Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
As seen on AOPA:

Medication update: FAA changes Nyquil-use guidelines
By Gary Crump
I’ve commented before on the evolving policies coming out of Washington regarding the whole spectrum of medical certification, particularly in the area of medications usage. The only new update I have for you this month is on a commonly “self-prescribed” over-the-counter cold treatment, Nyquil. Nyquil is used to treat the symptoms of the common cold, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. This popular medication contains ingredients that can be sedating, and include dextromethorphan, pseudoephedrine, acetaminophen, and doxylamine.

The FAA’s guidelines for use of this medication have changed, and now require a wait time of 60 hours after the last use before flying. This is pretty conservative, even for the FAA, so I suspect that a recent aircraft accident investigation may have turned up the presence of high amounts of these compounds, and there was found to be a possible causal relationship that could have been a contributing factor. It’s also possible that medical literature has been published that the FAA caught wind of that points the finger at these particular ingredients as being more suspect for adverse side effects.

During the cold and flu season that we’re having this winter, just be aware that many of the over-the-counter products have the potential for side effects that may not be conducive to flying

When I have a cold bad enough that I need NyQuil, there's no way I'd fly for a few days afterward anyways.

I know a King Air accident, many years ago. Pilot was self medicating for cold and stuffed head. And he flew anyway. Same pilot was being treated for heart issues and meds that he did not tell the AME about the other doctor visits. And he flew anyway. Chief pilot and single pilot operations. A combination of the heart issues and meds plus the over the counter cold meds tripped the heart once too many times. Killed many.

Once we have the medical in our pocket, it is only our personal integrity that governs our actions at self grounding when we are not fit to fly for the common cold or flu. But when you have already lied to the AME you have no integrity.

Result, we are now two pilot operations, and you have to get your flight medical from the company doc.

I know a King Air accident, many years ago. Pilot was self medicating for cold and stuffed head. And he flew anyway. Same pilot was being treated for heart issues and meds that he did not tell the AME about the other doctor visits. And he flew anyway. Chief pilot and single pilot operations. A combination of the heart issues and meds plus the over the counter cold meds tripped the heart once too many times. Killed many.

Once we have the medical in our pocket, it is only our personal integrity that governs our actions at self grounding when we are not fit to fly for the common cold or flu. But when you have already lied to the AME you have no integrity.

Result, we are now two pilot operations, and you have to get your flight medical from the company doc.

CHEAPSKATES !!!!

Really.....Like it costs a lot for a King Air co-pilot! Of all the expenses involved with flying a King Air, a co-pilot is WAY down the list in terms of expense.

It amazes me how cheap some operations are. Yet others, are so professional. And, I've worked for both.

CHEAPSKATES !!!!

Really.....Like it costs a lot for a King Air co-pilot! Of all the expenses involved with flying a King Air, a co-pilot is WAY down the list in terms of expense.

It amazes me how cheap some operations are. Yet others, are so professional. And, I've worked for both.

The extra seat was often filed with company pax. It had departed full, and left 1/2 the workforce pax at another location before moving on.

But I think you miss the point about lack of personal integrity in the pilot. He was the Chief Pilot and could have called DNIF and called in another pilot to make the run.

Last edited:
I had no idea that Nyquil was so dangerous that you need to be off of it for over 2 days before flying. I mean, we take it so that we can get to work and spend the day being productive.

The difference between NyQuil and DayQuil is that the latter substitutes a decongestant for the antihistamine. However, the other ingredients are the same including Dextromathorphan which has dizziness and drowsiness as a side effect.

Does anyone know where you can find an FAA list of medications that require a waiting time? I tried to find where the FAA lists 60 hours as a requirement for Nyquil, but came up empty. All I could find was the AOPA article stating the FAA had changed there policy, but couldn't find the actual policy from the FAA.

Ryan

I had no idea that Nyquil was so dangerous that you need to be off of it for over 2 days before flying. I mean, we take it so that we can get to work and spend the day being productive.
Many meds have warning labels on them. Many people just ignore them. I'd wager selfmedication is a major cause of auto accidents. And in some jurisdictions, police have been charging people with OUI for over the counter and prescription drug use.

I can understand 8 hours, but 60? Of course, if you factor in the reason the meds are being taken, I can see an extra day or two. The effects of Nyquil, I just don't see the need to be so long. I can' t feel much in the way of after effects even after 3 hours. Add another 5-7 hours to be sure, but why 60?

I can understand 8 hours, but 60? Of course, if you factor in the reason the meds are being taken, I can see an extra day or two. The effects of Nyquil, I just don't see the need to be so long. I can' t feel much in the way of after effects even after 3 hours. Add another 5-7 hours to be sure, but why 60?
Three hours after taking Nyquil I'm unconcious. Sometime's it's a race from the medicine cabinet to the bed.

^ yeah i've had similar experiences

I think 24 hours ought to be sufficient though. 60 seems ridiculous. I'd like to see this backed up by some actual data. It should not be that hard to give 20 people nyquil, then test them on reaction times and memory 12 hrs after, 24 hrs after, 36 hrs after...

Yeah - let's get Johnny Fever to take the test, like when he did the sobriety test on WKRP.

It's actually not just Nyquil, Read in Midwest Flyer Magazine that the FAA has changed their guidelines from 2x the dosing interval to 5x the dosing interval. So, if the dose is for 6 hours, before they said wait 12 hours, and now they say wait 30 hours. So if Nyquil has a 12 hour dose, that would account for the 60 hour wait time.
by Gregory J. Reigel
Attorney At Law
According to the latest edition of the Federal Air Surgeon’s Medical Bulletin, the FAA has revised the dosing interval standard (the time between taking medicine with known side effects until going flying) to reflect a longer waiting time. The standard has been increased from two to five dosing intervals.

Last edited:
Three hours after taking Nyquil I'm unconcious. Sometime's it's a race from the medicine cabinet to the bed.

One of the reasons I love that stuff when I have a cold. And, it works.

When I have a cold the last thing I want to do is fly. I don't see an issue for me with this new guidance.

Back