main goal is not necessarily to save every life.

An interesting article (long, though) about how the B-17 has affected medical treatment today - the checklist.

Matt

Verrry interesting.

It supports the old football saying (which I think is applicable in many situations): it's all about blocking and tackling.

Great stuff! Some people in soaring are undisciplined about checklists. I believe it's due to the idea that gliders are simple, the entire undertaking is supposed to be about fun, and using checklists for such a simple thing makes you look dumb. Whatever the reason, it's irrational to NOT do them yet the hop in and go method continues to kill people. This article gives many great examples of the effectiveness of checklists and I will be forwarding it on to many.

Matt

edit: I just read the article again - I guess what surprised me most is that something as simple as a checklist hasn't been used earlier or more often. Many companies have made the switch to procedure based operations, but there are still so many fields where this idea would benefit.

Great stuff! Some people in soaring are undisciplined about checklists. I believe it's due to the idea that gliders are simple, the entire undertaking is supposed to be about fun, and using checklists for such a simple thing makes you look dumb. Whatever the reason, it's irrational to NOT do them yet the hop in and go method continues to kill people. This article gives many great examples of the effectiveness of checklists and I will be forwarding it on to many.

During my BFR this summer the CFI commented that he thought we were in an airliner with all the checklist reading I was doing. Hey, I've only been flying 7 years. I don't have it memorized. :D

Back