Medical Certificate

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
I was reading some threads about carrying your medical certificate or having it readily available in the aircraft. For months I been thinking - yeah, I carry mine in my logbook that's in my flight bag. I thought I better check to make sure it's there. Then I remember - my 3rd class medical served as my student license. When I passed my PPL checkride, the examiner took it out of my logbook and replaced it with a Temporary Airman Certificate, which means, I no longer have a medical certificate on board. This was the only document I recall receiving from the doctors office.

I guess my question is, am I better off requesting this certificate from the FAA or my doctors offic?. I haven't thought much about it since the day it was taped into my logbook and completely forgot about it the day of the checkride.

Thanks
Benjamin

Hold up, your DPE took your medical???

I'd be having a come to Jesus with that idiot.

As per the first part, I carry my medical and certificates in my wallet, don't carry a flight bag or logs for 99% of my flights, well my log is digital, so to be specific my logs are on me if I have my iphone or iPad or a Internet connection.

Partially with @James331 except that I keep my cert and medical in my logbook. Someone taking any of those would have some 'splaining to do.

Hmm - maybe I am confused. I just know my medical served as my student license and that's what was swapped out for my temporary. I just don't know the 4x5" card that some folks have mentioned in other threads or any other documentation for that matter. Ill contact the FAA - I see their medical replacement form. $2 bucks.

Benjamin

Partially with @James331 except that I keep my cert and medical in my logbook. Someone taking any of those would have some 'splaining to do.

You take your logbook on flights? I don't want my logbook anywhere near the airplane if I can avoid it. If I'm not getting someone's signature for something it stays at home locked in the fire safe. The only time it travels anywhere is during training.

I log non-training flights in MyFlightBook (and in our on board aircraft notebook in our plane since all flights are written in it anyway) and transfer them to the master paper log at home

Certs and medical are in my wallet.

I was reading some threads about carrying your medical certificate or having it readily available in the aircraft. For months I been thinking - yeah, I carry mine in my logbook that's in my flight bag. I thought I better check to make sure it's there. Then I remember - my 3rd class medical served as my student license. When I passed my PPL checkride, the examiner took it out of my logbook and replaced it with a Temporary Airman Certificate, which means, I no longer have a medical certificate on board. This was the only document I recall receiving from the doctors office.

I guess my question is, am I better off requesting this certificate from the FAA or my doctors offic?. I haven't thought much about it since the day it was taped into my logbook and completely forgot about it the day of the checkride.

Thanks
Benjamin
OK. In April 2016 the student pilot certificate was separated from the medical certificate, such that if you held such a student pilot certificate the DPE would take that (or let you keep it and just punch a hole in the hologram of the certificate) when issuing your temporary private pilot certificate. If you held one of the old student pilot / medical certificates, he was not supposed to do anything with it. I'm pretty sure a DPE would know the difference and not inadvertently take someone's medical certificate, but it sounds like it's a moot point--you discovered how to get a replacement. For me, medical certificate gets fold in half and sits between my pilot and instructor certificates in my wallet; logbook stays home. There are too many threads on people loosing their logbook.

Hmm - maybe I am confused. I just know my medical served as my student license and that's what was swapped out for my temporary. I just don't know the 4x5" card that some folks have mentioned in other threads or any other documentation for that matter. Ill contact the FAA - I see their medical replacement form. $2 bucks.

Benjamin

My medical was printed out on a full sheet of paper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep the logbook at home and carry your medical and license in your wallet.

That would require buying a wallet ;) I haven't carried a wallet for about 10 years. My back feels better and it's amazing how little I actually need to carry. ID, business cc, personal cc, and some cash. When I did carry a wallet it got really thick with stuffs I didn't need most of the time.

That would require buying a wallet ;) I haven't carried a wallet for about 10 years. My back feels better and it's amazing how little I actually need to carry. ID, business cc, personal cc, and some cash. When I did carry a wallet it got really thick with stuffs I didn't need most of the time.

Thanks
Benjamin

Contact the FAA FSDO.

I will start leaving the paper logbook home. It's carry over from student flying with endorsements / medical / student pilot cert. I have triplicate of my logs (Paper / MyFlightbook / ForeFlight). Will request a duplicate medical. Not a problem.

Thanks
Benjamin

I used to sit on my wallet and also had pain, then I started wearing some kind of jacket most of the time so it stays in the pocket.

My medical was printed out on a full sheet of paper

Yes, with the MedXpress that happens. But IIRC, the certificate can be cut down to the margins and folded in half that fits perfectly between my Pilot certificate and my CFI certificate in my wallet.

Back