Medical Study

Q

Questioning

Does participation in a medical study trigger any medical certificate issues? Does it need to be disclosed at all? Questioning generally but here are specifics.

The study is of genetic markers for a debilitating disease. The study participant does not have the disease but has a genetic marker. Periodic blood, MRI, etc tests are done. So are tests of memory and daily functioning. The results of some tests are available to the participant. Those are all within normal parameters. The results of other tests are not available to the participant.

The participant does not have the disease and shows no symptoms. This is not a clinical trial of anything and the participant receives no treatment.

Sounds like if it was in the past three years, you report the visit in question 19. You have no medical condition therefore nothing to report in question 18.

This is a good question. My belief is that a study that doesn't involve ingesting or getting injected with anything would be ok. Whereas a drug trial would ground you. Hopefully one of the AMEs will know.

This is a good question. My belief is that a study that doesn't involve ingesting or getting injected with anything would be ok. Whereas a drug trial would ground you. Hopefully one of the AMEs will know.
I guess the concern is, does the mere fact that being involved in a disease study trigger an FAA inquiry to "prove to us you don't have it."

Agree. Hope one of the AMEs can help. I sure can't.

I guess the concern is, does the mere fact that being involved in a disease study trigger an FAA inquiry to "prove to us you don't have it."

Agree. Hope one of the AMEs can help. I sure can't.

And your concern is why I probably won't be signing up for any studies.

And your concern is why I probably won't be signing up for any studies.
What BradZ said. What I would be worrying about is future insurance redlining based on the result.
This has got to be legislatively fixed as we can tell more, and more....

What BradZ said. What I would be worrying about is future insurance redlining based on the result.
This has got to be legislatively fixed as we can tell more, and more....
Thank you. If the results indicate the disease, I'm not really concerned about what happens from an FAA standpoint. Flying is over.

So, just disclose the visits normally? What if the AME asks why tests were being done away from home? I'm not going to lie about it, so my biggest concern is not the tests but, as mentioned, "oh, I'm in a study to see if I develop a debilitating disease," triggering a deeper inquiry.

Best bet is simple, don't do the drug testing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back