medical flight test For SODA

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by Robert Davidson, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Robert Davidson

Robert Davidson Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    avjet
    My son has amblyopia in the left eye. He is 20/20 in the right, 20/40 in the left. He currently is a multi engine private pilot about to take his instrument check ride, with a third class medical no limitation, trying to get a first class through a medical flight test. We are trying to set up a SODA ride, but the local flight surgeon is saying that the federal flight surgeon in DC is requiring that the Flight Medical Test be done in a transport category airplane. Anyone ever heard of this??? I’ve searched high low and every pilot that has the same condition has taken the SODA ride in a trainer. I asked the local flight surgeon exactly how we are supposed to rent a 737 or G650 for a checkride, and they said that the ride can be done in a Full motion flight simulator, which should only be about 8k an hour. Where is this coming from? Anyone heard of this??

2. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    I've known a couple of people who've done SODA flights; one for color blindness, the other for a deformed leg. Neither flew anything larger than a 172.

3. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
  4. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Canis Non Grata
    Since it is for a SODA, I think it should be conducted in an appropriate plane.

upload_2019-6-28_19-57-10.jpeg

benyflyguy and Kenny Phillips like this.
  5. bbchien

bbchien Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    That’s ‘cause he’s already has a non-atp level type rating?
    King Air 300?

He needs to do it at sitcom or in whatever he is typed...or somebody did a boo boo. maybe the local AME mis heard?

6. Robert Davidson

Display Name:

Display name:
    avjet

He just has a private single and multi engine rating. No type ratings, about to take his instrument in our Travel Air. It’s coming from the flight surgeon from the SW region, who is saying that the federal flight surgeon in DC is the one demanding the ride be done in a transport category airplane.

7. bbchien

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    Well is there a letter to that effect?

8. Robert Davidson

Display Name:

Display name:
    avjet
    No. The local federal flight surgeon is telling me that it’s just what the new flight surgeon In DC wants, and it was all done over a conference call. My local flight surgeon told me the quote from the federal flight surgeon in DC was “we want the SODA done in a faster plane because it arrives at the accident scene faster”. I asked what kind of plane and they weren’t sure, but one that would go over 250 knots. Utterly ridiculous.

9. bbchien

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    It's not in writing. Write the agency at OKC a letter requesting a Soda ride. You'll be answered in about two months with the "bring an aircraft in which you are rated, with you to the FSDO- call and make the appointment. No paper= that conversation never occurred.

What malarkey. When he gets o the airlines, he'll prove himself in sim. Malarkey.

TCABM likes this.