Medical denial due to felony

cevan24

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cevan24
I am a wanting to finish my PPL but have a felony conviction for Arson with a conviction date of MAY 2012. I have never had a driving or alcohol issue and am healthy. My last medical was August 2006. Will this be an automatic denial of my medical? I have read that there is a 1 year wait and a 10 year wait. Thank you for any reply's.

Last edited:
I am a wanting to finish my PPL but have a felony conviction for Arson with a conviction date of MAY 2012.

The FAA is mainly concerned with Drug or Alcohol offenses. You want to get reviewed sooner rather than later before wasting money. Call a FSDO and ask them.

Felony Arson is #24 of the TSA's "grounding conditions" and will not be reconsidered until 2026, per this attachment. Seems the TSA thinks that you need ten years down with a spotless record of being a good citizen, before they will allow you to be considered.

Attachments

• Disqualifying Criminal Offenses-A.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 391
Ahhh.... arson conviction? Is this another joke?
Did you lite a fire on the way back from Mexico? Did the underage girl do it??

Did your last medical expire in 2006? Or was it issued in 2006? If it was issued in 2006 and expired in less than 10 years ago, and your medical was not denied, revoked, or suspended then you may could fly under BasicMed.

What is #10?
"Lighting violations involving transporting controlled substances; 49 U.S.C. 46315."
Night flying lights-out with a load of fentanyl?

Thank you for all the responses. My last medical was issued in August 2006 so I wondered about using BasicMed. Just don't want to cause myself more troubles and possibly delay longer or never get my medical. I have waited 5 years and can wait 5 more.

You have been referred to the Gold Standard of AMEs: Dr. Bruce Chien. He has responded in person to you in this thread. Call him and do what he says. Most everything else you read or are told is wishful thinking from folks who mean well but do not know the exact protocol that will get you in the air.

Will do, thank you Skip. He said I would have to wait it out do that is what I will do. No need to cause anymore problems for myself.

Felony Arson is #24 of the TSA's "grounding conditions" and will not be reconsidered until 2026, per this attachment. Seems the TSA thinks that you need ten years down with a spotless record of being a good citizen, before they will allow you to be considered.
Is it really 2026? If the conviction was 2012, wouldn't it be 2022?

If your last medical was 8/2006 you can almost certainly qualify for Basic Med. Look into this - even if you eventually go for your class I/II/III medical again when able. Until then, if you were not denied back in 2006, you should be able to continue on under Basic Med - IF you get to it right away before the timer runs out on you.

If your last medical was 8/2006 you can almost certainly qualify for Basic Med. Look into this - even if you eventually go for your class I/II/III medical again when able. Until then, if you were not denied back in 2006, you should be able to continue on under Basic Med - IF you get to it right away before the timer runs out on you.
Timer? I am under the impression that if you held a valid medical in the prior 10 years you are good whenever in the future you decide to go Basic Med. Do you need to get Basic Med within 10 years of your last medical? Obviously no one would be over that yet, but soon.

Will do, thank you Skip. He said I would have to wait it out do that is what I will do. No need to cause anymore problems for myself.

Nothing will prevent you from taking lessons with a willing CFI during this period. You are prohibited from flying solo, however. -Skip

Convicted of felony arson.... my God I hope Dr Bruce cannot help you.

So I gather you're the dude who wanted to fly the under age undocumented chick back from Mexico? Now you cop to being a convicted arsonist? Yeah, I'm going with you probably need to be more worried about keeping your butt out of jail going forward than getting your pilot certificate, or you are the most fun troll we have lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timer? I am under the impression that if you held a valid medical in the prior 10 years you are good whenever in the future you decide to go Basic Med. Do you need to get Basic Med within 10 years of your last medical? Obviously no one would be over that yet, but soon.
????? Since the OP's last medical was August, 2006, he went over 10 years in August, 2016.

Last edited:
Please explain how he would qualify for Basic Med.

????? Since the OP's last medical was August, 2006, he went over 10 years in August, 2016.
My understanding is that you don't go by the date his last medical was issued; you go by the date his last medical expired.

Please explain how he would qualify for Basic Med.
You qualify for BasicMed if your last medical expired on or after July 15, 2006 (which is 10 years before the 2016 FAA Reauthorization Act was signed into law) and you meet the other requirements.

beavis-and-butthead-huhhuhuhh-fire-fire-fire.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back