Medical/Student Cert Not Found in FAA DB

NickC99

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NickC99
Has anyone had an issue with the FAA not having a record of their medical/student cert? I got my 3rd class medical in the NY/NJ area in 2011, and now I'm on IACRA attempting to apply for my private cert. Their DB continues to show that my cert number is invalid when I attempt to insert it into my IACRA profile.

I just spoke with IACRA tech support, and they say they have no record whatsoever of my cert in any DB. When I search the online airmen records, I only find my name but without a cert or address. Tech support suggests submitting my 8710 via paper and calling the local FSDO about my issue. I've had the cert 3 years, so I doubt calling the issuing doc will be fruitful. I'm also in FL now, so I can't go knocking on his door.

I fear that the doc never submitted my paperwork to the FAA. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. :dunno:

How old were you on the date it was issued?

One way to fix the pilot certificate issue would be to go to the FSDO and get another.

How old were you on the date it was issued?

One way to fix the pilot certificate issue would be to go to the FSDO and get another.

I was well under 40, so there's no reason it should be expired. Tech support says the medical should still be valid nonetheless.

The closest FSDO is in Orlando. It's a four-hour drive, so that's an option but not my first.

Your student pilot certificate only lasted 24 months. Your medical is still good.

Your medical doesn't have a certificate number. You can separate them. Go to the FSDO or maybe your AME.

Good memory to MAKG1. Any nit-picking issue if he soloed after his first student pilot certificate had expired?

Your student pilot certificate only lasted 24 months. Your medical is still good.

This is not correct. The SPC and medical expirations now match.

§61.19 Duration of pilot and instructor certificates.

(b) Student pilot certificate.

(1) For student pilots who have not reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.

Here is an interesting question.

Did he legally solo with a student pilot certificate that the FAA has no record of?

I'd say in the grand scheme, he didn't have a valid certificate. However, I'd wager the blame would be on the AME for not filing the paperwork.

Did you opt out of the database? Not everyone is in the public database.

-Paul

This is not correct. The SPC and medical expirations now match.

§61.19 Duration of pilot and instructor certificates.

(b) Student pilot certificate.

(1) For student pilots who have not reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.

Good catch. Did it recently change?

There's still some apparently incorrect info on the FAA's website. This FAA page, for example, says that the student pilot certificate expires after 24 months and must be replaced:

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/student_cert/

So does this 2006 Student Pilot Guide that is still available on the FAA site (see question 7 on page 15):

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/faa-h-8083-27a.pdf

I may try calling the AME today. My student cert should still be good as the regs say 60 months. I have the cert signed by the AME in hand and I paid via card, so it's traceable. I think this is just a paperwork issue. I don't think anyone will say I wasn't legal.

What's interesting is that I called the FAA medical office about my medical cert and they confirmed it was valid. They also said it may not appear in the public db until I got a private cert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It changed in 2009, not long after the change in medical certificate durations.

Now that's an interesting point. I got my student cert just prior to the Oct 2011 effective date. I wonder if that applies retroactively. I also wonder if anyone will catch it or care.

Edit: I misread. I'm good as I got the cert in 2011 and the extension was effective in 2009.

Last edited:
Now that's an interesting point. I got my student cert just prior to the Oct 2011 effective date. I wonder if that applies retroactively. I also wonder if anyone will catch it or care.

Edit: I misread. I'm good as I got the cert in 2011 and the extension was effective in 2009.

Doesn't it say that it went effective in October 2009, not 2011?

Edit. You beat me to it too. Ha

One of my prior medicals, I think the second one I ever got, never showed up in the FAA registry. Never knew why, and nothing was ever said anything about it. The next one showed up.

Did you opt out of the database? Not everyone is in the public database.

-Paul

Everybody is in the DATABASE. The FAA refuses to allow opt-outs of anything but the mailing address.

No. I didn't opt out of the db as far as I know.

You would know if you did.

I opted out of having my address listed, but can still be found if you leave the state and everything but the name fields blank, when you click on mine it just shows "no address"

As for the OP, sounds like your AME screwed up, Id start there.

Update: I called the AME, and the office said he retired. But, they're mailing me my file.

I called the Orlando FSDO, and they couldn't find anything on me a referred me to Airmen Certification. They couldn't find anything either and referred me to Aeromedical. Aeromedical confirmed my medical and student cert are valid. They didn't know why it wasn't in the database but submitted a ticket to get my information put into the proper DB. It should be done by the end of the week.

Final word: I'm legal. My checkride will be coming up in the next couple of weeks, so I should be good to go. :)

Everybody is in the DATABASE. The FAA refuses to allow opt-outs of anything but the mailing address.

I just did a search on my last name and my state and city. My wife, who did not opt-out is there. I opted out and I'm not there at all.

Had the same issue, could be one of a few reasons. You chose not to have your address publicly listed, you may have been underage at the time you received it, or it could still be too early. Try to search your name without any city or state, this is what I did and i came up. If you do see yourself that way, you can write the FAA and tell them to make you public on the inquiry, then you should show up after that! Hope that helps!

I just did a search on my last name and my state and city. My wife, who did not opt-out is there. I opted out and I'm not there at all.

Yes you are

Try again but only put your first and last name in, leave everything else blank.

Are you using the one here:

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

I have been requesting opt-out since they got the privacy act exemption. I've written up and down the FAA and even the DOT IG. They FAA maintains they are not required to remove anything but the mailing address.

Check the spelling and try spaces and such. I have a similar problem because my license shows mchxxx and my medical shows mc hxxx (with a space). A real pain on the butt to get corrected too.

Can't find mine either. I found my Dad's info, though.

put your first and last name in....leave everything else blank. You're most likely in there.

It's all corrected for me. My cert and medical appear in the db. They didn't put my address, though, so that's good.

Less than 50 with my last name in the database. Nobody with my first name.

It would be best if your other personal information didn't appear, but the FAA steadfastly refuses to obey federal law.

Back