Medical with autism spectrum disorder?

P

ProbablyAutistic

I'm almost certain that I have level 1 ASD (what used to be called Asperger's), but I am not diagnosed. I would like to get a private, and eventually commercial, pilot certificate, and be able to fly outside the US (so BasicMed wouldn't be ideal).

Getting an autism diagnosis would be helpful for a few reasons, but I don't want to give up the ability to get a pilot certificate in the future.

Would Level 1 ASD with no other medical issues be an impediment in getting a Class 3 or Class 2 medical? If I do get a diagnosis, would it help to get a medical certificate first, even if I won't be flying for several years at least?

I'm almost certain that I have level 1 ASD (what used to be called Asperger's), but I am not diagnosed. I would like to get a private, and eventually commercial, pilot certificate, and be able to fly outside the US (so BasicMed wouldn't be ideal).

Getting an autism diagnosis would be helpful for a few reasons, but I don't want to give up the ability to get a pilot certificate in the future.

Would Level 1 ASD with no other medical issues be an impediment in getting a Class 3 or Class 2 medical? If I do get a diagnosis, would it help to get a medical certificate first, even if I won't be flying for several years at least?
Try the search function for this forum....

There have been several past discussions about ASD and obtaining a FAA Medical Certificate.

And to get the info straight from our esteemed AME's: Pinging Doctor Lou, Doctor Bruce, and WingmanMed for their input. @lbfjrmd @bbchien @WingmanMed

I've heard that being on medication for it can be disqualifying.

Do a search here on the forum. Once you have the diagnosis, and are on meds, your odds of getting a medical go WAY down. Now, health first, and if you need the diagnosis because you're having problems, get it and worry about flying later. If, on the other hand, you're just curious...getting the diagnosis will not help you in your flying career.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back